Lempo & Trapper

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2013
Lempo & Trapper

Hello everyone!

I've been working on some 2D character concepts which I'm now going to turn into 3D models. Target polycount is around 10 000 quads. The models are going to have at least diffuse, specular and normal maps.

Here's a WIP of the creature I'm working on (still missing the front leg, tail and a whole bunch of hair/feather planes). The polycount is now at 2500 quads. Currently I'm trying to achieve a decent topology and form. There are some areas with weird or fucked up topology because I'm not sure how I want the faces to flow in some areas, like the belly, shoulder and chest. The characters are not going to be animated, so that gives me some leeway but I still need to pose them for beauty shots. I'm also a little bit concerned about modeling the creature in that curved idle pose. It feels natural and OK otherwise, but I fear it might cause problems with sculpting because I would need to consider the curvature while sculpting the details, especially for the belly side.

Please let me know if you spot anything I could improve! I would appreciate the feedback!

Here's the original 2D- thread: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...29&page=2&pp=15

08 August 2013
Oh man, I love this. I was following your 2d thread and I am a huge fan of the design, I love the conquistador vs the Aztec style monster, very cool. as for the modeling, not much to say yet. Looks like you have enough deformable polys in the right places, I might consider splaying out the limbs a little more to accommodate any extreme poses you'll want to put the character into. like straiten out the neck and fore arms a bit, not full extension, just more then they are now.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the textures done in your art style, it should be pretty cool!

cheers

08 August 2013
Thanks LeeSalo! I'm planning on imitating Darksiders style with the textures. So there will be a lot of emphasis on hand painted diffuse with specular and normal maps enhancing it. My time is pretty tight though, so I might have to use some photos to cut corners with the details.

I straightened the creature and its forelegs a bit. Modeling the feet took much longer than I thought it would and they are still not done. I also did a super quick test with some feather planes. I took the first decent alpha map I could find with google search and copy pasted it a few times.

(Even at the risk of sounding stupid, I wonder what the deal is with CGS image uploader. The image sizes are so small that even 0 quality save in photoshop doesn't produce small enough pics to upload through the attachment manager.)

08 August 2013
Nice! I really love the 2D concept, and I'm sure the 3D will turn out great. I'm looking forward to watching this one!

08 August 2013
Thanks for the encouraging words AJ1!

Not much progress today but I'd like to ask about the edge flow in hopes that I get a protip before I continue tomorrow. :P

I know that it's a good habit to follow the muscle structure and forms of a character when modeling it (especially if you are working with high polycount), but I'm worried about the areas between different loops (the WIP hip area in the picture). Will those break the mesh when animated or cause other problems? How does the more realistic flow fare against a simpler one in general?

08 August 2013
I was hoping to unwrap the creature today, but ended up polishing and nitpicking. I did a quick test export to mudbox as well and the mesh is good to go after I unwrap it. I wonder how the tail is going to turn out. It's pretty large and heavy, so I modeled the base as part of the mesh itself. The rest is going to be alpha planes. The tail messed up the existing leg topology, but I don't think it's going to be a problem.

I'll cut the creature into 4 parts for sculpting: head, body, fore & hind legs. I'd like to cut the legs from shoulder & hip, but there's nothing to hide the seams. If I cut them from the knee & elbow I can hide the seams into folds.

Last edited by Arbinn : 08 August 2013 at 02:33 PM.

08 August 2013
Almost got the creature unwrapped today. Got stuck at the shoulder/armpit area. I'll finish the unwrap tomorrow and start working on the rig and skin. After that I'll model the other character.

10 October 2013
I've had some health issues, which has ruined my schedule. I'm now focusing on getting just one character done in time. I have almost modeled the trapper, but I won't continue working on her until the creature and the written part of my thesis are done.

Despite my best efforts I made several mistakes with the low poly and its UV, which forced me to go back and forth between max and mudbox while sculpting to fix those problems. I've finished lempo's high poly and I'm now trying to bake the normal maps as well as I can. I'm using xNormal for baking and Marmoset toolbag for rendering. Marmoset is proving problematic though because the head and body have separate UV's but marmoset only accepts one material per object. I have used Marmoset before (1,5 years ago) and I could swear that I used several material ID's for one solid object and made it work in Marmoset back then. I'll have to investigate and see if I can find that old file.

10 October 2013
I'm probably just going to suck it up and render the creature with head and body as separate objects in Marmoset. I just have to do my best to hide that painfully visible seam. I'm also considering Xoliul, which supports material ID's, but it seems to have a lot of problems with normal seams and I don't know how long it would take me to figure out a solution.

Anyway, I've been working on diffuse maps and feather planes. I've painted the textures with Mudbox only so far. Hand painting textures with it is pretty clumsy and limited though so I'll probably continue in Photoshop soon.

I'm also getting really bored of that static pose. I try to get the final feather planes in place soon so that I can rig and skin the damn thing and get some cooler poses going.

10 October 2013
Slow progress... I think the WIP diffuse and planes are looking decent, but when I add the normal maps it becomes really ugly in Max. I haven't tried the whole thing in Marmoset yet. Hopefully the planes play nice with the mesh there. I also have no idea how the planes are going to act when rigged & skinned with the mesh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Diffuse + Planes WIP.jpg (72.3 KB, 8 views)

11 November 2013
Been working on the written part of my thesis and diffuse. The creature is rigged and skinned (if you care to call such lousy job a "rig" ) and I'm now just crunching to get everything done after which I'll pose the creature and render it in Marmoset.

Here's some rather dim Mudbox texture WIP's and feathers in Max.

11 November 2013
I love the design and the vibrant colors a lot! It's so nice and different from the stuff i do.
Did you relax those UV patches? Maybe you can squeeze some of the minor distortions out but now it actually doesn't matter that much anymore.
What look are you aiming for in the final renders? I can image some sort of realistic cartoon look would be great to keep those saturated colors.

Cheers
Andre

11 November 2013
Design is really cool. The only thing that stands out to me as odd is the muscle running down the back. It seems a little bit too pronounced to me.

Awesome stuff!

11 November 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread