"What goes around, comes around."

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 01 January 2014   #1
Smile "What goes around, comes around."

Hi everyone. This is a new WIP which I hopefully can finish in the next weeks. As for now, here is one character of the scene, the shark I did this today and stopped for now to show it here for critiques and comments.

The whole scene consists of this shark fishing a angler on his boat trying to fish the shark. I just remembered a 3D print of a shark I did and a good documentation about sharks getting killed for their fins, so I wanted to do a mixture of fun character style, the circumstances which are present today and the fact, that nature could "fish" us too, if they wanted.

Thanks for any critiques or comments

RECENT UPDATE WILL BE EDITED HERE TOO:

Shark Update:

Fisherman update:

Concept Image:

Last edited by firstIssue : 02 February 2014 at 04:00 PM.

Old 01 January 2014   #2
Cool man! I really like the character and the idea.

It might be tough to translate the tongue into 3D as you have shown now. If you add the teeth all the way around, its going to be a tight fit. Plus it does look a little narrow. I don't think sharks have tongues in real life, but if they did, I would imagine that it would be about as wide as the jaw, and would be a light pink colour to match the mouth.

Old 01 January 2014   #3
Hey there, thanks for your comment. I think, you are right, the sharks tongue ( they have got one, but it is not like ours ) is a little bit too humanlike. But I wanted to achieve a kind of human character in its expression (thinking of finding nemo e.g.), so I'll try to fit the tongue into his mouth, making it bigger like you said and change the color

Old 01 January 2014   #4
Hi everyone,

here is a sketch update on the fishing man. Yet the boat is missing, I first wanted to figure out the character a bit and the pose how he could stand on his boat trying to push back with his legs.

C&C always welcome

Old 01 January 2014   #5
Hi everyone, here is the last sketch I am going to use for going into the 3D models. What do you think about the image for a sketch. Of course, there is missing some details and I am not sure about the lighting / background.

Old 01 January 2014   #6
Are you eventually going to make models of these characters? Otherwise, I think you want the 2D WIP forum.

Old 01 January 2014   #7
I don't know, if you read the previous postings, but yes, this is just a sketch for a 3D Image I want to do in the next time.

Old 01 January 2014   #8
Hi everyone, here is the first WIP 3D image of the ship I am working on. Just had a couple of hours today to start with the model. Of course, there are missing tons of detail, but for now, its the next step in this project Critiques and comments are always welcome.

Old 01 January 2014   #9
Oh man! I really like this one!
its just too funny

your ship is looking pretty good so far!
The only thing I can see is that it kinna looks like the model is pinched,
up near the front peak of the boat... like there are one too many edge loops trying to converge...

Can't wait to see how this turns out!
Cheers!
- Bergquist

Old 01 January 2014   #10
Hey bergquist,,thanks for your words and I'm glad that you like my image and idea! I just fixed that point issue and started to add some detail to the ship. I guess, for now, I stop working on the ship and start over with one character, so I just get some alternation in my workflow. So, what do you guys say about the current progress? C&C always welcome!

Old 01 January 2014   #11
Hey man,

I really like how things are turning out!

Maybe you can have the boat a little further in the water when you assemble your final composition? If that shark was pulling down on the line, that boat would probably have its bow in the water, with the stern sticking up out of the water.

http://www.thestudiotour.com/ush/st...jaws/jaws20.jpg

Old 01 January 2014   #12
Hey AJ1, thanks for your comment. The boat is just in something like "idle" state. I will tweak it of course while combining the objects in the final image. So I will tilt the boat to the front because the guy is standing on the front while being pulled down to the water. I hope to upload a new WIP today. Stay tuned

Old 01 January 2014   #13
A new update on the first basemesh of the Shark. Not smoothed it out or sth., but for a basemesh I am satisfied for the moment. What do you think?

Old 01 January 2014   #14
I love the look of the boat! Is the cabin made out of steel? If so it could use some big cartoon bolts at the bottom and the top and maybe a seam as it would have benn made out of two large bent panels

Cheers
Andre

Old 01 January 2014   #15
Hey Andre, thanks for your comment and idea. Just thought about modelling a roof like this, so I did it, added some bolts / screws to the cabin and replaced the one piece roof with this to panels How do you like it?

reply share thread