Tyrion Lanister: Game art

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 04 April 2014   #1
Tyrion Lanister: Game art

Hello !
I would like to show you model I'm currently working on. It's first character I've ever created and I would be grateful for your tips and critique. For now I have finished sculpting process and I'm starting retopologizing the mesh.

Hair are placeholder, they will be made of planes with alpha.

Hope you'll like it !

More shots: https://imgur.com/a/45OAm

Old 04 April 2014   #2
For a first time effort very detailed skin/clothing nice work - anatomically I'm guessing this is a dwarf inspired character? and as this thread's title seems to suggest will you eventually rig/animate this model for a game project?

Cheers ;)

Old 04 April 2014   #3
Thank You ! Actually it's a midget from a Game of Thrones TV show. Right now I'm doing a retopo work, and yes I'm going to rig and animate this guy (And I'm really afraid of rigging).

Old 04 April 2014   #4
It's Tyrion from Games of Throne man...

Old 04 April 2014   #5
Originally Posted by Scote: It's Tyrion from Games of Throne man...

Cool thanks for the correction, btw did a search its screened here in Australia on pay for view which I don't have - To the OP disregard the applicable comments reference my previous post.

Cheers ;)

Old 04 April 2014   #6
Hi !
Some update on the model ! I've already finished retopo stage using ZRemesher and tweaking in Blender. Initially I wanted to do it manually, but I started running low on time.
I think I will redone it in the future as a personal project. (It's now half personal half school project. I'm studying Game Design).
Right now mesh is ~32k tris and use 2 UV maps body and head + hands. 4k textures.

Now I'm going to Rig this guy and do some animation. After that If I spare some time I will paint the diffiuse.

I was really suprised it baked so nicely without any major problems. When I was baking my hardsurface models there was always something not right with them...

Old 04 April 2014   #7
Wow! great outcome - I can certainly see the vertex dense detail baked from the base mesh via the hi-res UV/texture maps nice work man, will definitely keep an eye on your progress...
Originally Posted by samurai93: I was really suprised it baked so nicely without any major problems. When I was baking my hardsurface models there was always something not right with them...

Yep hear that... as I'm also a Blender user - currently having issues in both baking and manually retopologising my hardsurface models, result a total geometry rework in an attempt to obtain an optimal topology solution for use as an ingame asset.

Cheers ;)

Old 04 April 2014   #8
I think you need to rework your folds a bit. The flow are are natural or the folds form are not. Specially the big ones on the front and back

Old 05 May 2014   #9
I would like to share some progress !
Character is already rigged (need more tweaking) and now I'm working on textures.

Marmoset Toolbag 2 realtime with AO

Old 05 May 2014   #10
...amazing work man - I've no crits, in my opinion excellent thus far, also judging by the hi-def quality of the model, your hi-res texture maps will have detailed cloth material and skin baked out? - again very nice indeed, looking forward to future progress.

Cheers ;)

Old 05 May 2014   #11
Thank you !

Quote: judging by the hi-def quality of the model, your hi-res texture maps will have detailed cloth material and skin baked out?

For the most part it's true. I've baked 4096px textures which captured tiny details like the leather texture. To make detail stand out more I prepared some cavity maps from mask by cavity in ZBrush and normals to cavity photoshop filter.
Now I'm trying to bring life and story to the textures and brake thier uniformity even more.

Skin was made by repainted polypaint from photos with cavity to capture original details and make normals and diffiuse match perfectly.

Old 05 May 2014   #12
Texturing done ! Could use more tweaking but I must start animating this guy.

Cheers !

reply share thread