Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 07-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
leblanc980
Veteran

portfolio
Dave LeBlanc
Chicago, United States

WIP Pagani Zonda F

Hey everyone. This is my first work inside Luxology Modo.
I downloaded the trial version of Modo, and choose this car to start Learning. I Must say I'm hooked on Modo now vs 3ds max..

I don't think this render came out that bad. Now all I have to do is learn a little bit more about Modo's lighting and physical sun, and greatly increase the texture quality of the asphalt among a few other things. I also want to add some trees behind the fence, and add detail to the fence, but I think this WIP is on its way to becoming a nice piece.

(I just noticed, but the front caliper's where hidden in the render by accident)
I added a little motion blur and smoke in photoshop to set the tone.

I'd love to hear some critique. Enjoy.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #2
Telemachus
Expert

portfolio
Mo Ali
n/a
Birmingham, United Kingdom

It's a good effort. I think your car model could use some extra work as there seem to be several lumps and creases that are not present on the real vehicle.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
leblanc980
Veteran

portfolio
Dave LeBlanc
Chicago, United States

Hi Telemachus, I will definitely take another look at my car model. I know I have to fix the rear quarter panel as it looks as though it got smashed in some how lol. I have to add fog lights, tweak a few things, but to my eyes it looks pretty close.
Take a look at this reference image, and give me your opinion. I hope this work can become portfolio worthy one day. Love any help..
Thanks again.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
AlexSarakapudaff
Frequenter
portfolio
Aliaksandr Sarakapudau
Vancouver, Canada

I love the last render. Very good job on the car modeling and texturing. The first render has some serious composition problems: the yellow road stripes seem to be your focal point, and the car is a bit misplaced. Also the whole quality of the environment seems to be much lower then the cars, making it unrealistic.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:32 PM   #5
leblanc980
Veteran

portfolio
Dave LeBlanc
Chicago, United States

Alex, the last image was a rreference image I used. :-(
The composition will ddefinitely come together as I learn more about Modos rendering capabilities. Thanks for the input.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:12 AM   #6
AlexSarakapudaff
Frequenter
portfolio
Aliaksandr Sarakapudau
Vancouver, Canada

Ha ha, my mistake! Your car on the first image looks pretty good too, though.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:16 AM   #7
leblanc980
Veteran

portfolio
Dave LeBlanc
Chicago, United States

Was able to get some more time on this WIP. I still have a long way to go. It still doesn't look clean and crisp which is what I'm trying to go for. Any quick ideas?

Old 07-31-2013, 02:20 AM   #8
AlexSarakapudaff
Frequenter
portfolio
Aliaksandr Sarakapudau
Vancouver, Canada

Hm not sure if what you did there made it any better. But you are now missing the shadow from the car. I think the best thing you could do is find a nice photo of a racing car that you like and try to copy everything as much as you can in 3D.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:56 AM   #9
leblanc980
Veteran

portfolio
Dave LeBlanc
Chicago, United States

So upon getting frustrated, I decided to start over with my environment. Luckily I did, turns out I had two directional lights set as the physical sun which was causing more than one problem with lighting, reflection and shadows.

So relieved that I found that squid error of mine. I setup a new and more appealing HDRI, set in my background trees and got a much more pleasing composition.

Now I can start focusing on fine tuning other areas.
I still feel I can get alot more out of the wall. I have a lot of reference images of Nascar walls. The tire marks are a lot sharper, and have a lot more bumps and bruises.

Anyways, this is a better start. Appreciate any advice.

Last edited by leblanc980 : 07-31-2013 at 06:57 AM.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:52 AM   #10
leblanc980
Veteran

portfolio
Dave LeBlanc
Chicago, United States

Although I have already submitted an older version into the latest 3d work forum, I couldn't help but try to get more out of it by touching it up with better lighting and volumetrics. I also included a Gobo in front of the sun light to give the composition cloud cover and softer shadows.

Just thought I'd share my learning curve inside Modo. Enjoy.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:09 AM   #11
ACantarel
Helicopter-Guy

portfolio
Andre Cantarel
CG Model Supervisor
santa Monica, USA

Hmm overall the rendering look a bit flat and "outdated" in terms of what you can easily do to move towards photo realism. First I would work a bit on the car shader and the necessary reflection environment. Image composition could use some work as well. Look up some hihg end car photography and adjust you framing/composition to that a bit. Also lighting wise, a dull grey scenario isn;t the best to show such a thing. If you want to stick with a similar angle, crop the image a bit more into landscape and move the car to the left so it has some room into it;s viewing direction.
There's another thread with the same car for inspiration in terms of shading and detail.
Observe what he did in every aspect, this will help to improve what you have a lot and you will get something very nice out of this model.

Cheers
Andre

Old 08-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #12
PLASTICMONSTER
Frequenter

portfolio
Peter Mayer
3D Freelancer
Budapest, Hungary

Send a message via MSN to PLASTICMONSTER
Hi, good start on the car. I made one too 3 years ago. Here`s a render for reference.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Online Portfolio and Reel

Old 08-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #13
leblanc980
Veteran

portfolio
Dave LeBlanc
Chicago, United States

I appreciate the advice plasticmonster and acantarel.
For good practice, I tried to bring the dark scene to life by adding rain. Maybe a much more appropriate and fitting composition given the lighting and dark tones.

I used the fur modifier to give the car and ground rain drops.
Gave the car and ground a bit of wet look. And adding the hydroplane beneath the tires.

I have to say it turned in the direction I thought it could go in.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #14
ULTR4MAR
Veteran

portfolio
Nejc Skufca
Ljubljana, Slovenia

Pretty good job, however one thing is bothering me above all else - the tires aren't spinning, and the image is blurred like the car is moving, so it looks unreal to begin with. The reflections on the car also look a bit dull, but I think you're not far from the finish line, keep up the good work!

Old 08-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #15
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread