Frequenter

portfolio
Egor Demin
Modeller, VFX artist
Freelancer
Moscow, Russia

Send a message via ICQ to Darth-Biomech
"Virus" robot

So, another remake it seems... Initially I decided to redo materials for this robot

to vray materials, to make it look cool and shiny... But in process I was all like "Hell, what I was THINKING when I modeled this part?! The topology is HORRIBLE! And that part doesn't even have turbosmooth modifier!"
So, just quick change of materials gradually switched to a refitting and partial remake project. And even redesign, in some places (arrangement of wrist joints gived me A LOT of headache with IK rigging, until I decided "to hell with it, I just redesign it to more simple setup"). Then I found out that I have to redo rigging too... Here is how it looks right now (Shoulders looks funny because I'm not finished rigging in that part):

What I intent to do, is finish with modeling, add texture variety like scratches and dirt, and then arrange this robot in aesthetically pleasing manner in some kind of dark hallway in menacing pose. Or something like this. I'll get to it when I get to it) If you have some questions ore suggestions, please, comment.

Last edited by Darth-Biomech : 07-24-2013 at 06:42 AM.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
Darth-Biomech
Frequenter

portfolio
Egor Demin
Modeller, VFX artist
Freelancer
Moscow, Russia

Okay, I think I done with remodeling and re-rigging.

All works like clocks now... Next step - painfully boring unwrapping of all details. X_x Then - painting dirt and scratches. Here is render of how model looks now.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:37 AM   #3
Pagrin
Veteran
portfolio
Jim Vinton
Melbourne, Australia

She's an interesting design. I like the head/face area in particular. The whole thing has a nice sleek feel to it.
The weapon unit on the back. How far can that reach? Because I was thinking it would be useful if it was able to fire over the shoulder as well.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
Darth-Biomech
Frequenter

portfolio
Egor Demin
Modeller, VFX artist
Freelancer
Moscow, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagrin
She's an interesting design. I like the head/face area in particular. The whole thing has a nice sleek feel to it.

Oh, thanks for your reply!
Does he really has that much of feminine looks? =D
Quote:
The weapon unit on the back. How far can that reach? Because I was thinking it would be useful if it was able to fire over the shoulder as well.

Well, technically it is possible that gun can fire over head, but it is more of a sniper weapon, that has recoil, relatively long warming up period and requires careful aiming from pose like that in character sheet bottom left corner (It is also game character, so balance and stuff is required). Virus is more of a assassin bot, with "strike stealthy from far away, or sneak upon victim and kill it in fast melee attack" kind of strategy.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:10 AM   #5
Pagrin
Veteran
portfolio
Jim Vinton
Melbourne, Australia

Sorry about the pronoun. I was just thinking that transport is often referred to as female.

Over the head is fine for the gun. I was just thinking that for the gun to be more useful it might want to be able to stand up and fire.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #6
Darth-Biomech
Frequenter

portfolio
Egor Demin
Modeller, VFX artist
Freelancer
Moscow, Russia

Quote:
I was just thinking that transport is often referred to as female.

Only ships, as far as I know. =D

Old 07-31-2013, 10:29 AM   #7
Kangal
Rhino automotive modeler

portfolio
Mario Rossi
Italy

Let me say i respect alot your technical approach building this model, even if as u know it's not my kind. Anyway, it's a true quality work mate, really well done honestly.
It's refined, it's well modeled and i love the rigs u gave it

Cheers

Last edited by Kangal : 07-31-2013 at 10:33 AM.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:47 AM   #8
Darth-Biomech
Frequenter

portfolio
Egor Demin
Modeller, VFX artist
Freelancer
Moscow, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangal
Let me say i respect alot your technical approach building this model, even if as u know it's not my kind. Anyway, it's a true quality work mate, really well done honestly.
It's refined, it's well modeled and i love the rigs u gave it

Cheers

Why, thanks I also respect yours. Rig is nothing spectacular to be honest - just standard CAT skeleton and parts of robot attached to it. Two single troublesome parts was hydraulics sliders on arms (I wanted them move purely automatic depending on arm bend level) and back head hoses (it's wobbling dynamic specifically). Aside of that, its just bunch of Look At controllers.

Last edited by Darth-Biomech : 08-03-2013 at 11:05 PM.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #9
Darth-Biomech
Frequenter

portfolio
Egor Demin
Modeller, VFX artist
Freelancer
Moscow, Russia

Dear Luna, it is killing me! This is A LOT more struggling that I expected! So far and I managed to unwrap only 5 objects... out of 350. How do y'all do that, damnit?! Here and there I see renders of very complex models with very complex details and all this clearly has actual mapping and no procedural mappingless textures (or very few of them).

Last edited by Darth-Biomech : 08-03-2013 at 11:05 PM.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:49 AM   #10
Pagrin
Veteran
portfolio
Jim Vinton
Melbourne, Australia

Unwrapping is just one of those things. Yes it's a pain, and it takes time, but the resulting texture options are very handy.
Having said that are you sure you need to unwrap every piece. You mentioned 350 objects. surely some of them a small details where a prcedual texture would work just as well.
Also where possible have to tried combining objects, to reduce your work load? Looking at the character I'm hard pushed to see 350 different objects there. Maybe if you can combine a few of them here and there, it will make things easier for you.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:18 PM   #11
Darth-Biomech
Frequenter

portfolio
Egor Demin
Modeller, VFX artist
Freelancer
Moscow, Russia

I decided to step back for a moment from UV'wing, get a rest, and draw some thumbnails variants for my final picture, to flesh out colors, composition and overall mood...

I came up with these four (well, two and a half honestly) variants and.. kinda stuck with ideas. I do not want to simply revert to my original showcasing idea "it menacingly standing on all fours in scifi corridor". I draw myself a goal, that maybe a bit bold for me... Well, honestly, It IS completely insane and hopeless, but... I want to try push this image into CG Choice Gallery.
So, well, yeah. I need to do my best, and for that I need an awesome composition idea. I'm not sure if these three I came up with is good or not, and what should be fixed in them to bring it to perfection. Me myself like of them all two variants with cyberpunkish set on night rooftops. It suits character's motto of assassin and infiltrator, but I'm still not entirely sure. What do you say?

Old 08-15-2013, 11:24 PM   #12
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Some people will use generated, non human readable UVs, and just paint textures in Mari, Zbrush or Mudbox. And if you need nice UV's they can take a long time. Its one of the reasons its a good idea to keep things as low poly as possible.

At first glance, your arms and legs do look a little long and ungainly. Does the walk cycle look ok? From your pic, it might look like the legs would need to swing around quite a bit to be able to walk, and that can look awkward.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #13
Darth-Biomech
Frequenter

portfolio
Egor Demin
Modeller, VFX artist
Freelancer
Moscow, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1
Some people will use generated, non human readable UVs, and just paint textures in Mari, Zbrush or Mudbox. And if you need nice UV's they can take a long time. Its one of the reasons its a good idea to keep things as low poly as possible.

At first glance, your arms and legs do look a little long and ungainly. Does the walk cycle look ok? From your pic, it might look like the legs would need to swing around quite a bit to be able to walk, and that can look awkward.

Hey, thanks for reply! Well, if I could use autounwrap, then I would. But I work in 3dsmax with turbosmooth modifiers, which deform UVs at seams, so they need to be in obscured and not noticeable places. I created a thread about that problem some time ago. About walk cycles - they seems to look alright, IMO. I rendered them in old variant, you can watch it here (I know that last one is crappy, I was just messing up with CAT at this point. :3): [link]

Old 08-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #14
Kangaltwo
Rhino automotive modeler
portfolio
Mario Rossi
Italy

Great to see u're pushing yourself to the limits, trying to reach the CG choice gallery. Those sketches are great, frankly i like 'em all. Best luck mate for your target

Old 08-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #15
Darth-Biomech
Frequenter

portfolio
Egor Demin
Modeller, VFX artist
Freelancer
Moscow, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaltwo
Great to see u're pushing yourself to the limits, trying to reach the CG choice gallery. Those sketches are great, frankly i like 'em all. Best luck mate for your target

Thanks, I appreciate it. I currently leaning towards second one, where Virus hanging on the skyscraper wall. Maybe I should add some sort of back story for picture, I think it maybe will help me add details to final image...

Thread Closed share thread