F-16 (again)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

04 April 2014
Awesome work Straha.
I will keep an eye to the progress.

My Basics Mel Scripts
~{xbo_::_Scripts}~

04 April 2014
Beautiful model, looking forward to seeing final renders.

04 April 2014
Thanks chaps!
I, ahem, grew a bit bored of the speed brakes so spent some time doing base geometry and laying out guides for panel lines on the lower fuselage. This also meant revisiting my old landing gear models to make sure it fits with the gear door edges. Luckily there wasn't too much to fix on the gear proportionwise, since it's already set up and animated.
Couldn't keep myself from jumping ahead a bit and doing a small (and very basic) texture and material test though:

04 April 2014
repsct , crazy details !!
amazing job , keep it up , that really cool §!

kaddd

07 July 2014
So finally got the time and motivation to work on this thing again! Been continuing planning and marking out all the panel lines on the lower fuselage as well as finishing the tail fairing:

07 July 2014
Looks great! Good to see you've picked it up again.

07 July 2014
After much planning work I've finally started cutting out the main panels for the lower fuselage, just got past the main gear doors. Newer models of the F-16 have heavier landing gear than the original, and to fit it the gear doors are bulged out. Took a few tries and much staring at references to get those bulges looking right... Had a bit of trouble with pinching with some of the smaller details around the nose gear well, had to selectively upres certain areas to make it look less ugly.

07 July 2014
Started on the targeting pods. Front of the Sniper XR pod was mildly annoying to get right, no symmetry and all planes at odd angles. Only had to go back to my base geometry twice
They still lack a good amount of detail though. Was mainly going to do the mounts to make sure the details I was adding to the inlet went in the correct place. And then I got a bit carried away

07 July 2014
Targeting pod exterior is done, the box on the rear of the thing was a bit of a time sink, turned out nice though. I'm leaving the interior with cameras and thingies for later. A lot of detail added to inlet area, it's "detail complete" up to the main gear doors now! (unless I've forgotten something) Underside of the wing strakes is almost all detailed up, just one little intake missing. Next up is the tail hook, since I need that nailed down to do the paneling on the lower rear.

07 July 2014
Very nice detailing and progress!
Would love to see a wire frame of the last render.
In terms of texture material, just google for highres images of let's say a grey A-10 or so and take that material as a base. It's gonna be the same sort of paint and you can extract a lot of rivet lines, dirt along edges etc etc.

Cheers
Andre

07 July 2014
Cheers Andre! Ask and ye shall receive: (unsmoothed)

(hmm, I seem to have missed a few support lines on the wing details)

Been thinking a bit on how to unwrap this thing quick(-ish) and so it's easy to work with. For the main fuselage, I'm considering doing a simpler solid shell model, unwrapping that and using the projection uv transfer tool to get well aligned uvs across the panels. I'll lose being able to paint dirt in the panel seam crevices, but gain a *much* simpler and faster texturing process. I'll have to do a test later...

07 July 2014
Excellent work. It's interesting. I've been trying to work out different techniques on my own of cutting arbitrarily shaped panels into a mesh while maintaining the sub-dividing properties. Until I figured it out recently my work has been in mothballs. Your mesh looks similar to what I got using a method I figured out so hopefully it means i'm on the right track.

I have a question, if I may ask; would you consider cutting into the main mesh after sub-dividing it by a level or two, to give you a finer resolution to work on? It looks like you cut the panels out at the base, undivided level but I was thinking cutting them out at a higher level would result in limiting any possible artefacts and distortion to very near the panel edge. Of course, you don't have any such distortions visible, I just thought it might be handy especially if you have lots of panels in close proximity on a constantly curving surface. Thanks .

07 July 2014
Telemachus: Actually, my base mesh has been smoothed 2x before collapsing and cutting. Though the unsmoothed base mesh is very rough, 16 sided cylinder for the nose for example This gives adequate resolution that I don't get noticeable pinching in most areas. But in some places, especially where cuts go diagonally against the "grain" of the mesh I've had to add another smoothing level or two before collapsing and cutting again. The lower part of the intake around the nose gear door for example, is one step higher than the sides, due to the diagonal cuts and the little high detail panel in front of the gear well. (just visible in the enlarged pic I posted on jul 21) And the small complex plates just behind the nose gear door are two steps higher res.

07 July 2014
Originally Posted by Straha: Telemachus: Actually, my base mesh has been smoothed 2x before collapsing and cutting. Though the unsmoothed base mesh is very rough, 16 sided cylinder for the nose for example This gives adequate resolution that I don't get noticeable pinching in most areas. But in some places, especially where cuts go diagonally against the "grain" of the mesh I've had to add another smoothing level or two before collapsing and cutting again. The lower part of the intake around the nose gear door for example, is one step higher than the sides, due to the diagonal cuts and the little high detail panel in front of the gear well. (just visible in the enlarged pic I posted on jul 21) And the small complex plates just behind the nose gear door are two steps higher res.

That makes sense. It would be really tricky maintaining the smooth look if you had worked on a very low level of sub-division. It also seems sensible to adapt the density of the mesh depending on how complex the panels are. With some more experimenting I think I may be able to restart my project. At the moment i'm throwing random shapes onto the main body (using Shape Merge) and seeing if I can make them into panels that don't interrupt the overall luck. It's practice, basically. So far it's working. Thanks for your quick and helpful reply .

07 July 2014
No probs, glad to be of help You probably do this but it bears restating: Always keep a copy of your base mesh before any cutting around somewhere. Saves many headaches

reply share thread