RCAF Fleet 16 "Finch"

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

07 July 2017
Now we start the fun part of this model, details! Added some to the exhaust system and also started adding them to the cowling etc.

Cobra 6
LinkedIn

08 August 2017
Added a load more detail to the area in front of the cockpit as well as on the wing struts. Finally the wings are also actually connected to the fuselage now

While doing this I found out I had the orientation of the wing struts and wires slightly off so I had to tweak that including all the fuel lines etc.

Also, for some magical reason I had the fabric shader assigned to the windscreens for a while now so that was corrected as well

Cobra 6
LinkedIn

08 August 2017
Was able to put in a few more hours this weekend which resulted in the wings now being attached to the struts everywhere as well as the wires being attached to the wings.

Also started putting in instrument panels/backrest panels and had to do some minor corrections to the front cockpit shape (panel shapes not correct around the windscreen and instrument panel).

Cobra6
LinkedIn

08 August 2017
Wow, this is looking really good!I love the latest update, the model has changed so much (for the better) since you originally posted!

09 September 2017
Yeah it has even though it's a slow build this one Thanks!

An update after putting in another couple of hours this weekend which do not show up much in the renders unfortunately =/
Managed to actually find a factory drawing for the tube-/airframe of this thing and after modelling the frame, I found out that my eye-balling was a bit off in certain areas, mainly the wing-struts near the windshield and the height of the area where the fabric fuselage meets the metal cover panel. It turned out my border was slightly too high.

All of this is corrected now and the fuselage airframe is in place.

Cobra6
LinkedIn

09 September 2017
Originally Posted by cobra6: Hey Mike! Long time no see buddy, how are you?
Ya man its been a while . But Im doing good on my end. This project is looking quite impressive.

09 September 2017
Originally Posted by mjag: Ya man its been a while . But Im doing good on my end. This project is looking quite impressive.
Good to hear! You dropped off the radar for a while

It's a slow build this one but I'm getting to the more interesting stages now!

Cobra 6
LinkedIn

09 September 2017
Ya, I did drop off for a bit. Ive been super slammed at work for the past year.
Now Im finally getting some free time to get back to some personal work

(It's a slow build this one but I'm getting to the more interesting stages now! )

Nothing wrong with the speed the slower builds tend to be the better ones !!

09 September 2017
That is good to know, hopefully something will show up either here or at military-meshes

Yeah usually I work a lot faster if I could dedicate myself to it full-time, but alas there's normal job so I only get to work on this a few hours over the weekend occasionally.

Cobra 6
LinkedIn

09 September 2017
Started fleshing out both cockpits as well as working on the airframe etc. In the second image there is some odd lightbleed behind the wooden supports on the inside and I could not yet figure out where it was coming from. It's not intersecting or doing anything weird and that is the only area where it shows up, so the investigation continues.

I've also optimised the render settings so I get less noise in the dark/shadows.

Cobra 6
LinkedIn

09 September 2017
Throttle quadrant complete including the linkage between both cockpits. Control columns and all linkages completed as well (was funny figuring out how it worked) and the mounting for the leather pads protecting the pilots from injury on the side of the cockpit also modelled.

Next up, some flooring stuff to get right and then it's time for either instrument panel or other cockpit fittings, I'll decide on that next weekend

Cobra6
LinkedIn

10 October 2017
Modelled in the rudder panels and the connecting rod as well as the fuel switch for the front cockpit.
Also finished the cockpit floor and changed the width of the rudder foot trenches.

Had to revisit the airframe again to make sure all the tubes were the correct diameter. Before I gave them a temporary one which was equal for al but a lot of them were actually thinner. All correct thickness's now however.

LinkedIn

10 October 2017
As I've been in contact with someone who owns a Fleet 16 Finch (and restored two) he was kind enough to send me very valuable reference photos and give feedback on details in my model.

This resulted in some changes, most noticeably:
- The landing wires on the main wings are now crossed (this is the correct rigging, most Finch's nowadays are rigged wrong)
- I was able to properly finish the top of the exhaust system, there is an inlet for hot air on the hooded version of the Finch and a connector pipe which is almost never used.
- The rudder system was overhauled as I didn't get it correct from my old photos.
- The rear-outer wing strut has an adjuster for the wing wash-in and wash-out now.

There are more details coming but this was all I could get done this Sunday

Cobra6
LinkedIn

10 October 2017
Outstanding as always cobra!

4 Weeks Ago
Thanks man! How are you?

Cobra 6
LinkedIn

reply share thread