_Hover/ WIP

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

04 April 2014
_Hover/ WIP

Hey guys!

This is my first thread here at CGTalk!

I was trying to do a mech but I sketched this shape that looks like a hover car.
So.. I'm doing a.. hover car!

Here's some initial sreenshots including my little sketch.

Maybe it's too soon for comments and critiques but feel free to.

04 April 2014
Just because..

Lighting from HdrLabs!

04 April 2014
I like the premise an unique project, haven't seen many WIP air/land/water hovercaft? here lately interesting idea will be watching your progress in terms of direction/theme ie: civil, sci-fi, military...ect? this model will develop.

Cheers ;)

Last edited by sacboi : 04 April 2014 at 07:48 AM.

04 April 2014
Lol, Nice! From your first image, I wasn't quite sure what was going on, but It looks pretty slick with that shader on it.

Is this a 4 seater? How will it open up so passengers can get in?

04 April 2014
Originally Posted by sakboi: civil, sci-fi, military...ect?

Thank you Ian!

I'm thinking on some sort of civilian sport car, but I'm making up as the project evolves. I have many things to figure out yet.. but the cake is baking in the back of my head!

Originally Posted by AJ1: Is this a 4 seater? How will it open up so passengers can get in?

Thank you A J!

Yeah.. I guess the sketch is not that clear!
I use sketching to help me think and to create a image in my head. The final shape fine tuning is always defined in the modeling fase.
I'm not great at drawing!

I'm thinking of that 4 seater sport car with very small seats on the back kind of thing.
I will use a lot of car references to figure out that kind of stuff.

The glass dome will rise to let people out.

I appreciate your comments.

04 April 2014
Hello CG people!

Update time!

I finished the hull general shape and I'm trying some variation in the components position and shape.

I'm using booleans to make the cavities where the components will fit.
When I'm happy with the results I will retopologize the all thing to get a good topology.

The white wireframe is the boolean objects.

..and a happy render!

Cheers!

05 May 2014
Nice!...I'm liking the inclusion of what looks to be vector/swivel thrust components? to the underside, a believable futuristic design aesthetic IMO, looking forward to further updates...

Cheers ;)

05 May 2014
Love the sleek look! Can't wait to see what you may have planned for the interior!

05 May 2014
Originally Posted by sakboi: Nice!...I'm liking the inclusion of what looks to be vector/swivel thrust components? to the underside, a believable futuristic design aesthetic IMO, looking forward to further updates...

Cheers

Thank you Ian!
Yes they are (will be) thrusters.

Originally Posted by carloniw: Love the sleek look! Can't wait to see what you may have planned for the interior!

Thanks Carloniw!
I'm working on the headlight now. But I have already a faint idea for the interiors.

Turns out the headlights are freaking difficult to design! They really are the eyes of the car. Every detail changes the mood of the car. I'm drawing headlights for days now!

Well.. wish me luck! I will post an update in a few days.

05 May 2014
Cool. Now is much easier to find your Thread... I was looking your thread 2 days ago.

Regarding your project.
I like the simplicity in the model, but I would change a couple of shapes. Before I give you a comment I will wait for more. Still WIP

Looking forward to see the next step.

Happy modelling!

My Basics Mel Scripts
~{xbo_::_Scripts}~

05 May 2014
Originally Posted by 2xbo: I like the simplicity in the model, but I would change a couple of shapes.

Thank you Xavier! I will ad more detail to it. I will cut the main body into panels.

I'm not completely happy with these headlights but I'll call it done for now. I'm moving on to other parts and latter will work on them some more.

If you guys have any suggestions please share!

So.. here's the headlights.
The darker parts are those headlight "windows" (the glass/acrylic part.. don't know it's name) things.

..and a render just to see how it looks:

05 May 2014
Hey CG brothers!

I'm working on hover feet..

Still need to figure where the hydraulics go, but this design is final.. I guess..

Here it is:

05 May 2014
Hi utopia780,
Glad to see you are taking your Design forward.

Quote: I'm not completely happy with these headlights

Well i can tell also that. You ad a nice Design to your shape and the headlamps are not matching you Design. IMHO ... Remember Design is a matter of taste

I will keep for sure an eye to see whats coming soon...

CHERS!

My Basics Mel Scripts
~{xbo_::_Scripts}~

05 May 2014
Hi utopia - progress is coming along great, nice individual component design concept's - hmmm... however the headlights probably need some minor tweaking in my opinion a bit too "20th century" if that makes any sense, in other words what I mean is, in this linked example the sci-fi vehicle has an "organic" biased overall form factor or shape, similar I think to the hover so the trick is to try and match parts together aesthetically as the vehicle evolves over time, anyways just my thoughts - looking forward to future updates.

Cheers ;)

EDIT:
...whoops - The landing strut design looks good too BTW also portrays a mechanical functionality IMO, this example may be helpful in terms of possible placement of the hydraulic system's...

Last edited by sacboi : 05 May 2014 at 07:46 AM.

05 May 2014
Originally Posted by 2xbo: You ad a nice Design to your shape and the headlamps are not matching you Design.

Yes I know.. The more I look at them the more I hate them!

Originally Posted by sakboi: in my opinion a bit too "20th century" if that makes any sense

It makes a LOT of sense! It is an old car design.. not even 21th century stuff!

Well.. Here's some of the sketches I made earlier.
Can you guys point me your favorites? ..if any!

Thank you both for your comments!

reply share thread