Drunk Homer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2013   #1
Drunk Homer

Hi all.
I'd like to share with u a lil thing i'm working on. It's going to be a scene taking as inspiration the attached image. This doesn't mean to be a copy of the image, but a scene with similar contents.
It's the first time i do something which isn't a car...so be patient with me. I'm using Rhino to model the scene, sadly not the best tool for characters.
This is the Homer's head i've just modeled, just a grabshot from Rhino's viewport.

Old 07 July 2013   #2
Update and wires. I just love doing this guy, this scene is so funny Besides is great to model sometimes something's different than cars.

Old 07 July 2013   #3
Dear friends, i need a suggestion mainly: Which kind of material would u use for the Homer's skin? A simple yellow diffuse with no reflections? What do u think? Also i'd like to create some beer spread on the floor. Do i need some particles software to do it (obviously no particles software are available for Rhino...) or i have to trust in Rhino again 6trying to get it someway?
Thanks in advance for the tips. Feel free to give me suggestions about how u'd do the scene, camera, stuff on the floor and so on

Cheers

Old 07 July 2013   #4
I would not use the type of material you currently have because he currently looks like a balloon, I would go for very flat diffuse colours where the shadowed areas create the look of 3d, also there was an early episode where Homer enters the real world and was done in CG, this may help as a reference guide for your final model.

Old 07 July 2013   #5

You should try to attach the eyeslids with the head.. not create thoses spheres in the head. The lights will flow more on a clean one piece

Old 07 July 2013   #6
@ Art Digital
Thanks for the feedback. I didn't use any materials yet, it's just a shaded viewport with yellow colour. This version of Rhino 5 (the latest one) gives this strange shiny shades. I agree, i'll use a diffuse material as u suggest

@ Scote
Thank u mate, so basically u say to blend the eyelids with the head, up and down of course. I thought to do it frankly, then i've decided to give it a hard surfaces' interruption following the suggestion of a skilled digital artist in another site. But, to be honest, i agree with u. It's not simple anyway to catch the right shape of a character drawn for 2D .

Old 07 July 2013   #7
@ Scote

Well, i've followed your suggestion and my first idea (they was the same as i previously wrote) but honestly i didn't like the result. Besides, i've remarked 3 important points (i think they are such at least):
1) In the pic u showed there are no eyelids but some corrugated forehead's skin. In my image reference the eyelids are well showed instead due to the particular expression being Homer drunk.
2) In the 2D toons the eyelids are always well separated from the head, not attached at all.
3) Again in the reference image, the eyelids have a different colour, so i think it's not a good idea to blend two surfaces having different colours in this particular case.

Old 07 July 2013   #8
Anyway, other updates here. Don't u look at the materials, they're shaded viewports screenshots at the moment. Homer still lacks ears and ''hair''.

Old 07 July 2013   #9
You model in Rhino a organic character good look Nurb are not good for that

Old 07 July 2013   #10
Thank u mate, very appreciated.
Yes, NURBS aren't good for that (hard surfacing would be its best) and this is my first attempt to model something which isn't a vehicle.
Anyway, i'm forced to model the legs , feet and slips and to enlarge the floor to fit 100% the render's viewport. Otherwise i should put the camera too closed to the character cutting out the right hand and part of the sandwich.
Soon other updates, thanks so much for following this

Old 07 July 2013   #11
Personally I would've agreed with Scote on the eyelids, mainly because of the hard edge it creates, having them modeled all in one would give a softer 'doughy' (I dunno if I am making that bit clear) effect.

Characters such as Homer Simpson, Peter Griffin or Fred Flintstone are difficult to perceive in three dimensions because of their simplistic caricature style, it may be easier to create a 'toon topology', a way to bring a natural looking dimensionality to a 2D character.

Old 07 July 2013   #12
@ Artdigital
Thanks for your feedback. Yes, they're not simple being concepted for 2D visualization, but i'm doing my best anyway.
Here are some updates Clays, shaded viewports' shots and wires. Don't u look at the materials, i've added colours only.

Old 07 July 2013   #13
This is what i have so far. I've added many cans and different tipe of bottles.
I don't know if i should add some ice creams, cakes, hamburgers, hot dogs and stuff here and there.

Old 07 July 2013   #14
Hi all.
This is just a test render to give me and u an overall idea of the scene.
Please read it:
1) I've not adjusted lights and shadows yet.
2) Many details will be added such as food and crushed cans above all.
3) The slip's material is obviously provvisory
4) The nipples too
5) I don't seek for excuses, but as i've said, this is my first attempt to switch from automotive toward something's more interesting. My first attempt to do complex textures too.

So, please, don't u ''shot on the piano player'' and be patient with me, i know a great part of CG talk is made by expert professionals who probabilly will find my work horrible, but i'm learning right now. Why am i so worried by the others' judgment? Because this is visual ''art'' (mine probabilly isn't art at the moment) and what the observer thinks is everything for the auctor.
Besides, instead of to learn a new more suitable software for characters (stylized or realistic doesn't matter) i've decided to put Rhino to its limits, so my next works into the organic modeling field will be realized inside Rhino again, we'll see what happens.

Thank u for reading, watching and following (if anyone)

Last edited by Kangal : 07 July 2013 at 09:21 AM.

Old 07 July 2013   #15
homers finger

I like it. i do just polygonmodeling anymore, but with a degree as a industrial designer i did my first steps in 3d actually with nurbs modelling tools. so i found your attempt quite interesting. the only thing which bothers me is the shape of homer's fingers. Would expect more cylindrical shapes.

Thread Closed share thread