Next Gen Lara Croft fanart (Classic outfit)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2013   #16
Originally Posted by PKD: Thanks, I did after careful consideration to have zip instead of laces to save some polygons. Zips, I can do it via normal map, as its pretty flat, unlike laces, but thanks for the suggestion.
I think zbrush have build in zip making tools, so I suppose it will not take that long also.

I have not yet checked, I hope there is a good solution to make stitching on leather too.

A good way to do stitching is sculpt via map, but you need UVs.

Old 11 November 2013   #17
Originally Posted by nfd77: A good way to do stitching is sculpt via map, but you need UVs.

I have UV, can you explain a little bit more. Thanks.

Old 11 November 2013   #18
It's like baking a displacement map into your high poly. I only know how to do it in Mudbox, not sure about zBrush.

Basically get an image of stitching and apply it like you would a texture in PS. Maybe warp and slightly liquify it to get it in line with UVs. You could also just make your own brush in PS which would probably give you better results.

Make sure it looks good on the model. Then make it grayscale. Background will be black, sculpt detail will be white/grayscale. Then it's just a matter of using the sculpt via map option in Mudbox. Here is the help for it.

In zBrush I guess you could look into making your own brush and using lazy mouse or curves.

Old 11 November 2013   #19
Good work. keep it up

Old 11 November 2013   #20
Thanks FarhadNojumi,

for the kind words & encouragement.

Thanks nfd77,

for your suggestion. definitely looking at possible solution when the time come for sculpting.

In the meantime, some progress pictures. I spent the last few nights working on the H&K, USP handgun, famously used in the Tomb Raider movies, in pairs of course. I design such that all moving/detachable functioning parts in firing & loading are made separately.

This is my first 3D gun I model, so I am a bit slow. But nevertheless its rather enjoyable. I even toy with the idea to give Lara even more toys, like shotgun, combat knife, & Rocket launcher. Ok maybe the last one is getting too far.

There are still some work need for the base in-game model, like the magazine, & internal shell of the parts that can be seen when the gun is clocked (pulled back)

Old 11 November 2013   #21
I have an embaressing situation, which I also made a thread in the Zbrush section. Would be nice also if someone know the answer & can help me here.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...791#post7696791

Basically, direct from my thread

DUmb Question; How to generate Normal map from another mesh

First, I have to clarify that I have search this forum, as well as the net, but somehow I keep finding how to generate normal map from the high subdivsion level to low (which I know), but not one that explain how to transfer normal map from one mesh to another mesh not related by sub divdion level.

But now I have made my low level mesh & High level mesh seperately, & wish to generate Normal map from the high poly mesh to the low poly mesh. I did some trail & error, shooting in the blind but not end reult.

Can anyone be kind to enlighten me.

Old 11 November 2013   #22
If you use Maya, then you should look for Transfer Maps (F6, then Lighting/Shading > Transfer Maps).

Old 11 November 2013   #23
Originally Posted by Tushkan: If you use Maya, then you should look for Transfer Maps (F6, then Lighting/Shading > Transfer Maps).

Thanks for the suggestion.

I know the maya method, (stumble to a tutorial when I look for normal mapping for zbrushed) but its limited by the geometry, beside that the result isn't good ( mismatch at UV seams), at least thats what I had last night. But then, I was very tired, due to night school, & it was pretty late at night (over 2am). I may try again tonight.

The problem, is I knew how to do it in Zbrush, & used it in the past, but Zbrush is sometimes like a programming langauage, just knowing the idea/logic is not sufficient, you must know the exact steps or it failed.

I knew MEL before, & I created many small scripts to help me, but due to long time lack of useage, most of my knowledge is lost.

Lets hope some experts seen my post at the zbrush section.

Old 11 November 2013   #24
I just tried this in xNormal and it seemed to give me a good result. I used my new high poly mesh, which doesn't even have UVs yet, with my old low poly mesh.

How different are the two meshes you are trying to use?

Here's the link for xNormal http://www.xnormal.net/1.aspx Hopefully this will help.

Old 11 November 2013   #25
Originally Posted by nfd77: I just tried this in xNormal and it seemed to give me a good result. I used my new high poly mesh, which doesn't even have UVs yet, with my old low poly mesh.

How different are the two meshes you are trying to use?

Here's the link for xNormal http://www.xnormal.net/1.aspx Hopefully this will help.

Thanks for the link to the video. I have downloaded it. Cool stuff. Unforunately I get the same defect at the seams. Been searching last 2 nights for solutions & couldn't find much that can help me at the moment. I only hope this is an isolated case. I honestly do not have any issue with normal maps until this project.

But also, i am a bit burned out for this project. I spend a lot of time on this, especially the gun, which I have already put over a week worth of time. But to be fair, I made a fairly functional gun, with working mechanism& its quite a nice touch, when you clock the gun, you can see the bullet from the magazine, both fully modelled, from the opening, like in real life.

To be honest, to make hardsurface/mechanical parts like the gun, is harder than I imagine, probably largely due to me being a real life CAD designer. I certainly have more respect for people who can make complicated mechncaials part using non CAD packages.

But I do not mind a challenge, & I see it as a chance to improve my skill, What I hate, is technical issues, & shooting in the dark, & playing with setting, which is applicable for say, generating normal/dispalcement maps, rendering, & lighting setting to name a few (the latter 2, I suck badly).

But I guess, its best to take a break, relax a little, then return to this project.

Old 11 November 2013   #26
Update,

High Res version of the gun is almost done. Next step is Normal map transfer.

Old 11 November 2013   #27
The pistol is looking really solid. Have you thought about giving the grip some texture or adding some scratches?

Old 11 November 2013   #28
This is a typical USP gun.
[img]http://www.awiw.cz/obrazky/fotky_strelnice/hk_usp.jpg[/img]

I will make a bump map, & combine with the existing normal map to make a final normal map. Thats the idea anywhere. Maybe I will bring this to Zbrush to add some extra details. We will see. So far, all the work is done in Maya.

Old 11 November 2013   #29
Looking great PKD, looking forward to updates!

Old 11 November 2013   #30
Looking great. Don't know what to add to that. Great job on clothes, especially considering it's poly-by poly. Still I would encouage you to try Zbrush one day, I can't imagine how fat you could go with it.

Thread Closed share thread