Rhino... In Maya... Not Rhino

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2014   #1
Talking Rhino... In Maya... Not Rhino

Hello!

I've never modeled anything like this before and could really use some advice.
But first, my WIP pictures

Ok so thats what I have. I've spent most of my time working on the head as you can tell and I'm finishing it up as it is. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on finishing the mouth. I'm planning on having this be animated so the mouth needs to move. Here's a close up of the mouth area, currently hollow.

Question 2:
The other thing I'm having trouble with is figuring out how to attach the legs to the body. If you look at a rhino, (I'm using white rhinos for reference) their back legs are pressed really close up against their body and their skin kind of folds over their front shoulders. Its just making it really awkward to model and any advice would be much appreciated.
EDIT: Heres a side shot to help you help me!

And of course any other criticism or suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks!
Peter

Old 01 January 2014   #2
You could just extrude that loop in for the lip and mouth bag and be fine. My only suggestion would be to get rid of that pole at the corner of the mouth (see pic). Not entirely necessary though.

Also, work on the shape/size of the mouth, eyes, and horn a little bit. Might be good to share your reference.

Old 01 January 2014   #3
Thank you!

I think your photo is of a black rhino. I'm using white rhino's as reference. It seems that on of the primary physical differences between the two is their mouth. I'm working from drawings I did from references but I also have those photos open next to me while I model.

Last edited by destructivARTs : 01 January 2014 at 09:32 PM.

Old 01 January 2014   #4
very cool, looks like you are on the right track!

Old 01 January 2014   #5
Here's an update. I actually was completely finished when Maya crashed and my last save was here.

Again, comments and criticism are welcome!
Thanks
Peter

Old 01 January 2014   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread