Work in progress - CH53 propeller

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 07 July 2017   #1
Work in progress - CH53 propeller

Hey guys, here's some work in progress on a Sikorsky CH53 propeller I've been modeling in 3ds Max. Working on texturing and lookdev as we speak. Will try to keep this thread updated as I continue on with the project.

Old 07 July 2017   #2
Great work Andreas!

Old 07 July 2017   #3
Nice work. The CH53 rotor head is interesting, as it has different proportions from most other helicopters, but that is because it is so massive. Throw it into Keyshot and add some colours and it will really shine.

Last edited by Telemachus : 07 July 2017 at 05:55 PM.

Old 07 July 2017   #4
wtf is it??

that's a ton of detail!! are you going to zoom in on it?
or is this just a tiny part of a giant model?

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5
Originally Posted by Travis: Great work Andreas!
Thank you Travis!

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6
Originally Posted by Telemachus: Nice work. The CH53 rotor head is interesting, as it has different proportions from most other helicopters, but that is because it is so massive. Throw it into Keyshot and add some colours and it will really shine.

Thanks man! Yes, it inspired me so much, absolutely had to model it. I'll be posting some renders later today.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7
Originally Posted by Tad: wtf is it??

that's a ton of detail!! are you going to zoom in on it?
or is this just a tiny part of a giant model?

Haha thanks man! I'll be doing some zoomed-in renders for sure, but I've only modelled the propeller. It's by far the most interesting part of the helicopter in my opinion haha.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8
It's beautifully done so far and I look forward to seeing more as it progresses.

The nitpicking pedant in me wants to point out that it is not a propeller, it is a rotor. If it propels an aircraft with wings generating most of the lift it is a propeller, if it does most or all of the lifting then it is a rotor. Of course none of that detracts from the fact that it is very well modelled.

"A man who is full of venom most of all poisons himself".

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9
Originally Posted by FireAngel: It's beautifully done so far and I look forward to seeing more as it progresses.

The nitpicking pedant in me wants to point out that it is not a propeller, it is a rotor. If it propels an aircraft with wings generating most of the lift it is a propeller, if it does most or all of the lifting then it is a rotor. Of course none of that detracts from the fact that it is very well modelled.

Thank you!

Ah, thanks for pointing that out actually. Was not aware. I should probably rename it in my portfolio, might as well use the right terms

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10
Originally Posted by AndreasKJ: Thank you!

Ah, thanks for pointing that out actually. Was not aware. I should probably rename it in my portfolio, might as well use the right terms
I'm glad you took that as helpful, that's the way I meant it. I guessed from your name that there was a good chance that English is not your first language so I wanted to be helpful.

"A man who is full of venom most of all poisons himself".

reply share thread