Ballroom

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2013   #1
Ballroom

Hi everyone!

This is the first time I have enough courage to post my work here...

The idea was to create a ballroom in which I imagined a piano recital for the king and other important guesses (hence the luxury boxes).

My main source of inspiration was the Paris Opera. I didn't try to recreate it, but just loved some of the features.

Everything was modeled and rendered in XSI and textured in Photoshop.

Here are two renders that pretty much divide the room in half. One side is the piano side and the other is the staircase and exit.

Now, what do you think is missing to make my ballroom more realistic ( I mean photorealistic renders).

Any other comments, criticisms, etc., are welcome.

I want this to be the first piece in my first portfolio. My goal is to become an environment modeler.

Thank you for helping me!

Old 07 July 2013   #2
I'm really no expert, but for more realism you should probably consider using physically accurate lighting (Final Gather? Global Illumination?). I've also seen that an Ambient Occlusion pass helps greatly with realism and would probably help quite a bit with the piano placement.

Other than that, it all looks too perfect. Very saturated, sharp and full of contrast, which you may want to tone down a bit. I'm not sure if it'd help realism, but you may want to try toning these down a bit.

Old 07 July 2013   #3
Originally Posted by tomfisher: I'm really no expert, but for more realism you should probably consider using physically accurate lighting (Final Gather? Global Illumination?). I've also seen that an Ambient Occlusion pass helps greatly with realism and would probably help quite a bit with the piano placement.

Other than that, it all looks too perfect. Very saturated, sharp and full of contrast, which you may want to tone down a bit. I'm not sure if it'd help realism, but you may want to try toning these down a bit.

Thanks for the comments. The problem is that I already did all this. FG and GI are quite high in these renders (at least I think they are). There is also an AO pass which I added with Photoshop.

Not sure how to make it look less perfect in the way you describe it. Any suggestions anybody?

Old 07 July 2013   #4
I worked on a few things. I changed the overall lighting (a little more here... a little less there...) I added a zdepth pass and focused on the chandelier. I added lights to the chandelier.

What do you guys think? I would really appreciate some comments on this image as well as the first two.

Old 07 July 2013   #5
Anyone? Nothing?

I'm sure some of you could point out a few things that would be very helpful.

THX

Old 07 July 2013   #6
Maybe it's the bottom walls which are too "shiny"?

Also, the background pictures are overly blurry and seem out of place and piano keys a tad too bright. There's a spotlight above, but I'm not sure if the shadow you have underneath it is accurate. Isn't it way too soft? Distanced spotlights are supposed to produce a hard shadow I would think. Generally speaking, the overall look of the entire scene is dark.

Hard to pinpoint what's wrong with such an involved scene. Not sure if helpful, but worth a shot.

Old 07 July 2013   #7
Any comment is useful. Always better than none.

The wall is not shiny, this comes from a light in a hallway behind the boxes (for access). Don't know why it's not the same on both sides though, I will check that.

I made the pictures (which are tapestries) blurry with a depth pass, in order to check what that would do... not sure it worked as intended.

I'll check some references for the spotlight. I can make the shadow sharper.

Thx again, I'll work on all this and keep posting.

Old 07 July 2013   #8
I think the image feels a bit flat overall. Nothing draws your eye specifically too it. I think this is because there isn't enough contrast to the scene. No really dark area or really bright areas. A phrase that gets tossed around a lot is pools of light. Areas of illumination surrounded by darker areas. You have pools of brighter areas but in-between everything seems overly bright. I definitely think your shadows are too soft overall. I also think you may have a light somewhere not casting shadows like it should because it all feels a little fakely lit or maybe your gi is too high. There just seems to be too much low level even light everywhere. Something seems off about the contact shadows and reflections. None of the objects on the floor feel like they are contacting right. I can see the reflections and I know you said you have an AO pass multiplied on top but something is washing this stuff out. Try playing with the spread of the AO and make the reflections on the floor much stronger I think that would help this a bit. Everything is there for this too look great just needs a little more work.

Old 07 July 2013   #9
Originally Posted by MichelRobillard: Any comment is useful. Always better than none.

The wall is not shiny, this comes from a light in a hallway behind the boxes (for access). Don't know why it's not the same on both sides though, I will check that.

I made the pictures (which are tapestries) blurry with a depth pass, in order to check what that would do... not sure it worked as intended.

I'll check some references for the spotlight. I can make the shadow sharper.

Thx again, I'll work on all this and keep posting.
I can't point it out, but there's definitely something wrong with the material you chose for the walls. I'm not sure if it's the render settings, but they sure do look shiner than they should on both ends of the image - the center looks neutral, albeit a bit dark. Material type? Specular highlights? I just can't tell. Also the highlights on the "decorations" around the arched entrances might be too harsh. (Just curious - are those displacements?)

As for the tapestries, it might work. You definitely do have the focus on the chandelier, but most everything else seems to be in focus as well, including the curtains which are supposedly very close to the tapestries. It's what makes the blurry tapestries stand out as out of place.

Old 07 July 2013   #10
Hi all!

I have done a lot of work on my lighting and rendering. What do you think now?

[/QUOTE]

Larger

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...Piano-Side9.png

Old 07 July 2013   #11
Your candles miss some light. Few are not emitting. DO you use decay or attenuation on your lights?

Old 07 July 2013   #12
Originally Posted by Scote: Your candles miss some light. Few are not emitting. DO you use decay or attenuation on your lights?

I use attenuation. Should I not? And if I don't, do I just put a REALLY low number for my light intensity?

Old 07 July 2013   #13
Firstly let me say this is a stunning room you've built here.
But to create realistic lighting you have to allow for thing in the real world. What I mean by that is, your lights all seem to be balanced and equal, and the same color. But if this were real, this would not be the case.
Try adding slight variation to some of the lights. Making some of the candles in a cluster slightly brighter or softer. Adding a touch of white light to one candle or more yellow to another.
Basically giving each light just a small amount of variety. So that overall they might seem to light the room as you have in now. But they will retain a more natural level of subtly in themselves.

Old 07 July 2013   #14
Originally Posted by Pagrin: Firstly let me say this is a stunning room you've built here.
But to create realistic lighting you have to allow for thing in the real world. What I mean by that is, your lights all seem to be balanced and equal, and the same color. But if this were real, this would not be the case.
Try adding slight variation to some of the lights. Making some of the candles in a cluster slightly brighter or softer. Adding a touch of white light to one candle or more yellow to another.
Basically giving each light just a small amount of variety. So that overall they might seem to light the room as you have in now. But they will retain a more natural level of subtly in themselves.

Thanks for the compliments (feels good...)

There is some variation in the lights (mostly intensity though), but I suppose more would be better. I will definitively look into that, especially colors.

Old 08 August 2013   #15
Hi again everyone!

Here's a close up of the chandelier. Give me your comments, good or bad.

THX

[/QUOTE]

Larger image:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...chandelier.pngg[/QUOTE]

Thread Closed share thread