Homless scene

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2013
Homless scene

I am trying to make a scene for the Christmas competition. It will have an empty stocking next to the sleeping bag.

11 November 2013
I've bevelled the edges and changed the lighting

11 November 2013
Hey Mate,

If you are using Maya, instead of beveling your edges you could try using the mia_roundcorners. Saves you some geometry.

You could definitely improve the composition on the photo i.e. Rule of Thirds ....

Another thing you could do is use color, brightness (vignette) and composition to grab the viewers eyes to the sleeping bag if that is your intention.

Other than that keep up the good work and every once in a while step back and ask yourself why it's not working and why it is and adjust those elements.

11 November 2013
How do I make it sad. To make the sleeping bag stand out either a different colour light or a brighter light.

11 November 2013
Hey!

In my opinion, I think you should change the angle of the camera you have there now. Maybe try to have the whole alley in the shot and not one obscured by walls.

In the alley you can have the sleeping bag, and some dilapidated props. The Christmas socks as well with maybe the person sitting next to them in a crouched position with his/her head in between the legs.... ( I am just thinking as I write this)

Anyways, keep it up!!

11 November 2013

How do I improve the sleeping bag. It is the hardest part of the scene.

11 November 2013
Hellos,

Great job so far!
Both Seena and Uri have given great comments that I fully agree with. Get the angle right using the rule of thirds and then work on coloring/lighting and adding more assets to the environment.

I'm throwing in some images I found in hopes that they will help. Some from the game "Beyond: Two Souls" as it had a good homeless atmosphere.
Large homeless area.
Bed is sort of the main focus due to the bright pillow.

And general life alleyway/homeless for possible assets if you wished to create more.
Alley 1 Alley 2 Underbridge homeless

Looking forward to seeing further updates, keep it up!

11 November 2013
i agree with the others, good job so far.

If i had to suggest something, you could go much heavier with the graffiti. as of now it looks like the tag is there because you want to have a tag there. is it clear what i mean? also add some dirt where the cobbles and walls intersect.

I would also consider the reflectivity in the cobbles. I dont think they're that shiny unless its raining.

Most of all, I like the theme. you just need to find a way to make it look more interesting.

11 November 2013
Those pictures will really help with set dressing, thanks.

Also, it is supposed to be rain/wet

11 November 2013
New lighting and bag

Last edited by yup790 : 11 November 2013 at 06:09 AM.

11 November 2013

I have started set dressing.

11 November 2013
Hi there,

Great work so far.

There seems to be something missing and I don't know what it is. It seems a bit flat maybe you could add in some mist, to add to the mood? just to give it that something extra. Add some dirt to the floor, the walls and the door. Wouldn't the door handle be on the opposite side normally?

It will look so cool once its done.

Cheers
B

12 December 2013

Here is the latest render.

What do you think

12 December 2013
Awesome, well done

12 December 2013
Awesome work!
Thinking of this scene for a bit and realized that the only places I've ever seen the homeless are always near run-down areas that have bars on all windows. I really haven't been to many places so maybe this is just a Vancouver/Calgary (Canada) thing I noticed.

The lighting is great! Textures Great! Even got some garbage/leafs in there.
You mentioned the scene will have rain/wet to it, maybe add a lower area in the sidewalk for a puddle?

Besides that, everything seems a little too clean, the pavement being smooth, the sidewalk edge is unbroken. Wondering if that'll make things pop.

Wet Alley found this which reminded me of your scene. Hope this helps.

Thread Closed share thread