| Character Animation | Leo Gives performance

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

04 April 2004
Question Curious

Hi, just curious as to what app you used to model and texture this project? MAYA, MAX.

I just went on project messiah's website and it was blowing me away! Is messiah that easy to use for animation?

I'm using MAYA right now to do my animation final for school. I've built the rigg for my characters entirely from scratch in MAYA and it took soooo long. How is it with messiah?

Sorry for all the questions, just wanted to know cause I may just purchase the messiah animation package soon.

How's the animation going?

04 April 2004
LOL My background has been mainly lightwave, but I was schooled in 3Dstudio and 3DsMax. From my experience, Messiah has a huge speed advantage vs maya and lightwave, but I honestly don't know for max.

While most of the time bones work, there are times when adding bones seems to be a struggle. What I'm referring to is weightmaps for bones. In maya, and many other apps you have to paint those weights to help set up your character for better bone control. In messiah, it is an option to use weighting and set up your own weight, but the bones usually rock and have a great influence on the rig/setup as a whole.

Now there are those moments where when you do want to add some bones they get a little tricky with movement in its 3d space (but it doesn't affect the movement of the bones when animating). If you've played with LW then you'll know what I'm referring to for set up and bone placement.

But I've been quite happy with messiah. I run the studio version, and the renderer is still being worked on, but that may change since they just stated that ver. 2 will be out soon. <-- WOOT!!

Also it is very kew how messiah plugs into your host app. Bone data isn't transfered but the deformation occurs on the fly/realtime. I'm still amazed at how interactive the host app and messiah are.

Since messiah communicates with multiple apps, if rendering is your thing, you know have many more possibities. You could model in maya. Then animate in messiah, and render in lightwave. Of max would work (and just think of all those different rendering engines not availble directly for maya and lightwave).

I personally would say keep learning maya. Since alias has made it a package in most studios, you can't go wrong with the technical, but as we all know the tools are just a minor part, skill can be transfered from one tool to the next. Also, I recall project deadline massivly crazy (or way back in the day for me), so throwing in another app on top of all this could become quite insane.

I do encourage you to go dl the demo [www.projectmessiah.com] because of the fun and ease, and the HUGE smile it puts on your face. The main reason is, you get to try it without buying it. There are a few tutorial, and a growing community of people, including myself who would help you learn/play with it ~ hell many of us continually play with since it's just a baby (but a very powerful baby).
  04 April 2004
Whoops, I forgot about the animating...

It's going, but it's died down again. I've had 2 massive projects and a girlfriend's bday keep me away from it. It is going well though, I've got rats running around, and mousers trying to break through the wall... I can't wait to show this version!

Thanks for asking... What are you working on in school right now?
  04 April 2004
Talking Cool!

Cool, lot's of info, thanks!

My main concern is that, I want to integrate a very "simple" animation package into Maya to speed up my workflow. I'm not a big fan of the way Maya 5 handles animation. You can't see anything in "realtime" unless you do a playblast first and even that takes forever. It's hard to get instant feedback on the motion the way you would in Motion Builder or other similar packages. I hate it, cause I really like everything else about Maya, just not animating in it. It's a real drag sometimes. I can rigg in it no prob!

I'm working on about a 58 second animation. In fact, it's due tommorow and I'm rendering as we speak : ) 2046 frames. I designed, modeled, textured, and animated everything with Maya 5 and Photoshop 7. Here are some screenshots. Also working on a Knight which I posted here but no one seems to care :( ...sniff, sniff...

Here are some pics of my final. Thanks for all the info! You've been very helpful and I hope I've been the same!

05 May 2004
Quote: Originally posted by kvernon

It's going, but it's died down again. I've had 2 massive projects and a girlfriend's bday keep me away from it.

the root of evil

I personally think the animation lacks muck. The movements are still way too snappy and slow. I don't know if you try to anticipate with the first kick there, but it's not working well. I also don't feel any power in it. I also think you should add a bit of translate in the Y axis to create a bit movement in the hip.

But I see great improvment. Keep it up.
  05 May 2004
Mikademius, isn't the truth tho? LOL!! Let me tell you, everything went off w/o a hitch! Me and the girly and then her, me and her family. It was a blast! The project's seemed to pass well too, so I got a little recovery time in store. (called one weekend day! AHHHHHH!!!! :-S )

Today, I'm back into the grind of things with the help of a new inspirational music from Orgy! YAY!!

Thank you for your comments! I gratefull for what you have to say. I am lost at what you mean by saying "muck"? Also when you want movement in the 'Y', are you just after a subtle "jump effect"? It would be great to pick your mind if you have a brief moment.

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread