nick's stuff (mostly characters)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

12 December 2013
I see 2 issues with the mesh, at the outer side of the eye lips area, & between the eyes.

You need to make more eye loops, & remove the concentration of meshed around the area. Its affecting your model, & apparent with the girl head you posted earlier.

Discontinuities can be seen where the eye loops meet with the 2 mesh groups I mention above.

Last edited by PKD : 12 December 2013 at 06:35 PM.

12 December 2013
Thanks for the tip. I pushed the poles back and it is looking much better. They were just there to cut down the poly count; sucks that they don't subdivide well. I think it isn't as noticeable where I have it now.

I got started on the hair. Does anyone have tips for making poly hair look good? I have found that the best thing to do is avoid penetration where possible. Specularity almost always looks messed up too. A lot of game characters I have seen also use much thinner "strands." Maybe I'll try that.

I might end up just working with nHair even though I try to avoid it since it slows down the animation workflow quite a bit :P

12 December 2013
For hair, you can check this out. I think the thing about hair, is to be very patient.

http://www.cgarena.com/freestuff/tu...ya/lowpolyHair/

Also I do not think the mesh topology at the side of the eyes save much polygon, & it will affected facial animation.

You can save polygons with less dense loop around the eyes, but spread the loops larger.
You can use Lara head mesh as guide.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...zps2761065a.jpg

Last edited by PKD : 12 December 2013 at 04:57 PM.

12 December 2013
You're probably right about the topology. What I have just saves two loops on the low poly from going around the head. Not really sure if it's worth it.

What I have will deform fine. I've been using the same topology for quite a while.

Thanks for the link on game hair. That's a really good resource. I decided to just go with nHair though.

Having fun with the hair. It still needs a lot of work, especially the bangs. Also, I need to cut down on the follicles a ton so I can simulate it. Right now I'm at 7000

12 December 2013
Quick update on the hair. I'm now at a manageable amount of clumps ~500 I'm happy with the style, now I'll fine tune the shading.

Last edited by nfd77 : 12 December 2013 at 01:12 AM.

12 December 2013
Eyebrows and eyelashes. Being lazy and using paint effects. Poly count went through the roof lol (the head is 4k).

Head texture or teeth/toung next. Maybe this weekend :P

12 December 2013
Not really much to update on. I just threw down base color. Switched render engines too.
So now I need to finish the texture and make the eyes/teeth/toung before I move on.

Started playing around with a trial of Marmoset. Does anybody know how to avoid nasty seams? I usually don't even worry about hiding my UV seams because I can just paint over them in Mudbox.

12 December 2013
The is no way to avoid seam, but you can make the seam, at natural locations, like actual seam edges of clothing, or areas cover by other items, say back of the head.

In your model, it seems you have a seam in the middle of the neck. It should be possible to put the seam at the back of the neck. Seam is still there, but not as obvious.

Maybe you can focus your next model on anatomical correct head model. Keep it up.

12 December 2013
Hah yeah, maybe one day I'll get there.

More work on the texture:

12 December 2013
Update. All I have left to create for the head area is the teeth and toung Then it is on to the jacket.

Issues to address:
- gaps in the hair by the surface of the head. I'll solve that by just scaling the follicles down though. The hair thickness is a little too high as well.
- obvious artifacts from low poly with normal map. I'm going to subdivide with v-ray for the final render.
- the eyebrow and eyelash meshes need work. So does my spec map.

12 December 2013
I wanted to see how much I could get done in 24 hours so I started with my base mesh and made a pirate character. I just need to refine the texture. I have some extra space on my UV tile so I'll probably add more accessories too. It wouldn't hurt to get some hair geo in there either.

This is meant to be used in Unity. 8k tris 2k maps.

12 December 2013
Something came up so I have to set the rocker dude aside for a while.

I need to model a high quality pirate now. It needs to be modular so it can be costumizable (footWear, lowerBody, upperBody, head, arms, etc). My tri limit is 16k (~8k faces).

I am going to start with this image for inspiration on the lower body. Not so much the upper body because I need to rig this guy without dealing with that nightmare.

CREDIT slamiticon on deviantArt.

I am hoping to get all of the poly modeling done today. Then I'll probably spend a week on sculpting.

Start:

12 December 2013
I suggest at least even amount of time modeling in Maya/Max, as sculpting.

Get the model, like the shoe, to as close as the reference, before sending to a sculpting software.

Trust me, you be surprise, how the end result will look much better.

When you are making in game model, & use Zbrush to sculpt & make normal map, presumably, its better to spend time making a good base in game model.

Last edited by PKD : 12 December 2013 at 04:15 PM.

12 December 2013
Thanks for the tip. Honestly I like poly modeling way more than sculpting lol. I'll take your advice and make sure the base mesh is perfect before I start sculpting.

12 December 2013
All I have left to poly model is the hair/headwear. Just started on the sculpt. The head is boring because I just decided I would just use my base and make all edits in the sculpting phase.

reply share thread