Antique Room WIP

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2014
Antique Room WIP

Hello, I've been working on a set that is supposed to be an old 1920s European office. This is the first 3d environment that I ever made and the first time that I use the mental ray render (3ds max). I learned a lot about modelling, texturing, and illumination whilst creating it and since I want to now move on to some other projects with this experience that I got from making it, I would like some feedback on the room I made and critiques so that I know what to improve for the future. Thanks in advance.

01 January 2014
Fantastic!

I love your models. And your textures work very well. I think the glow from the lights is a little distracting and takes away from the shot, but that's just me. Great work!

01 January 2014
Great job for your first mental ray project!

I have a terrible monitor, but your contrast does look a little high. Are you going for a realistic architectural render? On my screen, you've got lots of solid black on the bottom, while your lights are completely blown out. It may help to open similar photographs in Photoshop, and use the color picker tool to see the values at certain points. When your doing your final touch up work, try to get your render to roughly match those values.

Also your composition looks odd. I'm far from an expert on this, but it might help to get rid of some of the dead space on the right. All your furniture seems off to the left.

-AJ

01 January 2014
Thank you guys, I have made more renders to show some more items and remade that first render. There are more coming soon.

01 January 2014
Originally Posted by TwoCoins: I love your models. And your textures work very well. I think the glow from the lights is a little distracting and takes away from the shot, but that's just me. Great work!

Thank you, I tried reducing the glare through Max but it still had that bloom effect on the items on the desk even when the lamps weren't as blown out. Instead I did the effect in Photoshop.

01 January 2014
Originally Posted by AJ1: Great job for your first mental ray project!

I have a terrible monitor, but your contrast does look a little high. Are you going for a realistic architectural render? On my screen, you've got lots of solid black on the bottom, while your lights are completely blown out. It may help to open similar photographs in Photoshop, and use the color picker tool to see the values at certain points. When your doing your final touch up work, try to get your render to roughly match those values.

Also your composition looks odd. I'm far from an expert on this, but it might help to get rid of some of the dead space on the right. All your furniture seems off to the left.

-AJ

Thank you, admittedly that wasn't the best render of the room haha; I'm not going for complete photo-realism but more of an eerie but warm type of place, so I wanted to have some good contrast between light and dark, but probably not as much as in that render.

01 January 2014
Much Much better

Ya I love photoshop for post fixes. It looks much better, not quite so blown out. Now I can see the more subtle details like your water stains in the corners and tops of the wallpaper. Is that actually on the texture or did you do it with an occlusion pass?

01 January 2014
Thanks, yeah the water marks are part of the wall texture, as well as the missing wallpaper that id next to the door. I was looking at some references from that game called resident evil, and the walls usually have those types of details to make the place look old and worn out.

01 January 2014
Looks pretty good. Adjusting the lighting worked out well. Looking at your bookshelves, it seems that the books are oddly flat for some reason. Are you modeling each book? Hopefully you are, and then you just need to vary slightly how far each book sticks out to look more natural.

The design on the wallpaper looks too 3d. I'd advise reducing the strength of the map you are using to produce the height of the design.

You might want to consider adjusting some of your color palette a bit, even though using a reduced palette can add drama, in this case, it seems that the brass objects are blending into the wallpaper. Also, the red of the curtain and the chairs seem to be washed out, like the light is just too strong or something and making the scene look like a yellow filter was applied or something.......

I like the assets you made for this, and the apparent casual cluttering helps the scene look more natural (other than my comment about the bookshelves).

01 January 2014
Thank you for your feedback, I only modeled one book and changed the textures as I found them, that's why they look flat. I don't know how to make them non flat unless I find a texture and then midel it based off that texture but they are too many. I don't really have a workflow for them. As for the lightning, I don't know what color to use besides yellow exept white, which is the least atmospheric type of lightning imo.

01 January 2014
You could have some indirect light coming through the window.

What I was saying about the books, like vary where the spines are on the shelf, so they aren't lined up evenly. Even small variations can help break up the evenness of the rows.

Looking at it again, the angle of perspective, it could also be the angle of focus of your camera is too great. Maybe have a look at that.

01 January 2014
Oh, I see what you mean, thank you!

01 January 2014
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread