Lighting System in Maya

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2013
Hi all.

Just wanted to keep everyone updated on my progress. Just so you all know, I have taken all the pointers you have all given me to heart and put it into good use. I haven't yet created a linear workflow (but intend to) and have used normal area lights, not mental ray lights, as I am still getting to that.

All Lights:

Lighting system front overview:

Lighting system top overview:

I created a quick video of my update, please have a look:

If you like, you can go and check out the individual images via this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bianca...57636087031484/

One thing I did notice was when I added a dome for the incandescence, it created a funny shadow around the area of the clouds. any suggestions on why it would be doing that?

Please note I haven't yet composited this image in anyway yet.

Looking forward to everyone's comments.
Cheers,
B

Last edited by Bianca-Lee : 10 October 2013 at 04:11 PM.

10 October 2013
hi there

Originally Posted by Bianca-Lee: Hi all.

Just wanted to keep everyone updated on my progress. Just so you all know, I have taken all the pointers you have all given me to heart and put it into good use. I haven't yet created a linear workflow (but intend to) and have used normal area lights, not mental ray lights, as I am still getting to that.

All Lights:

Lighting system front overview:

Lighting system top overview:

I created a quick video of my update, please have a look:

If you like, you can go and check out the individual images via this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bianca...57636087031484/

One thing I did notice was when I added a dome for the incandescence, it created a funny shadow around the area of the clouds. any suggestions on why it would be doing that?

Please note I haven't yet composited this image in anyway yet.

Looking forward to everyone's comments.
Cheers,
B

Hi, bianca. The incandescence will cause that the object with that material will emit light. Also, soft shadows. That only work if you are using final gathering. Are you using final gathering?

10 October 2013
Hi Bianca, had you considered making the Verb rainbow a translucent material to emit light as well (so each one looks like neon tubing),this may add some interesting colouring/backlighting to your scene.

Last edited by Artdigital : 10 October 2013 at 06:35 PM.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by Artdigital: Hi Bianca, had you considered making the Verb rainbow a translucent material to emit light as well (so each one looks like neon tubing),this may add some interesting colouring/backlighting to your scene.

Hey there,

No I have not thought of that, will give it a go and see what it looks like though.

Bianca

Last edited by Bianca-Lee : 10 October 2013 at 07:36 AM.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by meldu: Hi, bianca. The incandescence will cause that the object with that material will emit light. Also, soft shadows. That only work if you are using final gathering. Are you using final gathering?

Hi Meldu,

Hope you are well.

Yes final gathering is on, what I meant was I created a dome around my scene with incandescence turned on to create more lighting. So that is sorted. What was bothering me is the shadow it creates around the clouds. I tried turning the shadows off on the clouds when it renders, but no use it still did that.

Bianca

10 October 2013
hi there

Originally Posted by Bianca-Lee: Hi Meldu,

Hope you are well.

Yes final gathering is on, what I meant was I created a dome around my scene with incandescence turned on to create more lighting. So that is sorted. What was bothering me is the shadow it creates around the clouds. I tried turning the shadows off on the clouds when it renders, but no use it still did that.

Bianca

hi Bianca. Try to use a HDR image replacing your dome. You will get nice reflections and better lighting in general. To do that, go to the indirect lighting tab in mental ray, and in the enviroment section (i think is at top), ceate an enviroment, and plug an HDR image.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by meldu: hi Bianca. Try to use a HDR image replacing your dome. You will get nice reflections and better lighting in general. To do that, go to the indirect lighting tab in mental ray, and in the enviroment section (i think is at top), ceate an enviroment, and plug an HDR image.

Yea will give it a go. I managed to get rid of the weird shadow by playing around with the textures settings, but will still plug in an HDRI image.

Bianca

10 October 2013
Hey Bianca,

Its doesn't feel like it has the same mood as the reference yet. when your working in any place matching art directors reference or plates is pretty much the name of the game.

Its not really a settings or technical thing your trying to do so don't get bogged down with that side of it. its about good light placement and understanding each ones role. at the moment you have to many lights in your scene and also it looks very dull.

from the reference i would say you need a very bright environment light as it seems quite evenly lit. match the overall illumation first by turning all the other lights off. then it looks like theres a large area light directly over the camera. you could add a ramp into it to soften the edges of the reflection. with these 2 lights your scene should be 95% there and be very close to your reference.

also his shaders are very reflective and the composition is stronger. have you thought about moving the camera in closer or widing out your scene like the reference?

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by patrickrowan: Hey Bianca,

Its doesn't feel like it has the same mood as the reference yet. when your working in any place matching art directors reference or plates is pretty much the name of the game.

Its not really a settings or technical thing your trying to do so don't get bogged down with that side of it. its about good light placement and understanding each ones role. at the moment you have to many lights in your scene and also it looks very dull.

from the reference i would say you need a very bright environment light as it seems quite evenly lit. match the overall illumation first by turning all the other lights off. then it looks like theres a large area light directly over the camera. you could add a ramp into it to soften the edges of the reflection. with these 2 lights your scene should be 95% there and be very close to your reference.

also his shaders are very reflective and the composition is stronger. have you thought about moving the camera in closer or widing out your scene like the reference?

Hi Patrick,

What you say makes perfect sense and I completely get what you are saying.

I was heavily influenced by the "Tom Buch - Yo Sushi" concept, however I didn't intend to follow the same lighting as he did. I have not really had anything specific in mind when it came to the lighting, but as time went on I realized that I want a warm look and feel. In the beginning I said cold but, then later changed my mind.

Hope that makes more sense.

Kind regards
Bianca

10 October 2013
May be I am wrong but most of your lights are not performing their respective functions and it is for the same reason even after 11 lights your scene looks dull .
Lighting is not difficult if you try to keep it simple. Don't just add lights for the sake of it .
Final gather is very powerful tool ,if you are using it correctly then I don't think you need 11 lights to achieve this result.

10 October 2013
Hi all

Here is an update of my progress thus far. I have learnt a lot from this exercise and very thankful for everyones help.

WIP (Click for larger image)

I have not yet composted this image in anyway.

Cheers
B

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by yogeshsherman: May be I am wrong but most of your lights are not performing their respective functions and it is for the same reason even after 11 lights your scene looks dull .
Lighting is not difficult if you try to keep it simple. Don't just add lights for the sake of it .
Final gather is very powerful tool ,if you are using it correctly then I don't think you need 11 lights to achieve this result.

Hi Yogesh,

Yea you are right. I realized that today.

So what I have done is use a linear workflow and now using mental ray lights whereas in the previous renders I was not. I had to take a lot of the lights out and now I am left with 6 lights (Key, Fill, top, spec,edge and gradient) which is all contributing to the image. I feel that this has made a huge difference!

Created this for you, I put it together very quickly.

Thank you
Bianca

10 October 2013
Looks great! Keep up the good work.

I am one of the worst when it comes to the topic of lighting in this forum, so I cannot criticise much, but its looking great.

10 October 2013
hey Bianca,

its defiantly looking better.

If you wanted to keep going on it as an exercise. I would suggest try getting your lights down to 3. and see if you can get that nice fresh well formed look.

the 2 blue ones (fill,edge) are pretty much doing the same thing. edge might look slightly better. extra spec lights are always good but there might be too much spec? sometimes studios don't need much gradient/env lighting as they are pretty dark.

10 October 2013
Indeed your latest result is much better congratulations!!.
If you want to move further,I would say try some light linking.
Also it would be great if you include bit more color bleeding.
You can further optimise your scene by carefully positioning your key light as to me there is no need for top light, also Check out if edge light is doing what it should do.
Balance your specular ( May be in Comp). It would be great if those guitars and umbrella would be more coherent in the scene.
Don't hesitate to try out your own ideas and imagination.

Thread Closed share thread