CGTalk > Work in Progress and Critique > WIP/Critique: 3D
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 10-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
deleted
_deletedDESIGNS

portfolio
Brandon Acree
3D Modeler
Acme Digital Content
Long Beach, USA

Jenifer Lawrence

Hey everyone! So this is my first attempt at a character model (head/bust, for now), well, technically my second, but that was back in '05 so I don't think it counts lol Anyhow, I've been a hard surface guy (cars mostly) for quite a while so I thought, why the hell not give something organic a try.

After maybe 6 or so hours, this is what I have so far. I plan on doing a little bit more refinement to the proportions tonight when I get home, but I'm pretty happy with those so far. The big thing I know needs work right now are the more subtle details, around the eyes, lips, nose, etc. Some I'll tweak with the existing topology and some I will take care of in ZBrush once I'm brave enough to take that leap lol Right now I don't want to get in too deep trying to actually re-work the topology because overall I'm pleased with the smoothness of the mesh.

So, what do you guys think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JL_01.jpg (90.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg JL_02.jpg (79.0 KB, 23 views)
Maxda RX-8: Devil Mod {Carbon Drip Edition}
Toyota Celica Custom
Bugatti Veyron

Last edited by deleted : 10-02-2013 at 08:21 PM.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
Artdigital
3d Enthusiast
portfolio
Danny Robinson
London, United Kingdom

Nice job so far but...

Nice looking model, I can see the resemblance though I did think the topology in the lower jaw and corners of the mouth could be better, I'm just wondering how they will end past what you have so far, but as you are going into ZBrush I dunno how much difference this will make. As I'm still experimenting with my own topology this is just an observation.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
deleted
_deletedDESIGNS

portfolio
Brandon Acree
3D Modeler
Acme Digital Content
Long Beach, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artdigital
Nice looking model, I can see the resemblance though I did think the topology in the lower jaw and corners of the mouth could be better, I'm just wondering how they will end past what you have so far, but as you are going into ZBrush I dunno how much difference this will make. As I'm still experimenting with my own topology this is just an observation.

Thanks! Glad I'm on the right track then lol Yeah, the subtle crease just behind the corner of the lips just before the cheeks are something that I'm going to try to take care of in ZBrush. I thought about trying to take care of it in Max but I would have to reflow my topology and I'm trying not to get too side tracked with things that could easily done later with some brush strokes

So what part of the lower jaw are you referring to? Right now the side shot I found doesn't really show much past where I have it so I'm going to have to find another one or wing it to define the back part of the jaw and up to the ear itself.....that's going to be fun lol
Toyota Celica Custom
Bugatti Veyron

Old 10-02-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
Artdigital
3d Enthusiast
portfolio
Danny Robinson
London, United Kingdom

Your topology around the the lower chin area (below the bottom lip) flow towards the back of the head in a straight direction rather than rounding out chin area, but as mentioned this may not be a concern if going into ZBrush. I hop this explanation is more clear.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #5
deleted
_deletedDESIGNS

portfolio
Brandon Acree
3D Modeler
Acme Digital Content
Long Beach, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artdigital
Your topology around the the lower chin area (below the bottom lip) flow towards the back of the head in a straight direction rather than rounding out chin area, but as mentioned this may not be a concern if going into ZBrush. I hop this explanation is more clear.

Yes, very much so, thanks! I'll have a go at trying to tweak that in Max when I get home tonight. Nudging stuff around is fine, I just didn't want to fuss with cutting in new edges and working out where they go lol
Toyota Celica Custom
Bugatti Veyron

Old 10-03-2013, 06:50 AM   #6
cobra6
Expert

portfolio
Joep Peters
Modelling & Texture Artist
United Kingdom

Definitely looks like her, nice start and great subject if I may add

Cobra 6
LinkedIn

Old 10-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #7
PKD
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Kiadaw Phua
Hobbyist not Hobbit
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by deleted
Thanks! Glad I'm on the right track then lol Yeah, the subtle crease just behind the corner of the lips just before the cheeks are something that I'm going to try to take care of in ZBrush. I thought about trying to take care of it in Max but I would have to reflow my topology and I'm trying not to get too side tracked with things that could easily done later with some brush strokes

So what part of the lower jaw are you referring to? Right now the side shot I found doesn't really show much past where I have it so I'm going to have to find another one or wing it to define the back part of the jaw and up to the ear itself.....that's going to be fun lol

Your model looks good, but I have to disagree about trying to take care of the crease in Z-brush.

I am a firm believable of always starting with a good topology, especially for deformable & animatable meshes like the human face. I would go as far as said, go for a proper mesh topology before even attempting to make it looks like the person you wanted to model.

Also, a tip, unless you are very pro, the best way to work, base on my personal experience, is the maximise what you can do in the base mesh, divide it, then repeat on the higher mesh to make it as close as your desired face, before divide, repeat until the desired detail are realise.

The mistake, is to make very dense model (multiple sub divisions), from a basic mesh, & try to do all the detailing on the highest level. (Unless you are pro of course)

Also to note, in order, in very simplify terms,
1) Form & proportion (General shape, e.g. Is eyes right place in the face, right size. right shape? done normally in base and lower res meshes)
2) Features (Here, character take the form, Done normally in mid res meshes)
3) Details. (Like wrinkles, the lines on the lips etc. Done normally in higher res meshes)

I would advice as a first step, to add some loops around the eyes & mouth.

Last edited by PKD : 10-03-2013 at 10:15 AM.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #8
Telemachus
Expert

portfolio
Mo Ali
n/a
Birmingham, United Kingdom

The likeness is good. I have to agree with PKD here. Basic details like larger creases and folds can be added quite simply on an organic Sub-D model. 3DS's Graphite tools make it easy to insert and space extra loops so they don't interrupt your overall mesh flow.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #9
deleted
_deletedDESIGNS

portfolio
Brandon Acree
3D Modeler
Acme Digital Content
Long Beach, USA

@PKD

Yeah, I think I'm going to work out a few more things as you suggested lol I tried bringing it into ZBrush last night and it uh, didn't go so well I'm still going to do the super subtle things like skin irregularities and the vertical details in the lips, but that will be later.

I'll do everything I possibly can in Max first for this one. Maybe for my next project I'll bring it into ZBrush sooner, but when I'm better at using that software.

I think I'm going to start by doing a (near) complete re-topology, building in better support for the areas around the mouth and eyes.

@Telemachus

Yes, Graphite, formerly know as Polyboost are an amazing set of tools I've been using them since before Autodesk bought them. Oddly enough, I never really used anything under the freeform tab. Paint deform has been quite invaluable for making adjustments that soft selection and FFDs haven't been able to help me with. It's like ZBrush for noobs. Very basic, but still so useful!

Thanks for the feedback gents!
Toyota Celica Custom
Bugatti Veyron

Old 10-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #10
deleted
_deletedDESIGNS

portfolio
Brandon Acree
3D Modeler
Acme Digital Content
Long Beach, USA

Oh and cobra6, I agree I figure hey, if I'm going to stare at a face for hours on end, I could certainly do worse lol
Toyota Celica Custom
Bugatti Veyron

Old 10-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #11
PKD
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Kiadaw Phua
Hobbyist not Hobbit
Germany

Once you have a good base topology, you can always reuse it to shape your next characters. So your next character can get into detailing much faster.

Except for my first few models, all the rest, I have reuse mesh asserts in some way or another, refining them as I see fit, or when required.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #12
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread