Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 08-08-2016, 09:16 PM   #1
DarkMizu
Expert

portfolio
Richard John
Miami, USA

I need advice on recreating a pokemon scene....

I'm trying to recreate this scene I saw online. With this whole pokemon GO thing, I had to jump on the bandwagon.

I'm not exactly sure how to approach this scene since, mewtwo Y has alot of psychic abilities going on. I tried using some Maya fluids, but I'm not getting the right results I want. Can someone point me in the right direction? What's the best approach to get this psychic effect?

Here are some renders I have right now.

(With Effect)

(Without Effect)

(Smoke Pass)

Last edited by DarkMizu : 08-08-2016 at 09:28 PM.

Old 08-14-2016, 02:59 AM   #2
DarkMizu
Expert

portfolio
Richard John
Miami, USA

Just doing a test render

http://imgur.com/a/RRZb1

Old 08-14-2016, 03:21 AM   #3
Vielmond
lvl 27 artist

portfolio
Camila Vielmond
Concept artist & Illustrator
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

You need the inkdrop effect there.

Those puffs of smoke are too puffy. He looks either on fire or steaming. It's not helping your render at all. Regardless of the effect of the choice, you'll also need to control where you place it. The anime scene has it only on the edges for a reason: If it overlapped the character it would simply hide him.

Use the effect to backlit him, perhaps a bit here and there overlapping, but with extreme moderation to not detract from the character instead of highlighting him.

There is a tutorial for Blender: (link)

You'll need to search one for Maya, or figure it out by checking what settings were used in this tutorial and doing the equivalent on Maya.

I hope that helps, and keep up with the good work!

Old 08-14-2016, 04:09 AM   #4
DarkMizu
Expert

portfolio
Richard John
Miami, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vielmond
You need the inkdrop effect there.

Those puffs of smoke are too puffy. He looks either on fire or steaming. It's not helping your render at all. Regardless of the effect of the choice, you'll also need to control where you place it. The anime scene has it only on the edges for a reason: If it overlapped the character it would simply hide him.

Use the effect to backlit him, perhaps a bit here and there overlapping, but with extreme moderation to not detract from the character instead of highlighting him.

There is a tutorial for Blender: (link)

You'll need to search one for Maya, or figure it out by checking what settings were used in this tutorial and doing the equivalent on Maya.

I hope that helps, and keep up with the good work!

That inkdrop idea sounds interesting, I might give it a shot. As for the character being on fire/steam.........You're right! In the cartoon the aura didn't engulf the character, it complimented it, so you had time to appreciate the characters transformation or powerup. Anyway, it's hard to translate that sort of thing into 3d.

I've invested alot of time trying to find the right effect without hiding the character, but I just couldn't troubleshoot it. I might check out that blender tutorial you recommended, maybe it might point me in the right direction. Don't worry, knowing maya has its advantages, I'm sure blender won't be hard to decipher.

Last edited by DarkMizu : 08-14-2016 at 04:27 AM.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:43 AM   #5
DarkMizu
Expert

portfolio
Richard John
Miami, USA

I found a few Maya tutorials on how to do ink effects with fluids, but in the mean time I just wanted to post my progress on the development of the character and the scene.

Sample Render 2

Sample Render 3

I also need help on creating believable grass. using just vray fur, just isn't cutting it.

Last edited by DarkMizu : 08-19-2016 at 12:58 PM.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:14 PM   #6
Vielmond
lvl 27 artist

portfolio
Camila Vielmond
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Those are some nice bushes you got there!

Well, what about a particles system for your grass?

Old 08-26-2016, 11:44 PM   #7
DarkMizu
Expert

portfolio
Richard John
Miami, USA

through particles, very clever.....I'm not sure whether the plugin I'm using uses locators or particles, but i'm guessing it's similar. Anyway here are the results

Grass Test 1

Since the anime is hard to translate into 3d, I'm assuming the grass in the picture is either wild grass or cut. If it's cut, then I wanted something similar to this render I saw online.

http://orig07.deviantart.net/95f9/f..._by_alejit0.jpg

More scattering test. Not happy with the distribution of the grass blades at all

AnotherTest

Last edited by DarkMizu : 08-29-2016 at 05:28 PM.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:06 PM   #8
Vielmond
lvl 27 artist

portfolio
Camila Vielmond
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

You're welcome! That's just another thing I picked from a post on Blender, though I think using instanced particles is very common for grass no matter your software of choice. Can't say for sure since I'm not a 3D artist.

If I had to guess the grass is short, that kind of puffy grass that grow in clumps. In that case you'll have to make it grow more or less in a radial pattern instead of pointing everywhere. Examples:

Weeping grass.

Zoysia grass.

Old 09-01-2016, 01:56 PM   #9
DarkMizu
Expert

portfolio
Richard John
Miami, USA

Actually you're giving me pretty good advice for a non 3d artist. I've seen your work and you definitely know what you're doing, so anything you say is valid. I like the second image alot. I'm trying to get that fluffy grass appearance but it's tough. I'm not sure if those little brown things are mushrooms or not, but I might add that in the scene to see if it changes anything. I might also add some rocks, stones and twigs to see if that improves the render because the default grass render i have at the moment just isn't good enough. Also, the images you posted gave me an idea of adding a dirt trail in the scene, even though the original anime images doesnt have that

Here's the render (desaturation, glare, and slight vignette effects).

These test are driving me crazy

The renders are also taking longer each time. I baked the irradiance map and light cache and it's still around 4 hours. That's of course with SSS, Ambient, and specular passes. The previous renders were only 1 hour long

Last edited by DarkMizu : 09-01-2016 at 02:10 PM.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:40 PM   #10
DGruwier
PRO

portfolio
David Gruwier Larsen
Motion Graphics Designer
M2Film
Denmark

What are you using for scattering? Whatever it is, are you using proxies for the grass? Render times are hard to diagnose remotely, but that grass should take minutes to render on the latest vray and a decent computer, not hours. Try using brute force instead of radiance maps (it's faster and more accurate on very complex geometry), and if you've tweaked the settings in the image sampling tab, try resetting them to the defaults.
Remember to test it in the same lighting setup you're going to eventually use.

As for the smoke effect, notice how in your reference the smoke doesn't actually cover the character, it's more of an outline, and it's a solid, glowing color. If you make it fit tighter around the model, then place it behind, that might work better, and if you don't light it, but color it in the compositing stage, that might also look better.

Overall, the pokemon style is difficult to translate into photorealism without some interpretation, so you might want to go for pixar style realism instead. I think that would fit the source material better and give you more freedom to do something that looks badass.

Last edited by DGruwier : 03-06-2017 at 08:07 PM.

Old 03-08-2017, 04:16 PM   #11
jhealyvfx
Scholar

portfolio
Jason Healy
Freelance Artist
Columbus, USA

For your fluid to get a rim effect, take a couple Face rings around your guy and duplicate them so that they are a separate object. Then create a fluid container. Next do an emit by object and select the ring of faces you made.

Some setting you want to mess with in the fluid container are:

1: turn on temperature
2: turn the buoyancy off on both the density and the temperature
3. turn off either the x or the z velocity scale. (this is going to prevent the fluid from covering your object.)
4. turn on some velocity swirl and noise and mess with some turbulence strength to get the look you want.
5. you might also want to increase your density and temperature dissipation to get a shorter life span.

For the grass I would look into nHair and xGen creation using instanced geometry.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:49 PM   #12
luuucy
Explorer
portfolio
Lucy Brook
freelancer
London, United Kingdom

Cool one! Is this a some form of Mew? Looks amazing, very good model.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:22 PM   #13
DarkMizu
Expert

portfolio
Richard John
Miami, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by luuucy
Cool one! Is this a some form of Mew? Looks amazing, very good model.

I didn't expect my old thread to be resurrected. Anyway, the pokemon is Mewtwo Y, it's a mega evolution of mewtwo. To answer the other questions, I used vray scatter for the grass. I guess lowering the threshold from 0.001 to something more manageable in the render settings would also help the render time. Vray scatter uses proxies, but to be honest I didn't notice much of a difference in render time, between using proxies and dublicating the grass blades. The only difference was the proxies made the viewport much lighter. Sadly, I deleted the character textures by mistake since I had to take a live test for a gaming company and I wanted my desktop clean of files and I had texture files scattered everywhere. I was very disorganized back then, but I know a lot better now (Naming conventions, keeping everything organized and keeping things tidy is a big priority). Knowing that they're still people looking at this, gives me the proper motivation to atleast finish this and make all the necessary corrections.

Also, that's pretty cool jhealyvfx. I might have to give that a shot once I re texture the character again.

Last edited by DarkMizu : 04-05-2017 at 11:26 PM.

reply share thread