Audi R8

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2013   #1
Audi R8

Yes, i know that audi's are always being done in blender, let alone the rest of the CG world, but it's such a cool car, and someone i'm trying to *ahem* "impress" has these as her favorite car.

Anyways, second attempt at a car, working on getting it into a background. In the meantime, i have some studio style renders. All rendered in cycles at 450 and 900 passes (900 for the side view).

All of the model is created in Blender.

So let me know what you think!

I also created a police scheme for the car.

Old 09 September 2013   #2
Hmm those renders seem to have way too much contrast. It almost looks like they were written out in the wrong Gamma. The white paint blasts out of the image while the black areas are too dark and almost blend with the dark floor.
Are those renders just showing the car as an asset by itself or are those suppose to be the "artistic" car renders like how an automotive photographer would do them? If the last one is the case, have a look at images like this in terms of composition, color palette, lighting etc etc. It's nice to read, the perspective and the motion blur suggest speed and dynamic.

Those kind of images would be more appealing imo.
The perspectives you picked make it more look like a miniature.

Seems to be a good model, you can do way more with them!

Cheers
Andre

Old 09 September 2013   #3
Thanks for the feedback, what do you think of the red scheme images? I'm going to work on the shader for the white, it's just too bright without enough reflections, and turn down the black.

these images are just meant to be studio renders, to show off the car model.

Which do you think is the best approach to an environment image? a 3d environment or a background image?

Thanks a lot!

Old 09 September 2013   #4
Hi
Speaking about the pure modeling, the whole front part would be to check carefully because the shape is wrong. It doesn't follow the right curvature, being the grille too much prominent ahead instead of to be integrated in a seamless curve. The front hood (so the fenders) has a weird curvature. The back end part too has accuracy issues since the inclination is different (Y axis) compared to the true thing.
Don't get me wrong, u showed good skills, above all considering it's your second car only, just u need to be closer to the real thing, your next car will be more accurate.
It's very important to look at lot of references, they're never enough.
Anyway, your model looks clean (apart from the doors, near the front fenders) so u have a nice base to work on

Last edited by Kangaltwo : 09 September 2013 at 09:53 PM.

Old 09 September 2013   #5
Thanks for the pointers, sometimes i feel like i can tweak and tweak, but still not get close enough :P

I noticed the doors, so i'm going to work on them. Also working on a new rendering setup.
Thanks!

Old 09 September 2013   #6
Hey, as far as modeling goes I do think that there is some work to be done if you are willing to go back and fix stuff at that stage. I think that the hood as a weird bend in it that is not present in the real car. Also I think that the doors are a bit to high and that the transition from the hood to the grill isn't right. The roof and a pillars don't seem to be perfectly smooth, and the windshield doesn't seem to fit in the pillars correctly, it seems a bit to far sunken in. I think that if you really wanted to make an image that was outstanding you would really need to work on the modeling quite a bit. I have only glanced over some things that were really glaring to me, but I am sure that you could find some more improvements if you looked carefully at reference.

On the other hand, it may not be worth the time. If you are just using this project as something to learn with, then i think you have already made a decent model. I am just critiquing what I think might help you, as I am no guru or master either.

Old 09 September 2013   #7
Hey man, thanks for the feedback. I worked on most of the modelling suggestions. Really happy i kept a clean mesh, so it's pretty easy to make changes as i go. :P

I guess that's also the beauty of Blender, you can make a ton of changes on the fly.

working on getting the accuracy down, so far i've fixed the roof, the door seams, the grill, and the joining of the hood and the grill, as well as some improvement on the door. I also made the windshield nearly flush with the pillars of the roof.

I'm pretty happy with the topology so far.

Last edited by BenBlease : 09 September 2013 at 05:09 PM.

Old 09 September 2013   #8
U have mainly 2 problems now:
1) The door's shape is wrong. The reason is that it should follow for the first half the front fender line, yours is suddenly inward instead. Besides the nerve should become inward the more it goes toward the back, inside the carbon panel.
2) The radiator part should be as curvy as the whole front, not detached and edgy. It should be done in an unique piece within the front, then u could cut it to get the part.

Old 09 September 2013   #9
hmm i'm not following you, any chance you can draw on the screenshot?

Old 09 September 2013   #10
Ok, i fixed the doors, and made some more tweaks to the model.

let me know what you think!

Old 09 September 2013   #11
Better now
The biggest issue who comes to my eyes now is the rear fender upper line, who should follow the wheel arc line, yours instead is too curvy toward the end. Also,the wheels are too big in diameter and the tire are too thin as vertical thickness.

Old 09 September 2013   #12
audi

i love my only problem is the rotors they look a little to big maybe its just me or the angle but they look like there attached to the rims in a weird way

Old 10 October 2013   #13
Ok. Fixed th wheels and the hood. Any other accuracy problems?

Old 10 October 2013   #14
Yes mate, the upper line of the rear fender is wrong as i showed in my previous post. Also, i see lot of bumps and pinches here and there in this shaded shot. U should fix your mesh to avoid these issues.

Old 10 October 2013   #15
hmm. ok. fear not, I've worked on the fender, but i guess it still needs some tweeking. I'll work on the pinches and clean up the mesh.

Thanks!

Thread Closed share thread