Snapshot

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #16
Hey, thanks a lot for your feedback I think you are perfectly right about the translucency. What do you think would be the best way to do it? Subsurface scattering?

Old 08 August 2013   #17
SSS for Leaves...

I think this is the way to go with a combination of a subtle bump map for detailing...

Old 08 August 2013   #18
Hi Anna
While i'm waiting to be deleted (hopefully very soon) i can still give my feedback, so i have to say this project is coming along nicely, i love the funny mood u're giving it. If u'll be able to keep this level til the end it will be a great and original work. This carnivore plant reminds me of the movie ''The little shop of horrors'' (1986, Frank Oz).
I'll keep on following this for sure (as guest) in the next future.
Have a nice time

Old 08 August 2013   #19
The plants looking good, lady! I think it would do well with some SSS just to let the light pass through, and give it a bit of life! Just out of curiousity, you're rendering in vray foooor, maya? or max? or is it just standalone? Either way! Looking good!

Old 08 August 2013   #20
Thanks mister ^^ I am using Cinema 4D and Vray for Cinema 4d.

@Kangal I definitely want to keep the level up, hopefully even getting a little bit better and thanks that you want to follow this, even as a guest

@Artdigital Thanks a lot, sounds like a plan, I am just testing it out

So I started to work on the SSS for the plant, but I don't really have to show something right now, as I didn't had much time this evening, so I only did some render tests, checking out, how exactly it is working, what's happening when turning up/down single parameters etc. But the results are not convincing me yet. So I guess I will test some more and show it off more tomorrow.

Have a lovely evening

Anna

Old 08 August 2013   #21
Well, if you haven't used the SSS before, the documentation is usually not too bad at explaining it!
http://vrayc4d.com/manuals/vrayforc...t-sss2-material
Dunno about the one for cinema4D but give it a quick read, and see if it helps
Good luck!

Old 08 August 2013   #22
Hey, thanks a lot, I already read through it and did the tests based on it. This time it is only a small update and only on the stem. I am not completely sure, if it shouldn't look more translucent, or if this is enough. I must confess, that I didn't get the hang of the SSS to 100% yet. I mean I know what the parameters are doing etc. but it is always looking solid. So I used the SSS shader in the refraction shader. Oh and I added some hair, thought that this would give it a much rougher/hardcore look

Feedback is as always very welcome

Old 08 August 2013   #23
SSS testing

This looks great but I think the leg stems could do with some work, have you any reference on plants to help with your scene or guess work?

Old 08 August 2013   #24
I love the neck stem! looks awesome with the fur
Good stuff lady!

Old 08 August 2013   #25
Thanks a lot you two

@Artdigital: I have some references here and also looked at it. But I wanted to give it an edgy, more used look, so I changed a couple of things. In the image above I didn't do any work on the legs and arms yet. But now I did and here it is.

I am still not convinced by the colour of the legs, because technically they are roots and roots are never green. On the other hands, they could also be twines. So what do you think?

thanks a lot again

Anna

Old 08 August 2013   #26
Hi< kinda liking the feel of it. Maybe you could add some dirts and rock or sand/debris on the legs as that the part dats coming from under d ground. like it has been uprooted, that will kind of break off the green feel goin all trough a bit. You could also add cracks to the areas around the pot where the legs are shooting out. (Just some thought). Good luck

Old 08 August 2013   #27
thanks olumaiye, your thoughts were very helpful I added some cracks on the pot, a scarf on the head and some dirt on the roots. I am going to add some dirt flying around as well, but I am going to do it in the final image with the other characters, as they are going to raise dust as well.

So here is another update. I think I should do something with the tongue, too. At the moment it is looking too clean and smooth. Maybe some salive could drop down from there, like bulldogs are doing it.

I already started to unwrap the next character, and might even start with it as well and taking a short break from the plant, so that I come back with some new ideas, the next time I am looking at it. But the plant is definitely not finished yet.

Anna

Old 08 August 2013   #28
Great improvements...

Definitely like these amendment and a good call from olumaiye on the cracked pot and the dirt areas on the plant though I do think the dirt should appear in more gradual and a little less heavy, I know you intend to do more work on this but thought I'd mention it...

Old 08 August 2013   #29
Hey, thanks a lot

I am really glad, that you mentioned that. you are absolutely right. Currently the dirt is more looking like mud and not like dry dirt, as it was intended to. So thanks a lot and no worries, I am always happy, if I am getting feedback

Anna

Old 08 August 2013   #30
Hey,

here is another update on the plant, I changed the dirt, although I am not 100% happy with it yet, but I added some on the leaves as well. Then there is some green saliva flying around as well.

Then I unwrapped the second character and started to sculp in the details. He is without any textures yet, but I guess you get an idea how he is going to look. I want to give him a lightly translucent texture, like jelly, maybe in some bluish, purple colour. And very important, the eye colour. I have no idea, which one is going to suite him...

Anna

Thread Closed share thread