Next Gen Lara Croft fanart (Classic outfit)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2013   #31
Thanks guys for the encouragement.

Hi Mister3D. Thanks. I have Zbrush. The clothes and character are only base meshes. They will get subdivide once, & the higher poly meshes will be used as next gen in-game mesh. After that I will send the meshed to get proper Zbrush Treatment for detailing (for eventual maps transfer).

Its the gun that I do not use Zbrush. I tried to use dynamesh & stuff, but the polycount is way to high, & result not too fantastic, so I rather , do the detailing in Maya.

Anyway, with most of the main base meshes done, I am starting to make high poly version, for normal map transfer.

The exciting part will come next week, when I will start detailing Lara character. now that the USP gun is almost done.

Here is the USP so far, finally with Normal maps generation completed, & applied. I used one 2048 square map for the gun. Took me way too long (need to still make spec & color maps), but I am pretty happy with the result.

Last edited by PKD : 11 November 2013 at 04:04 PM.

Old 11 November 2013   #32
Amazing, amazing my friend. Did go you through some special game courses for normal map creation? You definitely have experience with it.

Old 11 November 2013   #33
Originally Posted by mister3d: Amazing, amazing my friend. Did go you through some special game courses for normal map creation? You definitely have experience with it.

I done some normal mapping occasionally in the past. I did met with some major problems with normal mapping the gun, & spent a great deal of time last couple of weeks experiencing with resolving normal mapping issues, & reading & watching videos online on the subject.

But the effort did pays off. I have solved most of the major issues I have, to prevent me from getting good normal map.
Most are fairly straight forward & I can post here.
1) Have a UV that is large enough, so you have enough resolution for Normal mapping
2) Have the base mesh as close in shape as the hi res one for a good transfer.
3) Have good UV with good seams.
4) The envelope to raytrace the shape of the hi res model to low res must be well define in some cases.
5) Normal map has it limit, & having too low details on key location will not yield good result.
6) When there is too vast change of direction in the meshes, you may have artifacts in the area.

I could missed a couple, but I hope this info is helpful to someone.

Last edited by PKD : 11 November 2013 at 08:46 PM.

Old 11 November 2013   #34
I think the model is looking too soft. I mean that you propably used too big value for chamfer. In my opinion edges in the gun should look more sharp. And @mister3d is right, normal maps are looking pretty awesome

All you need is to meet
The GarageFarm.NET

Old 11 November 2013   #35
Originally Posted by WaterDrinker: I think the model is looking too soft. I mean that you propably used too big value for chamfer. In my opinion edges in the gun should look more sharp. And @mister3d is right, normal maps are looking pretty awesome

Thanks, you are right, its a little too soft, oh well. I see if I can do something.

Anyway, here is an update on texturing work. (sadly, photobucket compression is poor, I think in future, I will split the views into different pictures, instead of combining to make one big picture, to prevent massive compression)

I think its more or less done, & I can return soon to the character.

Last edited by PKD : 11 November 2013 at 11:13 PM.

Old 12 December 2013   #36
I am now back to the character. I decide to focus on selective detailing on the main character mesh, instead of normal subdividing to get extra Next-gen details.

This, I reckon, is a more optimise solution, & yield best Detail vs Polygons results. I have a polygon saving of over 100% compare to just subdividing (68.5K tris (full mesh) if subdivide, vs 26.8k tris (full mesh) currently with selective detailing), but still have 90% of the details compared to a subdivide model.

It is however, a rather labor intensive work, as I have to manually add details & smooth & space the extra details manually.

So here are the results

next gen legs! Particular focus is at knee area. I think what I got now, & later with a proper normal map applied, should looks nice (at least I hope).

The octagonal Last-gen fingers could make the cut anymore even with normal map, so I double the details by subdivision, & joint the hand to the main arm. I am thinking of adding actual fingernails as separate object then using normal map & texture to make the nails. The extra polygons from the nails should be negligible on the grand scales of polygon count on the main meshes, but yield better looks. Also, since I made a full model, the UV space for the hands are also rather limited, to get a good normal map transfer.

I beefed up the arms subtly, for a more Athletics look, so she looks like she can actually do some climbing & stuff. (for the record, her breast are not 'enhanced')

I added extra details on ears, eyes, nose, 6 lips. Even on profile view, you will not be able to see the edges from lips & nose (up to when full face occupy the 1080p resolution). The eyes are smooth at front view also (at 1080p full facial view). The ears are not as smooth, but it will be mainly covered by hair, but at least she doesn't look like an elf now.

Thanks for the view.

Last edited by PKD : 12 December 2013 at 10:41 AM.

Old 12 December 2013   #37
So far. 83K Tris at the moment. There are still some accessories like watch, radio & such to be added, as well as more details on tanktop & pants. I guess we will get end result of about 120k, including all gears. This is within my target, for this next gen character.

For comparsion, last gen (360/PS3) 2013 Lara have about 40k (include gears), so with next gen console claiming to be 10x more powerful then the console they replaced), I reckon 120k (3 x more polygon) should be a realistic target.

I could however, also lose about 5K, if I removed part of Lara that is not visible, like her feet, & body areas covered by clothing. There are 12k on the hair alone, so I need to optimise her hair a little also.

Another screen cap. Default material without maps. Despite my obvious lack of experience in game model design, this is my best character yet, & a good learning experience. I am putting all my effort to & hope she will looks as good as I envisioned.

Old 12 December 2013   #38
That's also a nice project man!

NVus Designs - Inspiration for 3D Visualization and Architecture!

3D Visualization & Art
Interior & 3D Facebook

Old 12 December 2013   #39
Originally Posted by JDMedia: That's also a nice project man!

Thanks,

Update. (poor compression again from photobucket again, oh well....)

Decided last minute to make a little Christmas special wall paper for the official Tomb Raider forum. Lets hope I can get this out in time for the Christmas.

Finally, its Zbrush time! So far, the result is 20mins to transfer & placing meshes to Zbrush, & 10 mins or so sculpting working on the model, mainly just smoothing some uneven surface.

Old 12 December 2013   #40

I still need to model gloves & a scarf. I modeled & sculpt the costume & shoes in the last 2 days.

Then I have to pose her, (which also mean I have to rig her) & redo her hair, then add a simple background. Texture her, & set up lighting & tune the renderings to get a proper result.

Chance of the Christmas special getting done before Christmas in the quality level I wanted is slim, as its pretty last minute, but we shall see.

Edit: update with gloves. Intended for leather, but Latex looks a good choice as well?

When Zbrush doesn't have all the technical issues (that I faced), like issues with normal mapping, UV flipping on export & Zapplink painting (texture deformed on return to Zbrush), its actually fun to use! I have a love hate relationship with Zbrush, but at least in the past few days, its mostly love.

Last edited by PKD : 12 December 2013 at 11:57 AM. Reason: edit:Add new picture

Old 12 December 2013   #41
I started texturing the model. This is a screen cap with only color applied in Zbrush. Nothing too fancy.

Old 12 December 2013   #42
Nice work buddy.

Old 12 December 2013   #43
That is beatifull, great job!

Old 12 December 2013   #44
Really liking the work. Good on you.

MY HMC

Old 12 December 2013   #45
Thnaks guys.

*Sigh*

After a day work to set up rig & pose, this is what happened

Let me know if you guys know what happen, & how to fix this.

Anyway, if you guys have chance, plase help me decide which you think is better. Chance of getting this done before Chistmas is slim due to Zbrush rigging issue.

Going for classes now. Will be late,,,,hopefully I find a solution soon, if not its yet another project that fail to met deadline.

Thread Closed share thread