Fantasy Game Environment

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2013   #1
Fantasy RPG Game Environment

Hi, it's been a long time since I posted a WIP here.

I'm currently working on an unannounced RPG game for mobile devices and just wanted to share some screenshots as I go.

The style for the environment is going to be hand painted textures instead of photorealistic for technical reasons and because it will suit the game better in my opinion. Having to make high detail meshes for normal maps and spec maps is a ton of work and I just can't afford it. It's also a bad idea for a mobile game because it's expensive to render a scene with normal and spec maps. Also, hand painted looks cooler

Some disclaimers:

- I'm not so good at drawing, so the concept art is going to suck, but it does the job.
- I have spent a couple of days just watching Diablo 3 footage and taking notes. Designing an environment for an RPG game has challenges and I tried to learn as much as I could from Diablo, and the way Blizzard solved those challenges.

Enough talking, first screens are coming in a minute. Thanks!

Last edited by nikolaydyankov : 12 December 2013 at 02:54 PM.

Old 12 December 2013   #2
Starting with a couple of concept drawings. With these I tried to plan ahead as much as I could before moving on to modeling. I also got the idea to paint some lights in the scene, we'll see if it's going to be any good later.

Lighting:

Old 12 December 2013   #3
Basic block out in Maya with quick and dirty port to Unity to make sure the environment "feels" right.

Old 12 December 2013   #4
During the block out stage the environment went through several revisions and it took me 3-4 days to finalise it. Yesterday I decided it's time to move on to the final geometry, so I started with some props.

Can't have a fantasy RPG game without jars and barrels

Here is what they look like with camera angle and distance similar to the game:

That's all I have for now!

Last edited by nikolaydyankov : 12 December 2013 at 02:53 PM.

Old 12 December 2013   #5
I started to slowly build the first room. Once finished I will have pretty much everything to finish the entire first area (out of 3). I'm trying to fit the entire room in a 2k texture. After doing some tests I decided to go with 128x128 pixels per square meter of geometry, and it seems to be working out quite well. Here is where I'm at so far:

NOTE: Flat shaders, lighting will be baked when the entire room is ready.

Old 12 December 2013   #6
Here is some more progress:

(up - maya, down - unity)

I have to make a couple more small elements to finish this room and then I will move on to lighting. Still flat shaders in Unity for now!

Old 12 December 2013   #7
Looks great so far. Keep it up.

What level of programming skill is need for making this? How many people required? I downloaded UDK, but have not really try out. That would be may target for next year.

Old 12 December 2013   #8
Lights up!
This is the first test with real lighting that I did today. The fires are sprites, animated in After Effects and with added glow. I'm happy with the results so far, but there is a lot of balancing and tweaking that needs doing. When the entire environment is finished I will fiddle with the textures contrast, details, etc. and also with the lighting and GI settings.

Screenshot from the game engine:

This room is finished, I'll be moving on to the next one tomorrow.

Old 12 December 2013   #9
Originally Posted by PKD: Looks great so far. Keep it up.

What level of programming skill is need for making this? How many people required? I downloaded UDK, but have not really try out. That would be may target for next year.

By "this" you mean the 3D environment or the entire game? If you mean just the environment, it's not hard and it can be done by a single person (I'm doing it right now). You just need to plan your work really, really well and try not to waste time on details. And prepare to spend a lot of time! Other than that, it's just low poly modeling and UV mapping basics.

Old 12 December 2013   #10
Originally Posted by nikolaydyankov: By "this" you mean the 3D environment or the entire game? If you mean just the environment, it's not hard and it can be done by a single person (I'm doing it right now). You just need to plan your work really, really well and try not to waste time on details. And prepare to spend a lot of time! Other than that, it's just low poly modeling and UV mapping basics.

The entire game. But thanks for the information.

Old 12 December 2013   #11
I did a column today and started with another part of the room. Still needs work!

Screen from the game engine:

Old 12 December 2013   #12
Originally Posted by PKD: The entire game. But thanks for the information.

I'm using Unity and from what I've read it's somewhat easier, or at least faster to work with than UDK. The API is simple, you just need to understand those maths and vectors and sh**. You don't need much programming experience to get started. But managing a huge project like an RPG or RTS game, or whatever, requires some general programming skills - managing and organizing your code, strong object-oriented pattern knowledge, etc. That's what I can get on top of my head, if you have any more specific questions I will be happy to answer.

Cheers!

Old 12 December 2013   #13
Beauty shot of the column:

Old 12 December 2013   #14
Great work. Where did you learn to plan the environmental concept?

Old 12 December 2013   #15
:)

Brilliant work, nice planning and work flow. Try to make sure you have all enviroment models finished before you start finalising the game, its alot better for workflow, resist the temptation. Good work though.

Thread Closed share thread