Snapshot

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2013
Snapshot

Hi everyone,

The name of the image will be "SNAPSHOT" and the idea behind this is, that it is an ordinary day somewhere in the future, everyone is outside in the park and some of them just decided to do a little race. Just for fun, as it has been done forever and although the participants have changed, there are humans, aliens, monsters, roboters and even gen manipulated plants, one thing didn't changed at all. Everyone want to be first.

So the image below is only a layout, every character is still modeled in it's T-pose. And I just threw them all together to get an overall impression, how they are working with each other. I am planning things like that the girl is holding back the flying monster, that the slime alien is leaving a slime trace behind him and that another one is slipping on it, there will be sweat dropping in all directions, long tongues hanging out of mouths and so on and on. And everyone is doing his best to become first.

So I am now going throughout every single character, doing some more sculpting and putting textures on him as well and then post him here. I might even do some more characters, as it is still looking a little bit empty, but I will see how it looks, when they are in their final pose.

So it would be great to get some feedback, especially about the textures, as I really want to get them as nice as possible. They don't have to be realistic, but believable realistic, if that makes sense. I guess currently there cannot be said much about textures and light, as it is only a layout, but just for the future

By the way, I am working with Cinema 4d and VRAY.

Have a lovely evening and thanks a lot

Anna

Last edited by anna1 : 08 August 2013 at 05:24 AM.

08 August 2013
Hi Anna, I cannot see the image...

08 August 2013
hm.. that's strange. I can see it. Maybe I did something wrong. But here is a direct link.

Scene_Layout_01

I hope this works.

Anna

Last edited by anna1 : 08 August 2013 at 05:26 AM.

08 August 2013
I've noticed your file is a tif format, try using a JPEG or PNG I think... (a web friendly format)

08 August 2013
thanks a lot. So now it should all work.

Anna

08 August 2013
What a promising scene Anna, i'll follow this hopefully u'll update it rather soon.
Keep going

08 August 2013
I love the little furry dude! and that carnivorous plant is pretty sweet too Looking good! keep at it

08 August 2013
A strange yet curious scene that makes me think of Monsters Inc. I would space out the girl a bit as the scene looks a little cluttered at the moment but I like what I see (like the depth of field effect for the background)

08 August 2013
thanks a lot for all your feedback already. I started to unwrap the carnivorous plant, but didn't had much time to go anywhere further as I had to work long hours. But I'll show some more tomorrow evening.

Anna

08 August 2013
First thought was "Monsters University"! Any inspiration from that one?
Any updates in terms of posing? It is kind of tricky to see where it is going story telling wise with only T-poses. Are you going to keep that framing? What is the floating thing on the right?
I don;t see any textures here, hard to give feedback on those but I would take some stills from Pixar movies and mimic those shaders.

I love the walking plant!!

Cheers
Andre

08 August 2013
Hey,

this one is really only for layout as I wanted to know, how it is kind of fitting together in a rough way. I am currently working on the textures for the plant, but I have been so busy the last few evenings (unexpectedly), that I could only work a little bit on it. But as it is weekend now and I have plenty of time, I can definitely show you something very soon :-)

08 August 2013
Uh...where are ''my'' updates ???

08 August 2013
@Kangal

here is "your" update I started with the plant and the other ones will follow piece by piece

I unwrapped the plant completely in Body Paint and I guessed that it would be boring posting the UV Maps here, but it is finally done and now I started to put the basic colours on it.

I am going to do a lots of things with it, these is only the basic. I haven't even decided yet completely, if I want to go with the typically colours or if I am going to give the head another colour, maybe blue/purple. So what do you think about it?

But what I am planning to to is getting more structure on it via displacement/bump maps. Making the colours in different shades of the basic colour. Putting dots on the head, making the spikes in different shades of yellow according to the gradient of the green. Putting reflections and specular on it and at least I think I should use some SSS for the leaves so that they are looking more natural.

The only thing I don't have a clue about at the moment is the lip's colour. I don't like this red, I tried yellow and white as well, but it is looking strange, so do you have a sugesstion about it. Or should I just leave it, carry on with everything else and then see at the end, how it is fitting together?

Have a nice Sunday and thanks a lot

Anna

08 August 2013
Hey,

I did some more work on the plant, mainly on the head, the flower pot and the stem.
Currently I am working on the leaves and the other parts of the plant.

Have a lovely evening

Anna

08 August 2013
Nice to see this project is starting to take shape, good job on the texturing, it would be great if the leaves and the stem had some translucency like a real plant, I think this would add to your scene. Something to consider...

Thread Closed share thread