My First 3D attempt WIP

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2014   #16
ok well i totally screwed it up then to top it off I forgot to save an untouched copy in case I did so I spent tonight getting it all together again as it originally was. I also enlarged the model as when measured it it was only 1/2 inch tall lol so I made it 12 inches which would be abt 6th scale.

I also forgot to post originally that it is base 9656 polys and I was able to get 6 subdivisions into it for total of 9,887,744 polys. I am running a 1 1/2 gig video card and 16 gigs of ram in my computer which is set up for doing 3D cad work using Solidworks

Still have to do the polygroup thing with the head yet but taking a break for now to clear my head

Old 01 January 2014   #17
well I just spent 3 hrs trying to find ref pics with a front and side view someone even kindly shared a couple pics with me the problem is even by resizing I can get the chin and mouth to line up in the front and side view but the eyes and sometimes the nose is way off

is this common and if so how do you fix it. I am at wits end trying to figure out why nothing lines up even when rescaling

Old 01 January 2014   #18
Not having seen what you are actually working off from ( your new references and models), what I say may or may not apply to this particular case. The one thing you should keep in mind when working off photographic references is perspective. You have to account for that.

Particularly when you are working in orthographic viewports. Orthographic viewports flatten perspective completely. This is a state of affairs that doesn't exist in real life. Even with a very wide angle lens, you will still get some perspective. When you model something off a photograph, you have to compensate for perspective changes, as well as the fact that taking photos of anything from front to side while maintaining the subject's scale and distance relative to the camera is going to take a very elaborate setup that most people won't have.

Hope this helps!

Old 01 January 2014   #19
yea I do a lot of photography with a cheap $100 camera and I even did selfies (used a timer) of my face front and side and even doing that I got it really close to spot on. but these pics the eyes from the front view compared to the side view are almost an entire eye height off while the chin mouth corner and bottom of nostrils all line up.

maybe I am just being too anal abt my reference but I do cad work and build models for museums military bases airports etc so i have to be anal abt my research to be accurate and exacting. so maybe that's whats causing me problems now.

btw just did a full sized B-24 plane fuse for Angelina Jolies new movie Unbroken ))

Old 01 January 2014   #20
well spent abt 6 hrs tonight going through various threads on various forums by doing searches and found that a lot of ppl were having the same problems with the pics as I was and they told the reasons etc but thats no big deal as long as I know the pics were fubart. so I did some searching and found like 20-30 male and female front and side pics that have been posted all over the web. I found one that comes out pretty dang spot on and I think I will use it and then later can tweak it in my detailing to more suit me.

I drew several lines across to check out the alignment and matching

Old 01 January 2014   #21
Side & front view of a 3D software are usually Obigital (must have mispell this, but I think you get the idea) view. But photgraphy capture are influence by focal length/angle.

Also, its alsmot impossible to get a prefect side & front view.

The key is to be able to extract information of how the face look, base on the the views, and try not to follow too strictly, but as rather as guides.

Old 01 January 2014   #22
thanks I am so new to this stuff I was just happy to find these that matched up I think I got like 4 or 5 from the same sight with the green screen background and a quick glance at them they all pretty much matched. I think the photographer just kept the same distance and settings.

So Now I can see how bad I can screw things up today lol

I appreciate all the comments guys they are giving me a better picture of what I need to look for and how to proceed. I knew this wasn't going to be easy hopefully the hardest part is finding good reference.

I am prepping my pics now and will get back to drawing shortly

Old 01 January 2014   #23
Every artist works differently of course, but I myself, when it comes to organic stuff like humans and what not, find that those front/side views only gives a starting point. It's still more important to take reference from the 3/4 view, because, unlike architectural plans or machine plans, it's really difficult to grasp volume and what the object really looks like from just using the front and side.

But that's just me of course. You might be able to work better some other way!

XJ

Old 01 January 2014   #24
well right now I am just trying to get my basic outlines down. if you look at my first attempt someone mentioned the features looked more maleish, however if you look closely they match my ref material really good for outlines I just hadn't gotten to filling the rest out.

with this new ref I have a complete set of pics full body and face and have a 360 view series of the head so it will help

Old 01 January 2014   #25
BTW I got several of my new ref pics at Http://www.got3D.com there is tons of free textures there and if you goto the free character refs link there is several people there with different photo shoots all behind a green screen which helps with not having distracting backgrounds. Several have the head shots several are just full body but they high res so you could zoom in and get good pic

Old 01 January 2014   #26
Originally Posted by RedPleco: BTW I got several of my new ref pics at Http://www.got3D.com there is tons of free textures there and if you goto the free character refs link there is several people there with different photo shoots all behind a green screen which helps with not having distracting backgrounds. Several have the head shots several are just full body but they high res so you could zoom in and get good pic

bookmarked!

Old 01 January 2014   #27
Ok Now I got everything all set up properly and matching Time to start screwing things up lol but at least this time I have an untouched backup copy

Old 01 January 2014   #28
Ok I now have the basic outlines all adjusted. I will next turn off the guides and start adjusting things slowly into the shape I want before I go to the next Subdivision level

Old 01 January 2014   #29
ok finally before I get digging in. I cleaned it up a little and it looks more feminine this time round. I still have to sink in the cheeks and work on the jawline I want but I am much happier this time around. I dunno if I can get her to look like a raving beauty when I am done but I guess since most of her body will be covered with clothes I can really concentrate on her face til I am satisfied.

I bumped up the sub D level for this shot to make it clearer looking. this is at 38,624 poly count. I gave her a different color to make things easier to see when I sculpt than that red

Old 01 January 2014   #30
well been doing some tweaking and it looking ok but the top of the forehead area just doesnt look right to me but it is matching the profile I guess once the hair is on the top of the head wont look so flat rofl

Thread Closed share thread