Miked08
Big fan of pictures

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Mike Luard
CGI Artist
Colchester, United Kingdom

Hut in the woods

This will be an environment scene set in a wood. I'm doing this as a portfolio piece but also to work out some foliage tricks and learn mudbox. Here are a couple of sketches of where I intend to go:

Primary concept:

Secondary concept:

I've just started to block model the scene in 3D.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
anna1
Expert

portfolio
Anna Huber
3D Artist
Germany

I really like the concepts Will be interesting seeing it in 3D with all the textures.

Anna

Old 08-31-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
MeMo45
portfolio
mathias
egtved, Denmark

The sketches is lookin' really good, I'm looking forward for the 3D results

Old 09-01-2013, 03:13 AM   #4
AlexSarakapudaff
Frequenter
portfolio
Aliaksandr Sarakapudau
Vancouver, Canada

Very nice start, I am liking it a lot. The only problem I see is that all the objects right now are roughly the same size. I would like to see you change it up a bit. Scale up that rock formation for example and add more smaller props.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
pollos
2∞&→

portfolio
Tomm
Modeling/Technical Artist
ToonBox Entertainment
Toronto, Canada

Nice work so far. one thing I think could use some improvement is the composition. maybe you could add some foreground elements to help with the framing the main focus point better (the cabin). maybe also frame the entire scene a little closer. I realize it's still at the early stages now, but just something to keep in mind

Old 09-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
Miked08
Big fan of pictures

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Mike Luard
CGI Artist

Thanks guys. I agree regarding the composition that there's isn't a obvious hierarchy. The focus should be on the hut and it's a little ambiguous at the moment. Although the issue of object scale is valid (zooming in) I think lighting will be the key tool in pushing back the rock face for example. I imagine the scene as being in quite a dense wood where sunrise light is just beginning to come in - the recent Pixar film Brave does achieves this very well with murky blue backgrounds and almost golden light patches in the foreground. Currently I'm at this stage:

Things will undoubtedly change though...

Old 09-01-2013, 11:39 PM   #7
Jackofkings
Frequenter

portfolio
Richard Sanderson
Regular old Security Job until something else comes along.
Afton, USA

Its looking good in terms of rendering. But your hut is almost in the direct center of your image. Since it is your focus that is one of the worst things you want to do composition wise. I would search the web for some quick do and don't on composition as you also have all the major objects that draw the eye, aka the stone wall and tree lined up very horizontally. Though Horizontal lines lend a static, calm feel to a picture, it also makes it less interesting.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
Miked08
Big fan of pictures

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Mike Luard
CGI Artist

^ Last little concept change before I start modelling properly. I'm not totally happy with it but will only know if the image will work once I further the 3D scene. Shall update this topic in a week or two.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #9
ACantarel
Helicopter-Guy

portfolio
Andre Cantarel
CG Model Supervisor
santa Monica, USA

Lovely last render, I like how the paint over gives it a nice organic touch. The lighting is also nice. Are you going to put a little creature in it as well?

Old 09-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #10
Miked08
Big fan of pictures

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Mike Luard
CGI Artist

Slightly new direction as I wasn't satisfied with the composition. I'm still unsure about the background and the right side of the image is weaker than the left but hopefully that'll get sorted out when I start modelling this in 3D.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #11
anna1
Expert

portfolio
Anna Huber
3D Artist
Germany

I really like it. I don't know if you have to think too much about, if the right side is weaker than the left. I mean the hut is the fixing point and perfectly in the light. As the light comes from the back right side, the right front side has too be darker, hasn't it? So I like it, especially as it is not distracting too much.

Anna

Old 09-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #12
AncienRegime
Veteran
portfolio
Canada

Very nice; even just the clay render looks very cool.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #13
ACantarel
Helicopter-Guy

portfolio
Andre Cantarel
CG Model Supervisor
santa Monica, USA

Hmm I liked the previous version more as it had a warmer feel to it. Maybe it's just the slightly darker beige tone you're using in the sun lit areas. Also the big rounded stones on the right gave the house some sort of tiny look which was neat imo. The open space in front of the house was good, in the new one the dark grass makes it a bit too busy. It was a good palce for the eye to rest.

Cheers
Andre

Old 09-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #14
Miked08
Big fan of pictures

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Mike Luard
CGI Artist

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm still not happy with things so excuse yet another paintover - I really have to settle on something soon! Right now, I'm quite liking this:

I will need to play around with colour variation, here's a shot from The Hobbit. It's so weird that plants can be blue. By the way, I'm not very good with colour so suggestions are very welcome.

One good thing is that I've finally worked out how to do grass using a few simple models and a max 'paint' script. Seems to work fairly well.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #15
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread