Vehicle: Mercedes SL500

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2004
Quote: Originally posted by furo
stop thinking about "Maybe there is something wrong with how i rendered them".. tdotmusiq just told that rims not looks good.. but i saw a lot of sl500 rims and be sure, your choice is absolutely perfect.. you reached exactly what you said (about expensive look and that's the point) ..
simply,your rims are really really the best for this car from all existing ones.. i've got a taste,be sure .. and you finally too.. ok, keep workin', i'm curious for interior

That's the point man! I agree with furo.
I'm liking you work but... I need to know how the interior will turn out.
Keep going!
I'll be watching arround.

Projects :
4Z-XR Concept car W.I.P.

05 May 2004
super: to make a grille u create a plane, subdivide it big time, select all the faces, and extrude them inwards, and then delete them. Be sure that u scale the faces before extrudind them inwards, for which u gotta uncheck "keep faces together".
That grille shall not be meshsmoothed aftermath, for it'll be too heavy and the program may just quit on u.
For the rims question: the second picture is actually the first render and it's just a standard technique (no GI, no FG). The first picture, whereas the second render, is the result of FG. I'm still deciding which one to use : GI or FG? To tell the truth, i don't even know the difference.

szyszek80: Bro, here is the situation: i have two files: one is for rendering and the other one is for modeling. As you know, the car can't just update itself in the rendering file. I'm modeling this car in a separate file, so i won't have to rebuild the scene for rendering over and over. Those wipers will be fixed, so don't worry about them. THe reason why i'm rendering the car is to achieve a good paint look, but this went further and i ever added materials to the rest of the car. I think this is my last render of the "old" car, so i'm just gonna stick with the modeling of it for now. THe model in the modeling file is pretty different: the engine is more complex; there are some interior parts modeled, and i did a lot of tweaking too.
I hope this makes sense. You haven't seen the actual model in about 1 week or so, but i'm showing it to u now.

furo: True that. I'm just gonna give less thought to the comments i don't appreciate ( tdotmusiq and trance_dom). I like the rims, u like the rims, hell, everybody likes those rims. That's what im talking about!.

el_shadow: Hah, don't be that impatient. I'm doing it, man. WHat's this :" ...but, i need to know how it'll turn out?"
- Are you not so sure i'm going to pull that off?
It's like me saying "i need to know how ur next concept car will turn out. Feeling me, man?

05 May 2004
yes there are 5 sided

yeah..they're there...on the wire you gave..tons of them...they also can mess up your texturing...but car modelers are afraid of textures so yeah....is this nurbs btw???? cuz if it is a best stfu since i don't know anything about nurbs....so plz do some texturing, spec work...sick of seeing like cars with no textures and same gay environment map on....thx

05 May 2004
he said millions of times that this is poly!!
and in my opinion, there is no point in texturing an unfinished model, because it just gets you distracted from modelling (and this is backed up no experience). Besides, I like these "clay" renders
I've seen some cars where I liked the clay model better than the textured one keep up the good work, and certainly... take all the time you need.. I'll be waiting to admire the work

05 May 2004
That statement means I'm impatient and dying to see the interior since the exterior is awsome.

About my concept... hum, I've got a little and short Ideas by now. BUt before that concept I'll model an MX-3 to a friend of mine whi will tune up his own for real and he whants to see how it'll turn out before doing any changes at the main body.

so... that's the secret huh? modeling and rendering in separeted files? Ahh! Great Idea. I guess I'll adopt that technnique too.

That's wicked dude. The engine is polymodeling to??? WOW! I'm suprised.

Projects :
4Z-XR Concept car W.I.P.

Last edited by shadowkeeper : 05 May 2004 at 08:11 AM.

05 May 2004
dang, gotta love the detail! keep that up. I'm working on a car/scene with as much detail as you are going to. What it is of and the scene won't be seen by you until it's completely done and textured (pretty much just starting the interior, still need to do the engine and the scene is close to done.....oh and I don't really know how to texture yet *yikes*)

Anyways keep it up!

<<<RX-7 Project>>>
<<Integra Project>>

Homepage

05 May 2004
Hi~ TheShaddix

Thanks a lot. About the "keep faces together", I can't find it in XSI, I think it's only in Maya. In XSI, I find a "merge" in Extrude operater stack. Anyway, it's effect as same as keep faces together when extruding.

And your problem, you have a two file, you hope the render file can update when you modify the model file. Maybe you can use "referenced model"

(1)create a new "model" , because the "scene root" can't export.
step 1

(2)add your "car"into the "model" you create in the exploer window. I test a "sphere", so step2

(3)export your model use file>export>model
step3

then you can modify your car anything..................then remember export the file again.

(4)start a new scene and import your model as "referenced model".
step4

(5)in exploer window , right click on your referenced model then choose "update referenced model"
step5

that's all, you can see the change, I hope this is useful for you.

Last edited by super : 05 May 2004 at 09:34 AM.

05 May 2004
AWESOME model. Do you work from photos? Blueprints? Scale models?

Mate, you've got the skills, hands down. Just don't take criticism so bad, cos it undermines your obvious talent.

Cheers.

05 May 2004
trance_dom: i guess u know this stuff better, mate. I don't see any 5-sided polygons, plus that question of urs: is this a nurbs model? "- that was kind of unintelligent, you know? THe fact that in almost every post i make i mention "poly" can lead u to a very simple conclusion (especially that u can see the wires too, duh) that this is a poly model. Look at the engine wire: wouldn't it be easier to just trim those little holes and then fillet the edges ? Man, i think you should get more experience in this field b4 you make any statements. You haven't said one good thing about my work, so why would i want to treat ur criticism with respect (while u can't even prove ur words) ? I can't see any 5-sided poly's, but ur still saying there are a ton of them. If u could just point them out, i could explain it. All i've heard by far is "u've got 5-sided poly's". It doesn't mean sh*t until u prove it.
ALso, why would i want to texture it at this stage? Plus, u don't even know my plans for this model. Maybe i just want to model it and let someone else texture/render it. Man, seems like u dunno that much about modeling itself, hah. I apologize if i'm wrong, but i think u're just giving me hard time here not even having any work of ur own (any good work). It's like me criticizing some pro CG movie like "Finding Nemo". There is nothing wrong in giving some light critiques as i'm rolling, but u just keep posting them little unprofessinal posts like a little kid. Prove me wrong if u please.

szyszek80: that's my man.

el_shadow: ok, i see now. I'm workin on the interior as we speak, so i'll post something tonight probably.

87Supra: Possible to post some screen shots?

super: Ahh, how did u know that? About that "keep faces together" thing : i wasn't sure that u were using XSi, so i assumed it was Maya. In XSI, it's "merge", yep; uncheck that one, set the extrude to 0, and u're set. I'll post some close up wires of the grille. And, thanks for that big reply- this is the kind of posts i appreciate the most. I'll use ur method asap.

FauLTYMOoSe: Thanks, man. I can't help it though, heh. It's sort of fun to argue with some unqualified peers sometimes, u know?

Last edited by TheShaddix : 05 May 2004 at 03:35 PM.

05 May 2004
hmm.... I got a question.. yes, it may be very basic, but still
I've just started to model a car - Mercedes ML (guess who inspired me.. lol). Question is, how did you make this... grille thing? I don't know what it's called, so I'm linking one of your pics:Pic

05 May 2004
Here it is (made it right after u'd posted )
Minitutorial

The.finished.Grille

I hope it helps.

05 May 2004
ok thanks... I'll try to figure something out using this.. maybe hard because I'm using Cinema 4D, but I'll try ... thanks again

hmm.. what is the equivalent of bevel in Cinema? anyone?

Last edited by szyszek80 : 05 May 2004 at 04:40 PM.

05 May 2004
wow ..great work man ..

05 May 2004
*Boggel Eyed * Wow Talk about Detail on that car!

.:: For More Stuff on Dave Check out www.cgnspire.com ::.

05 May 2004
i caught my pc crying when i was lookin at those pics, that is some some detail man, i mean damn,...

Thread Closed share thread