40k Space Marine Predator

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 12 December 2013   #1
40k Space Marine Predator

It's been a while since I posted anything here, so here's something I've been working on for a day or two. I would have posted at an earlier stage, but got a bit engrossed....

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Jon.
Click here for high res

More renders to follow...

Last edited by mindgoo : 01 January 2014 at 08:03 AM.

Old 12 December 2013   #2

Click here for hi-res

Another angle. As this is the Predator variant, I'm going to alter the interior to add support equipment for the turret and side guns (shell loaders, power capacitors, controls etc). I've currently just modelled the basic crew carrier interior of the Rhino chassis at the moment.

Jon.

Last edited by mindgoo : 01 January 2014 at 08:04 AM.

Old 01 January 2014   #3

Click here for hi-res

Here's some more work on the interior. I've also added the rear loading door and adjusted the chassis to accomodate it.

I'm going to add a couple of bolters on racks in the right hand wall cavity.

Jon.

Last edited by mindgoo : 01 January 2014 at 08:05 AM.

Old 01 January 2014   #4
Did your plates have bevels in it? just look like simple geo for me. To be realistic (if it's what you want) then you should add some bevels in angular areas.

Old 01 January 2014   #5
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

There are bevels on there, but they don't show up very well in the low res images (plus they are quite small bevels....). They are more visible if you look at the image in high res (right click - open image in new window, if you can), or follow these links:

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3

Some elements don't have bevels yet as I'm still adjusting bits - I'll add them afterwards.

More progress coming soon!

Thanks,

Jon.

Old 01 January 2014   #6
The bevels are there, but don't show up because it's a clay render and there's no specular component to pick out those edges. I sometimes use a material that is a 50/50 blend between a clay shader and a shiny shader. It's quick and dirty but picks out more detail. I actually remember when clay renders became fashionable all those years ago, when global illumination was a very new feature. I think it's run its course though.

Old 01 January 2014   #7
I prefer the render you share now. But you goal is to do a realistic model or a replica? Because it's look like a toy model now. Maybe some plates. Now it's more of a big plastic molded piece. But you probably will do it in bump or normal right?

Old 01 January 2014   #8
I'm using the plastic model kit as a basic reference. Once I've got the main bits done, I'll go in and add more intricate detail, with a combination of geometry & bump/normal maps.

Jon

Old 01 January 2014   #9
Here's some more progress. Nothing huge. I've added a drive mechanism for the turret, plus done a little detailing on the rear door.

Click here for a high res version

I also decided to work on detailing the engine vents on the sides. As I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing with this thing when I'm done, and it may at some point suffer some catastrophic damage, I decided to adjust how the engines were put together. The vent used to be built as part of the side wall of the vehicle, so I detached it and built some engine parts to go inside it. I also added an inspection panel to the vent structure so that an engineer could get to the engine to perform repairs etc. Here's a couple of WIP images:

Click here for a high res version.

More soon!

Jon.

Last edited by mindgoo : 01 January 2014 at 08:06 AM.

Old 01 January 2014   #10
The model looks really sharp so far! Could we see some wireframes?

What rendering engine are you using? It might have a shader that you can plug into the bump channel that can simulate small bevels on your corners. It can do a great job of helping to seperate parts that are very tightly locked together.

Old 01 January 2014   #11
Hi A J,

Thanks for the comments . I'm using v-ray for rendering, and I may add a VrayEdgesTex map to bevel the edges a bit, but at the moment I'm not overly worried about it as I'm still modifiying bits. I'll put some wireframes up a bit later on.

Thanks again!

Jon.

Old 01 January 2014   #12
Here's some wires as promised. The turret has a ridiculous amount of poly's in it because I booleaned out a couple of cylinders from it and had the 'make quadrilaterals' option on. I will be re-building that element at some point in the future.

Wire 001 (click here for hi-res)

Wire 002 (click here for hi-res)

Wire 003 (click here for hi-res)

More work in progress up sometime this weekend.

Jon.

Last edited by mindgoo : 01 January 2014 at 08:07 AM.

Old 01 January 2014   #13
Some more work on the engine area. I also decided to change the tracks from the ones you get in the set to something that would possibly function a bit better. Plus it gave me an excuse to add the Imperial Eagle to the treads.

Image 1 (click here for hi-res)

Image 2 (click here for hi-res)

Image 3 (click here for hi-res)

Image 4 (click here for hi-res)

Image 5 (click here for hi-res)

Let me know what you think.

Jon.

Last edited by mindgoo : 01 January 2014 at 08:08 AM.

Old 01 January 2014   #14
Technicly your images(the "preview" and the one in the linl) that you share are both HI-Res.

Maybe you can share a 500px version of it and link too the Hires. The loading of you page will be faster, certainly on a mobile

Old 01 January 2014   #15
Good point - I'll do that from now on....

Thanks.

reply share thread