Sci-fi corridor environment

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2013   #1
Sci-fi corridor environment

I'm doing this simple environment to really learn about materials as it's often guess work for me (max 2013 and mental ray). I'll be using the arch and design materials. The geometry will therefore be fairly simple and areas of interest will be in the textures, graphics and lighting.

I did this 2D drawing recently and intend to create something like it in 3D:

Here's where I'm at in 3D, finished all the simple modelling and have UV unwrapped everything:

Old 09 September 2013   #2
Great start.The 2d drawing is nice as well!

Old 09 September 2013   #3
the 2d version is awesome! one lil crit is i think that back wall should be pushed back a lil more. just to stay true to the design.

Old 09 September 2013   #4

This is the basic lighting setup and colour scheme. I guess the lighting condition is sunset time which judging by the angle of the shadows is impossible, I love 3D!

Old 09 September 2013   #5
Done a lot more work on the texturing. The walls have this ceramic base which I hope is coming across

The 3k wide image can be viewed here

It needs quite a bit more refining, suggestions are very welcome.

Old 09 September 2013   #6
Looking good!

Just wondered though, are these rods on the right side of the image upon which the plant is growing, or is part of the plant?

Cheers!

Old 09 September 2013   #7
Thanks. Yes, the plants really are awful at the moment. The 'pole' you have noticed is actually a vine which is a 'placeholder' (I promise!) for now.

Anyway, there's a lot more work to do - I've spent day upon day learning how to create decent 'arch & design' materials, I'm a slow learner but I think I'm getting it.

Old 10 October 2013   #8

Something like this. Maybe

Old 10 October 2013   #9
Looks awesome!

The only crit I have is regarding the plants. Something is not quire right there. I think the problem is that you have attached the leaves directly to the main vine. Look at this pic for instance.

The leaves are attached to the main vine via additional stem.

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leaf.JPG (30.7 KB, 15 views)

Old 10 October 2013   #10
Scene is coming out well, Is it Mentalray or what ? Adding some fog to the scene will be good.
Good going
https://vimeo.com/80189808

Old 10 October 2013   #11
Good work so far.

Maybe some chipped off the edges, & lass sharp corners on the walls/pillars for that wear look.

It can be done without increasing poly count via normal maps.

Old 10 October 2013   #12
Like others have mentioned your model is off to a great start. My only comment is that when comparing the sketch to your actual model the scale seems to be different. In your model the space feels much tighter. A good point of reference is the size of the fans. In the sketch they are feel much smaller then they do in the model. Anyway, this might be intentional but thought I would point it out.

Old 10 October 2013   #13
Thank you gentlemen, some really valid points there. I'll keep working on the image (might be a while until the next update...).

As Uri says, the vines are a bit crappy. I blame myself for being lazy and not getting decent reference. I took two screenshots from Portal 2 and thought, "yeah, that's good enough." It wasn't.

Yup, using mental ray in Studio Max 2013. I would prefer to use Vray but can't really justify buying that. Fog is a really sweet idea actually - recently I worked out how to use the mist shader (or the parti volume shader) so shall experiment.

Last thing. My image is very high contrast, must sort that out!

Old 10 October 2013   #14
Coming out pretty well so far. The first thing came into my mind after seeing your render is a video of cry engine. You can make it better. Your work is awesome friend. So can't resist myself sharing some ideas. Just check this link and try to adapt those things including the environmental effects. Will be awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWvgETOo5ek
https://vimeo.com/80189808

Old 10 October 2013   #15
That is a really great reference thanks. I've downloaded the video and shall refer to it later on.

I might even consider buying Crysis 3 although after the bland experience I had with Crysis 2 I'm in no rush.

Thread Closed share thread