Large Scale Sci Fi City WIP

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2014   #16

Update. I made 14, 15 or 16 something building shapes and started placing them. The main building needs details as well as the area surrounding it. I'm still not positive about the shape of the main building.

I'm wondering about the texturing and lighting phases now. I want the whole "yellow in light and black in shadow" idea. I'm guessing I should make the buildings a "regular" color and use the lighting to create that effect. These two have the lighting idea I'm speaking of:

http://literaryexcursion.com/wp-con...11/downtown.jpg
http://literaryexcursion.com/wp-con.../11/la-2146.jpg

Not sure about the actual textures themselves. Comparing the 3d cities I do and don't care for from online searches, I'm thinking the lighting and texuring is the key difference. I don't want them to look plastic. Admittedly a big questions is whether or not I will keep them all looking evenly colored or more realistically done with all kinds of windows and different colors?

Old 01 January 2014   #17
Cool! I really like your last composition. Although I'm sure it can be improved in some way still, I'm hardly and expert on framing.

The big building does look a little unsophisticated. Assuming those are marinas on the shoreline, that's a pretty dense building. Maybe you could make more of a hollow, singular form? Their working on this building in Moscow that seems very sci-fi. Just googling "Future Skyscraper" turned up all kinds of cool images that could serve as inspiration.

http://www.prendelaradio.net/wp-con...and-moscow1.jpg

Old 01 January 2014   #18

Here's the model

Old 01 January 2014   #19
Thumbs up

Nice one dude! I really like it now.

Old 01 January 2014   #20
Thanks! Here are my mood board and texture board (if that's a term). I'm going for a sunrise look as if has a tendency to place the focus on the shape and presence of the city. As for the building textures I'm having a harder time. I've decided I really don't want to do a traditional window design or a fancy glass high rise look either. I'm thinking of the "bumpy" star wars thing on the rooftops and a smoother side wall design. I'm not going to do much color from the buildings themselves. The biggest question I have is about what I am going to do on these sides because there has to be some sort of window idea, and there's always the outside chance of deciding to do more modeling at least on the main building.

Old 01 January 2014   #21
Hey Scott,
your composition and city scape is looking much better!

Cheers,
- Bergquist

Old 02 February 2014   #22

Not really sure what I'm asking here specifically other than ... how would you texture this? What I'm thinking is to uvw map and unwrap everything with the exception of the "specific" or "non-box" building types in the middle/background (which will only need to be done once and then cloned later to replace the stand ins I have now). The basic box types will need to be done individually as I altered their shapes. My biggest question is about how detailed I will need to make everything. My guess is the front pieces in and around the main building will need special attention while the rest in the middle/back can possibly do fine with a tile. Perhaps I should make several tiles and randomly disperse them? I do want to try a specific rooftop idea I'm going to model which should help break up monotony ... but then again most of the pieces are far away enough that it might be a waste of time. I'm concerned that texturing is what may be holding my portfolio back so I don't want to just through a mental ray material on everything and call it done. Thoughts?

Edit: upon working further I'm realizing that it would be too much work to unwrap all the boxes and then paint them all individually with unique UV templates. It is simple however to uvw map them all and place a tile on them. Having said that, I might benefit to wait until the tile(s) have been made to go through the trouble so they can look more unique.

Last edited by ScottMichaelH : 02 February 2014 at 03:01 AM.

Old 02 February 2014   #23

I unwrapped everything but the simple boxes which resulted in 15 different textures painted (in one sitting). I'm thinking of dropping the color all together and using white so the lighting will make the color. The main building still isn't done or the surrounding little ones on that island (it's just the tile on it right now).

Old 02 February 2014   #24

Here's where I am at the moment. I don't know what t do with the big island area. I don't have a landscape software to use. I thought about mudbox but I'm not leaning that way. In the grand scheme of things I've done a lot of texturing at this point and I'm ready to say that it has to end at some point. Then again I don't want this piece to fall short because of one late decision to not take it further. I do think the lighting will make the ground here less significant than the buildings. I thought about maybe rendering it separately and painting it in post but if that's what I'm going to do then why wouldn't I have done that with the buildings in the first place? It would have saved a lot of time. Looking at references it seems common to focus on the buildings of these type of cities with little regard for the ground unless you are matte painting with real buildings (which I'm obviously not).

I'm also worried that this might look too much like a building showcase with the main building standing on a flat plane like that ... not sure if I should leave it that simple. Maybe adding things in post?

Another note is that the water seems good in the back but not in the front ... I'll have to see what I can do there.

Edit: I'm pretty sure now I'm going to add the landscape in post. I did a rough paint over and it seemed fine.

Last edited by ScottMichaelH : 02 February 2014 at 01:44 AM.

Old 02 February 2014   #25
Hey man,

If your aiming for super high quality portfolio piece that will hopefully get you a job, you really should spend a little more time on the modeling. To be blunt, the large building on the right isn't very appealing. Is it meant to be a utopian glass and plants everywhere type building, or a more industrial, Dredd style dwelling? The art direction with your architecture is a little muddled, and I'm not sure what I'm meant to have in mind when I'm looking at this.

I'm not an expert on composition, but the square frame that's dominated on one side with a large building seems odd. If you look through your reference, most of the other square compositions are framed by two equally sized buildings, or focus on one large building in the middle. I think the unbalanced compositions look better in a widescreen format.

Old 02 February 2014   #26
Originally Posted by AJ1:
If your aiming for super high quality portfolio piece that will hopefully get you a job,

Definitely. Anything that says, "This guy isn't good enough to get a job" please point out.

Originally Posted by AJ1: you really should spend a little more time on the modeling. To be blunt, the large building on the right isn't very appealing. Is it meant to be a utopian glass and plants everywhere type building, or a more industrial, Dredd style dwelling? The art direction with your architecture is a little muddled, and I'm not sure what I'm meant to have in mind when I'm looking at this.

Thanks. Closer to Dredd for sure. I'm willing to remodel if it really will help for sure with the portfolio. At this point I'm thinking I'll try adding pieces onto the main building to add shape interest if that's what you are getting at (as opposed to throwing 10-15 hours of work away).

Any other thoughts on the model from anyone? From now on I think I'll simply stick to direct copies of concept art. Here's the paint over I did earlier:

Edit:

I started adding tweeks and felt like I was applying a bandage to a mortal wound. Does anyone else feel the main building isn't much? I'm thinking I should give up and lift one from a concept (in general shape at least). It needs to fill the pyramid-shaped space like in the concept. I tried a regular tall building at one point but then I have to deal with the island space looking bare. Thoughts?

Last edited by ScottMichaelH : 02 February 2014 at 04:37 AM.

Old 02 February 2014   #27
I think the big building tapers too much at the top, and doesn't really dominate the other buildings like it should. It blends in too much with the others. Maybe the big building from Metropolis could serve as a good inspiration? I think the radial shape with the large outcroppings would fit the circular island well, and help it stand in contrast with the other buildings that all seem to taper at the top.

http://www.fanboy.com/wp-content/up...tropolis-01.jpg

Peach Tree from the new Dredd movie had a pretty solid facade, and didn't have any stepbacks or sloped roofs.

http://robot6.comicbookresources.co...-Peach-Tree.jpg

http://www.neilmillervfx.com/USERIM...urg_horizon.jpg

Old 02 February 2014   #28

Thanks much. Here's the new model. I think the main issue was that I wasn't thinking in terms of working with the shape but rather to simply fill space composition-wise. The main building now has more power and contrast.

Old 02 February 2014   #29

Here are my rough finals. The first is the most natural from my beauty passes. The middle has some orange and another water render added (I'm moving the sky around as well). I thought at the time that it was clever to move the light down and to the left so it shown on the main building more, adding to its dimensionality and cylindrical shape. Now when I compare it to an old test photoshopping from the night before (the third image) I actually prefer the old one. I'm guessing its because the old one has a stronger contrast and hierarchy. My new lighting (while showing the side of the main bldg. off more) has the right and left side of the image competing. Do you agree?

That old one has a beauty to it I'm wishing I remembered exactly how I did it. Maybe the sky is better with less texture as well possibly? I also need to solve the depth.

Last edited by ScottMichaelH : 02 February 2014 at 01:00 AM.

Old 02 February 2014   #30

Here's the final. Thank you so much for the help, and even just to anyone who looked. You helped me make my best piece ever

In the end I blended the two lighting types together. I did a lot of composting in Photoshop to get the image just right. Matte painting elements done on the island landscape.

Thread Closed share thread