Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 08-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #31
Kangaltwo
Rhino automotive modeler
portfolio
Mario Rossi
Italy

Ok guys i'm back.
Unfortunely my account has been deleted before i could tell them i wanted to stay, so i created a new account and i'm keeping on my thread. If there's something wrong keeping on a thread with a different account please tell me and i'll start a new one.

Anyway, here are the latest updates, did the intercooler, all the tubes connections (engine aspiration/exhaust, intercooler air in/out, cinematic system for the rear legs). It's not meant to be functional as it never could work in the real life, but i think it could give a nice impression looking at it in an overall view.

Thanks.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #32
Kangaltwo
Rhino automotive modeler
portfolio
Mario Rossi
Italy

EDIT : Sorry double post.

Last edited by Kangaltwo : 08-18-2013 at 09:27 PM.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #33
Kangaltwo
Rhino automotive modeler
portfolio
Mario Rossi
Italy

I have to say that the more i'm adding details, the more the texture's problem is enhancing. I havent't decided yet the technique to use . To unwrap this thing, although at 50% still (without to consider the environment) would mean to get insane.
And , since i don't like Rhino render, i should export the textured objects in a third part render engine (Keyshot 4).
Honestly i haven't understood yet the true meaning of tool like Mari or Bodypaint, but, if i'm correct, they should work without to unwrap the object , painting directly on it. Is it right? And if it's right, how could i use it with Rhino files and Keyshot? If, as i've understood, Mari works with .obj files also, then how to render them in Keyshot once textured? Working with .obj files would mean to loose the Rhino layers, so Keyshot couldn't recognise them...uhmm...any help guys?

Old 08-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #34
kybel
>B<

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Lukas Hajka
Slovakia

well. unwrapping is something that people dont usually like to do. but it just needs to be done if you want to have a clean prepped model for texturing. it can be done without it with PTEX, but i dont know if thats the right approach.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #35
Kangaltwo
Rhino automotive modeler
portfolio
Mario Rossi
Italy

Hi Lukas
Yes u're right, but Rhino has limited UV unwrapping capabilities, so this model is too much complex for it. That's why i'm thinking about something else.
Look, i'll do this way: I'll finish the pure modeling part then i'll think about it . I'm also sending the model to Rhino support to get some tips, we'll see.
Also, i'd like to know more about Mari, maybe it's the right answer since PTEX isn't a program, it's a source code so u need to be an exdpert C++ programmer to use it.
Anyway thank u for the help mate

Last edited by Kangaltwo : 08-19-2013 at 07:16 PM.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #36
Kangaltwo
Rhino automotive modeler
portfolio
Mario Rossi
Italy

After some pain, i reached this result. Frankly i think it's the thing i wanted for the legs, very rusted and aged. Don't u look at the green diffuse part as the whole image is a test, but i think i'll keep on this way. Other parts and legs will have other kind of rust and scratches, but what matters is that i've probabilly understood how to texture this guy.
What do u think?
Please click on it for better resolution, once in Photobucket click on the lens.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #37
kybel
>B<

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Lukas Hajka
Slovakia

looks just fine.

i would break it up a bit though. like , more scratches on the edges and in the areas of contact.
but i have no idea how to achieve that in rhino/nurbs .)

Old 08-19-2013, 09:02 PM   #38
Kangaltwo
Rhino automotive modeler
portfolio
Mario Rossi
Italy

Thank u mate.
Yes, it's an idea (a good idea). I think , since i'll create different textures for each legs (and the different part of each leg) i'll reserve your suggestion for the further parts. I've stored a good amount of hi res images in fact, to get textures. I'll use different textures to give the impression of a post assembled machine, like those cheap cars with a fender stolen from another car and so on, i don't know if i well explained what i mean.
Anyway, to add scratches to this particular texture, maybe i could use some alphas layering it above, i have to do some tests.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #39
kybel
>B<

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Lukas Hajka
Slovakia

cool. i would also add more pistons, servos and cables and various mechanical elements to make the overall design more believable, like its an actual dynamic machine.

this is the best artificial cheetah to date. could be a helpful reference :

Old 08-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #40
Kangaltwo
Rhino automotive modeler
portfolio
Mario Rossi
Italy

Wow, i had seen the static model only, not the video. Yes, i'll add many details still, but don't u forget mine is strictly fictional, this robot instead is a working machine (although very slow , the true cheetah is largely faster). My idea would be to get a cyberpunk style, where the function is on a second plane compared to the mood and athmosphere. I mean, a bit cartoonish, a bit Blade Runner style, something like that. It's everything so wip still, the fog will disappear step by step i hope

Old 08-19-2013, 11:49 PM   #41
Kangaltwo
Rhino automotive modeler
portfolio
Mario Rossi
Italy

Anyway, this is another version with scratches and something else, playing with specular, occlusion, bump and colour. I think in the final renders i'll add some biohazard logos or similars. I think thou the first version is better.
I hope u like by the way

Last edited by Kangaltwo : 08-20-2013 at 05:28 PM.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #42
Kangaltwo
Rhino automotive modeler
portfolio
Mario Rossi
Italy

The movement trasmission system for the rear legs is finished. As i've said, it doesn't mean to be functional and engineered, but a minimum should there be. So, if u ask why the bars have the same position although the legs are disaligned, it's because during the walking the system uses an internal gear system (invisible...lol) with 2 little differential gear on the bars ( where u see curvy bubble shapes) while during the running the legs work parallely so the bars stay parallel too, receiving the movement from the big centarl gear.
Please don't u take it as technical because it's not technical at all, it's sci-fi only with a minimum (very minimum) of technical approach and credibility.
Thanks for watching

Old 08-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #43
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread