Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 11-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
EmmanuelLawrence
portfolio
Emmanuel Lim
Singapore

Emmanuel's WiP: Valkyrie

So I've decided to try my hand at sculpting a Valkyrie from a concept art I did.

This is the concept art.

Not the best but I'm working on it haha

Anyway, back to the sculpt.
I used a female base mesh that I did myself and then layered on the armour pieces. Here is what I have so far.

Any thoughts on it thus far??

Old 11-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
nfd77
Aspiring Artist

portfolio
Nick DuPree
Chicago, USA

I really like it. Looks like you are headed in a good direction. On a technical note, she won't be able to raise her arms up all the way, so that's something you might want to think about now before you get too far.

If I see anything to comment on as you make progress I'll let you know. Solid work!

Old 11-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
WaterDrinker
Veteran

portfolio
Poland

I really like your concept. So far it's looking good. Only what I can comment is that in my opinion lower part of armor have to big borders and to soft edges. In your concept art I can see that you choosed pretty sharp style what is looking good. So try to remember about that while modeling and keep your edges and a whole geometry more sharp.

All you need is to meet
The GarageFarm.NET

Old 11-26-2013, 05:10 AM   #4
EmmanuelLawrence
portfolio
Emmanuel Lim
Singapore

Sorry for the pretty late replies been pretty busy...
Anyway,
@nfd77: Thanks Alright, noted on the arms. Will be posting more asap

@WaterDrinker: Thank you Will be keeping an eye on that.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
EmmanuelLawrence
portfolio
Emmanuel Lim
Singapore

Another update.

While creating the bottom half of her armour, I discovered that the shin guard in my concept was not feasible in 3D so I put that off for now until I find a better idea. Also, I shrunk her shoulder guards so her arm looks more mobile now. In addition, I tweaked her chest plate and forearm guards to make them more fitting. I do like the minor changes but what do you think??

Old 11-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
PKD
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Kiadaw Phua
Hobbyist not Hobbit
Germany

Its always good to start with a good concept.

Here are some thoughts.

The neck is too long, & its gets more narrow \ / from head to body, when it should be wider /\.
The ankles are too thin, although they will be covered with armors.

Her fingers seems alitte thin as well. The beast plate feel too organic.

Personal opinion only, but I think the emblem need to be higher, like in your concept. The whole 'westling belt' need to raise a little in fact, to be closer to the concept.

Also the shoulder plates seems to pivot at the upper arm instead of the body near the shoulder. The position for the plates in your first WIP picture is better. What you need is modifide the design, so she will not be hit by the plate when she raise her arms.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #7
EmmanuelLawrence
portfolio
Emmanuel Lim
Singapore

Aaaaand my finalised Valkyrie (unless there is some kind of BIG issue with her).

I shortened and widen the base of her neck. Since I'm planning to reuse the base mesh, I also widened her ankles.
I did a quick research on medieval breastplates and found that most had a flat front so I mimicked that in her breastplate which I think made it less organic. I tweaked her shoulder plates a little as well. Also "fattened" her fingers too.
For her hair, I made it like a "hair cap". I first used a plane and formed it around her head to the rough shape I would liked it to be. Then I just sculpt the hair on layer by layer. The method was pretty fun to do and simple and I think the results were pretty good but what do you think? Maybe I'll use fibre mesh next time haha

I think I'll pose her and render out a still image then do some post-processing??

Old 12-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #8
PKD
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Kiadaw Phua
Hobbyist not Hobbit
Germany

It depends on how far you wanted to take here. You can choose to improve upon this model, or moved on the next. Both have their pros & con.

I normally give feedback base on the artist level. For practice, I think what you have is not bad.

There is of course, still a lot of learning to do, from Anatomy, to making hard surfaces, to have better understanding to make better armour (even if its from fantasy). Its obviously hard if you have to design an armor with nothing more than photo references from the web (assuming), so its understandable. But I will take it one step at a time.

A tip.
I think the organic look of the armor pieces are the result of smoothing (when subdivide). You can force shaper edges by putting extra edge loops near areas you wanted to be sharper.
This will reduce drastically the smoothing effect on the armour pieces.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #9
EmmanuelLawrence
portfolio
Emmanuel Lim
Singapore

Thanks for the insight
I've decided to further refine what I have as much as I can.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:44 AM   #10
EmmanuelLawrence
portfolio
Emmanuel Lim
Singapore

I think this is far as I can go with my sculpt at my level. I'll take whatever I learnt from making this model and apply it to my next sculpt and hopefully it'll be better.

I added seams and straps to the pieces of armour to add believability to the model. I also sculpted a scratchy base texture and bumps to give a sense of wear and tear and to not make it look smooth. I was going for a seasoned fighter style who was in the midst of battle so I added more bumps and slashes. I wanted to pose her but my computer kept crashing, unfortunately.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:44 AM   #11
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread