Mad Bomber WIP

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 04 April 2014   #1
Mad Bomber WIP

I've been working on this character in my free time for a while now. It's at a point where I'm confident that I'll be able to finish it, so I'm sharing it now. My goal for this project is to create a cinematic quality shot as well as to develop my personal workflow for creating high-end cinematics. I'm currently working on the environment for the character which will have a lot of fluid effects for the fire and smoke and environment destruction.

EDIT: Latest Update

I sculpted some threads for the fringes of the tears in Zbrush, but they look terrible. I'm going to try using a hair system instead.

Last edited by julSan : 10 October 2014 at 03:50 AM.

Old 04 April 2014   #2
This looks great, I would love to see it with all maps on and nice lights. I like the design and the use of appropriate asymmetry, on that note, my only crit right off the top of my head would be to do something to the top of the pants. Its a little to even and perfect compared to the rest of the model. consider dropping one side done on her hips or adding a belt that sits a bit funny, something to break it up. otherwise really nice work!

Old 05 May 2014   #3
Thanks for the crits, Lee. You're right about the pants. They are looking a little bare without a belt or something. I'll get to that when I return to working on the character.

For now, though, here is a layout of the environment.

Trying to see how much of the screen I should cover in fire. Perhaps even more fire?

And here's some texture work on the buildings.

Old 05 May 2014   #4
Here's a test render of the environment. I still have to take it into Zbrush to ding the edges a bit.

Old 05 May 2014   #5
The environment isn't done yet, but I thought I'd get back to work on the character. Here's how the skin shader is currently looking. I'm trying out a wavelength dependent scatter method. I'm on Maya 2011, so I don't have access to fast skin 2 which has this feature. I'm having a bit of trouble getting real reflections (not spec highlights) to look right, especially on the scars.

Direct Lighting

HDRI

Old 05 May 2014   #6
Here's an update on the skin shader:

Direct Lighting:

HDRI

I noticed that my render times were getting out of hand when final gather is turned on, so I tried using a basic mental ray skin setup. It renders in almost half the time of the wavelength dependent setup which has 4 fast skin shaders, but I can't seem to get the reddish terminator with just one fast skin shader. Maybe the effect is too subtle to have double the render time.

Old 05 May 2014   #7
Adjusted her features a bit. I also made a close approximation of the wavelength-dependent shader with a single fast skin shader, and I even got the reddish terminator with a bit of hackery. I still prefer the look the wavelength-dependent shader, but the render time in certain lighting conditions is unacceptable.

These were lit with three area lights with final gather enabled.

Fast Skin setup: 5 min 57 sec

Wavelength-dependent: 22 min 30 sec (!!!)

Old 05 May 2014   #8
Added dirt and eyes.

Now on to the scary part: hair.

Old 05 May 2014   #9
Here's the hair so far. I'm using Maya's native hair system with puppet shaders. I styled the hair in Blender and then exported the curves to Maya. My problem now is compositing the hair pass and the character beauty together, more specifically the cast shadows of the hair on the character. I had to do this on a commercial once, but since the characters were cartoony and only showed up for a few seconds, I ended up just cheating the shadows. A lot. I don't think I can get away with that this time, so I'm going to have to figure it out.

Old 05 May 2014   #10
Got to work on rendering the hair and character separately and then comping them together. The character was raytraced and uses HDRI lighting with additional direct lighting while the hair was rendered with the rasterizer. This isn't a full multipass workflow since this has the hair's cast shadows in the character beauty pass. I just lowered the strand count and had raytraced shadows for the hair. I'm going to try a full-fledged multipass workflow next.

Here's what I have along with the fully raytraced image I used as a basis for lighting the hair (sans specular highlights)

Old 05 May 2014   #11
I finished the character! Apparently my previous test renders have all been without bump maps or normal maps. That's what I get for not double checking. It takes a while to render this character, so a bit of optimization is required, but the character's pretty much done. Going to work on the background now which I'm thinking of redoing.

Old 06 June 2014   #12
Here's the new environment so far.

Old 06 June 2014   #13
Update. The wall is just a decimated sculpt. Still a bit of work to do on it.

Old 06 June 2014   #14
Wow, what is it on the background? Looks like Chernobil ))

Old 06 June 2014   #15
Hi! One of the reference images I used was actually of Chernobyl, though I didn't know it at the time I was gathering references. I was going for something that looks like an industrial plant, but with more concrete sections.

reply share thread