Bok huntress

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 06 June 2014   #1
Bok huntress

Hi everyone ! I'm starting a new piece on a female humanoid character: bok huntress from the poxnora game. The Boks are a race of female flying demons. Reference art below.

My understanding of the character:
The huntress is a female demon warrior that swoops down on enemies from above. She is a combat veteran, wearing light armor with an attitude of disdain for all things mortal. Like all the other boks in game, they are a race of beautiful cold-blooded demons. I won't be adhering to all the details, prefer to inject some of my own elements to it. The key element that I want to capture is coldness and aloofness...

My objectives: only 1 >> practice, learning and honing the workflow.
Tools: Zbrush, Blender, Gimp

Current state after a week or so...working on the various pieces of body armor.

Any critique is welcome. Nothing is final... I have a tendency to go all over the place when sculpting. Thanks for reading !

edit: forgot to add...None of my work uses a tablet, I don't own one...too poor ! T.T

Last edited by phaselock : 06 June 2014 at 03:43 AM.

Old 06 June 2014   #2
Sculpting without a tablet is like painting the nightwatch with a mouse, or making the eifel tower with matchsticks, it can be done but it is a real shame for the wasted time.

Anyhow, the costume looks pretty good, the anatomy needs work and if the underlying figure is lower quality than the clothing somehow it always shows through. I think this is because we are sensitive to even the most minor changes in volume and direction, so you need a good base to build on. If you have zbrush you should try doing quick anatomy studies. As you get better your entire work process will speed up.

Old 06 June 2014   #3
Hey Kanga, thanks for the feedback. Working without a tablet is indeed hard but I will persevere ! Anyways, I fleshed out the anatomy as I went along and will continue to tweak. Costume wise, some parts are just weird and its taking more time than I like deciding how best to make it. Like the back needs to incorporate the wings, the hip and groin armors linking together etc...

Feel free to critique, I will make the necessary changes...thanks for reading !

Old 06 June 2014   #4
Wip update, added wings and body armor. In the midst of adding in details. I'm not satisfied with the quality of the hip and shoulder pieces, they seem to be missing something fierce, I think... Only favorite so far is the collar piece. Weapon and shield for last. As usual, happy to hear any suggestions/critique.

Closer view of the upper body equipment

Collar piece

Old 07 July 2014   #5
Wip update, added weapon and shield. Reworked the shoulder and hip pieces, added high frequency detail (on stuff that could handle it w/o my pc going up in smoke), posed and played with matcaps (light/shadows/colors). Below are a few that I like. The pose needs a bit more work, it doesn't seem like she's flying in mid-air... Appreciate feedback here from other eyes other than my own. Almost cross-eyed now...

Close-up:

Old 07 July 2014   #6
I love her armor! I'm not digging the wings though. It looks like you put on a cloud displacement. I would make them smooth, with veins running throughout.

Also this is just personal preference, but I like how the concept has that skirt like thing in the front, since it gives a much more feminine touch to the character. But however, your version looks much better for battle. That's just personal opinion though.

Old 07 July 2014   #7
Originally Posted by ScotchTapeWorm3D: I love her armor! I'm not digging the wings though. It looks like you put on a cloud displacement. I would make them smooth, with veins running throughout.

Also this is just personal preference, but I like how the concept has that skirt like thing in the front, since it gives a much more feminine touch to the character. But however, your version looks much better for battle. That's just personal opinion though.

I missed both completely, too much eyepower on the body and missed the other details. Thank you so much for spotting these, I will fix ! Cheers

Old 07 July 2014   #8
Quick wip update. Tweaked pose, added skirt, redid detail on the wings.

Old 07 July 2014   #9
I have to agree with Bryan, everything looks really tight except the wings. They are just too chunky and pretty far off the armored look of the concept.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 07 July 2014   #10
Originally Posted by WyattHarris: I have to agree with Bryan, everything looks really tight except the wings. They are just too chunky and pretty far off the armored look of the concept.

Hey Wyatt, thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention that the wings in the concept didn't look particularly natural to me. I did the sculpt but it didn't fit in with the character's back. Felt like Batman than a fantasy char. =) Anyways, I ditched and went with the usual leathery type demon wings. Guess its more of my own incompetence than anything. :(

I'll revisit if there's a nice inspiration of the anatomical interface or a reference somewhere. Apologies for the confusion.

edit: oops, I posted and then saw this thread made it to top row. Added reputation to everyone who commented and thanks for all the support given. Now to make sure I don't botch the texturing. =) Cheers !

Last edited by phaselock : 07 July 2014 at 01:29 AM.

Old 07 July 2014   #11
I think the wings should be thinner, and the shape more pronounced. Use the clipping curve to make some precision cuts and to define the shape, try some negative inflating to tighten them up.

Bat wings are some kind of membrane, they are very elastic and very light. It should be easy to contain a large quantity of air below them to lift their bodies. Since your character is human, perhaps they should also be larger ? (I know it is an aesthetic thing. This is just a suggestion). But all in all just make them thinner and mark those curves with the clipping curve (then remesh).

Hope this helps

Old 07 July 2014   #12
Hey Juan, you are right and I think I've figured out what's grossly wrong, it appears there might have been 1 bone too many. I will fix and redo ! Thanks for the feedback, everyone. This is a journey I couldn't have done on my own.

Old 07 July 2014   #13
Quick update, redid the wings, added some details to the shield holder. Didn't want the wings too big, I'd like the body/pose to catch the eye. Getting there...

Old 07 July 2014   #14
Huge improvement. That is looking much better.
I really like how muscular the 'arm' part of the wing looks.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 07 July 2014   #15
It's coming along nicely. When the sculpting is done, the wings would look great if they were translucent with SSS showing some veins and sunlight passing through it.

reply share thread