Ferrari 250 GT0 (1963)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #1
Ferrari 250 GT0 (1963)

Hi guys.
I thought it was the time for a brand new work, so i'm modeling a Ferrari 250 GTO , a true icon of the sixties and one of the most expensive car u can actually buy. If u can afford 5 Veyron Grand Vitesse, maybe u could consider to buy this one...if u find it...
Anyway, 180.000 polies so far, but it's just the beginning. I'm trying to get a clean and accurate carbody before to go ahead. The rear end with that blended spoiler will be a pain (if u know the car) , i'm thinking about the best way to model it still.
This Ferrari exists in 3/4 versions who slightly differ for some details above all on the front and rear end, i'm modeling the classic stock .
The whole car is difficult to model because of its shape, a common feature of the sixties sport cars. I like to face new challenges, switching from very different cars.
I hope u like the work so far.
Software is Rhino of course.

Last edited by Kangaltwo : 09 September 2013 at 09:12 PM.

Old 08 August 2013   #2
Cool man, it looks like your off to a good start! Are you taking a break from your cyber cheetah? Your recent renders on that looked bad ass, and I would love to see it finished one day. I'm sure this car will turn out great too though.

Old 08 August 2013   #3
@ AJ1

Hello
Thank u. I thought it was easier to model at the beginning, then , once jumped into, i noticed alot of hidden tricks modeling this beauty. The surfacing is good, not the accuracy of some metal sheet, i have to fix it absolutely before to model the tail. For example (as someone rightly noticed on SMCars) the side flares blends along the bonnet should be almost flat going toward the windshield, mine aren't. And the headlights base is off.
About the cheetah, don't worry , it's on a momentary break only, i'll finish it , just i needs a bit of time Maybe i'll finish this Ferrari before to keep on the cheetah.

Last edited by Kangaltwo : 08 August 2013 at 09:15 AM.

Old 08 August 2013   #4
I decided to re-model the surfaces since i wasn't happy of the result.
This is what i achieved so far. And i can't hide to be satisfied now, ready to proceed with the rest of the main surfacing.
Most difficult car i've ever modeled, even more than the McLaren P1, who wasn't exactly ''easy'' to build.

Old 09 September 2013   #5
Its nice to see your taking a disciplined approach to things! That's something I definitely struggle with on my own models, but its been getting better with time and experience. I think looking at threads like this reminds me to finish one part and do it properly before I move on to the next.

Old 09 September 2013   #6
@ AJ1
Yes, modeling things like this, i think it's a good rule to proceed only if the base is solid and without any issues, i mean ''perfect''. Otherwise it doesn't make sense to build something on sandy foundations.

Old 09 September 2013   #7
Well, this is the main carbody's shape. Everything has been a trick so far but i'm quite satisfied of the final result.
Next step will be the detached tail spoiler and back panel. Then i'll pass to the details and everything the car needs.
Please note how the transition between the door and rear fender has no continuity because the true thing has this feature too.

Old 09 September 2013   #8
One step beyond. Details will come. I know it's not very interesting to follow the naked surfacing, people usually like when it starts to add details and stuff since it's more spectacular and fashinating, but the base surfacing is the true trick doing a car, the rest is alot easier although pretty long and sometimes even boring. Now the very basical shape is done, and i can say i'm satisfied, so that i'll keep on without any modifications. It's a bit like to build a home, if the fundaments are solid, everything will be right
I hate to do things randomly, above all when u model a car or similars trying to match the true thing, it's important to evalue carefully every steps, that's why i proceed slowly .

Last edited by Kangaltwo : 09 September 2013 at 04:56 PM.

Old 09 September 2013   #9
In the meanwhile i did the classic Borrani rim. 48 rays total, 24 inward, 12+12 outward, all slightly curved toward the rim's center.
I find useless to do renders at this early stage, so just some very quick clays at the moment.

Last edited by Kangaltwo : 09 September 2013 at 09:32 PM.

Old 09 September 2013   #10
Looks good so far, great car to model!
How much time did you spent on it so far?
I totally agree about what you've said about getting the base form right. If that goes wrong everything that follows is going to end up in the trash can at one point if you need to correct the base
Are you planning to leave it in Rhino and do your final renders there or are you going to ship it over to max/maya...?

Cheers
Andre

Old 09 September 2013   #11
@ ACantarel

Hi
Thanks for your words.
I'm spending lot of time doing it, 2 weeks so far, 4-5 hours per day. I'll model some environment too, and the interior, the upper part at least just to do not give the impression of emptyness looking throughout the windows.
I'll render it with Keyshot 4, so no Max or Maya for me, i don't know how those softwares work since i'm not into polygonal modeling. I know Max and Maya have a more sophisticated render engine but i think Keyshot is perfect for automotive.

Old 09 September 2013   #12
Rim + tire.
This is just a shaded screenshot. As i've said, it's not the moment for renders yet.

Old 09 September 2013   #13
A quick test with the very undetailed car. I'm gonna add every details on the next days.
Considering all the geometry i have to add still ( interiors included) and the texturing work i'd say i'm at the 50% of the project.

Last edited by Kangaltwo : 09 September 2013 at 12:14 AM.

Old 09 September 2013   #14
Filletting& chamfering the whole carbody. The metal sheets are ready to receive details, i'll start from the headlights.

Old 09 September 2013   #15
A 180 seconds render test for main surfaces checking. Look at how the light is interrupted on the door-rear fender transition, it's a 250 GTO feature, following the Scaglietti's specifications.

Thread Closed share thread