Slum girl

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 03 March 2014   #1
Slum girl

I wanted to make a poor slum girl between 11-14 years old living in the near future, lots of layered over sized clothes. I have had this in my head for a while and figured that I should just make a start.

The clothing was loosely based around an outfit my sister designed for her end of year fashion show at Westminster uni. The aim is to have the model to a level that it is ready for animation, and get a cool Illustration out of it .

So far I have roughed out the base mesh and done a quick render, no texture or unwrap's yet. Topology is not great so once I have the look pinned down I will move to that. Using 3DSMax 2013.

Old 03 March 2014   #2
Nice job!

Are you after realistic human proportions? The feet look a little small, and the head might be too large for a 11-14 year old.

Old 03 March 2014   #3
Thanks A J!

I was not too sure to be honest, but I don't think I will go down the realistic route now.

I agree with you on the feet, I have made some boots now though so I think that sorts out the problem. will post some more renders soon

Old 04 April 2014   #4

I have made a few changes to the coat shape from behind and added some more clothing items. pretty happy with the outcome so far but I think the shoes may still be a bit small? any comments would be good as I may start to sort out the topology soon when I get a free bit of time.

Old 04 April 2014   #5
Smile

I have just been trying to sort out the topology on her face...I think it is almost there but if anyone has any comments or has noticed anything let me know . The ears still need some work but wanted to get my loops right before moving onto them.

Old 04 April 2014   #6
Small update but I am starting to texture everything up, clothes are almost there as well but the textures are saved on my laptop at home so that will have to wait. But for the moment I have been working on the skin, trying to get a dirty look to it as she is meant to be homeless.

I'm also not sure which way to go for the hair, I have been struggling with hair and fur to get the look I want. Hairfarm would be great but it would mean anything I do has to stay on work computers which is not practical.

Old 04 April 2014   #7

clothes textured up there's still little bits to do like laces, hat etc. may also add a belt on as its looking a bit bare around the waist. hair is not completed yet.

Old 04 April 2014   #8
I thought I would move onto the scene as the girls hair has been pretty frustrating.
A quick hour and a half rough out of the environment and camera angle. Next step is to go in and model everything up and add more junk in.

comments and crits more than welcome

Old 05 May 2014   #9
Looking good.

I really like what you have done with this thus far and looking forward to see how the environment turns out.

If I could just offer a little critique, her face to me doesn't give me the sense that she is an 11-14 year old girl. It could just be me and maybe the hair would do great justice in this situation, but just throwing that out there.

Keep it up.

Old 05 May 2014   #10
Thanks poisedSoul I will see what she looks like when I get around to doing the hair and see if it improves at all.

Small update for the scene.
Modeling is almost complete, there may be a few little bits here and there to do as I go along with the texturing. I have also done some quick lighting in the scene to get a feel for it, although i'm sure this will change as everything gets textured.

Pretty close to what I had imagined in my head though so im happy with that

Old 05 May 2014   #11
I spent today texturing and lighting, straight render from max with no colour correction, blooms, dof etc. I think I may make the window lights in the background more orange and also need to add smoke and steam to the pipes. I'm also debating having a mans shadow in the open door way. I decided to make it a night time scene as i thought it might look cool with a neon glowing city in the background.

Old 05 May 2014   #12
This is looking great so far. If I might make a suggestion, if you want to have that neon glow look, I say really commit to it in the lighting. I can see that the scene still has the off-screen direct lighting from your previous clay render. I think it would be better without it. Also, try lowering the ambient lighting by a LOT, to the point that the deep nooks and crannies in your image are pretty much black. This way, your scene will be primarily lit by the practical lights on set, specifically the light from the door and the neon tubes up top, which can provide some lovely saturated light to the scene and can greatly help with the mood. If the scene is darker, the visible lights on set will have more punch.

Lastly, you could add some more specular highlights to the ground and walls. I read somewhere that in some movies, cinematographers would actually spray the cobblestones on the ground with water for night shots even if it wasn't raining in the scene. They did this so that the ground would have stronger highlights and thus have stronger contrast in the shot. I think your scene would benefit from this.

Good luck!

Old 05 May 2014   #13
First off thanks for the great crit Julian! that's really helpful and I will take on what you said. I will get rid of the direct light and lower the GI light. I will give the specular thing a go as well and see how that turns out. cheers!

Old 05 May 2014   #14
So I have finally finished this piece, I think everything has come together well. Pretty happy with the result.

Old 05 May 2014   #15
Well done.

Congrats, this came out really well. Great work!

reply share thread