Cyberpunk self portrait!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07 July 2013   #61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Evil-studio
awesome work right now i like it this skin
keep on & good luck


Thanks dude! Much appreciated

Well, in the last hour my zbrush has crashed 3 times, and corrupted the file twice, so I'm not going anywhere near as fast as I'd like. I'm just adding detail to the back plates. Nothing too fancy.

 
Old 07 July 2013   #62
Hi Andrew
Leigh did a great post, and watching at her portfolio and website (that woman practically worked in all the greatest production of the last 10 years !!!) she knows what she said. So, try to make treasure of her tips, u're doing great and professionals' suggestions like that will do your work even better.
Good luck mate
 
Old 07 July 2013   #63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangal
Hi Andrew
Leigh did a great post, and watching at her portfolio and website (that woman practically worked in all the greatest production of the last 10 years !!!) she knows what she said. So, try to make treasure of her tips, u're doing great and professionals' suggestions like that will do your work even better.
Good luck mate


Cheers mate!! And don't worry, I will. I was looking at her portfolio! It's impressive stuff! And I 100% intend on following her advice, I mean, that paint over was gorgeous. My only concern is I have under 48 hours now to finish the hard surface, and texture it all, plus put it into maya and render out a turntable. Thankfully the tutor is pretty forgiving, and he's fine with us just making a quick setup with blinns, but still. I'm looking forward to the submission being over, so I can then work on this stress free
 
Old 07 July 2013   #64
I've been working on the back panels, but I'm out of time. I need to start texturing them!

 
Old 07 July 2013   #65
That's already plenty of details. You don't want to over clutter it.
As you have a deadline, you're right get that out of the way first then come back and play.
One tip I find handy when trying to texture quickly is to use photo textures or even just simple procedural ones for the small detail areas. You can still get a good level of detail, but it often doesn't take as long. Just keep in mind, how hard people are going to look at a given part, and how much are they going to look at the overall effect.
People "see" things more holistically than we think we do. For example the Tintin comics have what many people would consider very details artwork for a comic, yet you never seem to fail to notice the main characters. This is because the background are detailed and the characters are not. Their lack of shading and detail, makes them noticeable, while the background tricks you into thinking the whole image is detailed drawing.
 
Old 07 July 2013   #66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagrin
That's already plenty of details. You don't want to over clutter it.
As you have a deadline, you're right get that out of the way first then come back and play.
One tip I find handy when trying to texture quickly is to use photo textures or even just simple procedural ones for the small detail areas. You can still get a good level of detail, but it often doesn't take as long. Just keep in mind, how hard people are going to look at a given part, and how much are they going to look at the overall effect.
People "see" things more holistically than we think we do. For example the Tintin comics have what many people would consider very details artwork for a comic, yet you never seem to fail to notice the main characters. This is because the background are detailed and the characters are not. Their lack of shading and detail, makes them noticeable, while the background tricks you into thinking the whole image is detailed drawing.


Thanks for the tip dude! I was just trying to paint the textures on using alphas. Completely forgot about lightbox! So I found a steel texture, set it up and did a quick brush over. So the base coat should be about done, now I have to add the detail and shading! which I should have all night to do!

I like that.. that is actually really good advice! I tried it out, having the semi detailed plates as a lightish blue colour, and I made the pipes and screws near-black, and it really helps to break it up! The detail parts stand out a lot, and make it seem a lot more detailed then it actually is! I like it

Check it out for yourself. Keep in mind! just the base coat

 
Old 07 July 2013   #67
Texturing update. Still a lot that could be done, but not much time for that. I want to get an early night tonight, I'm getting a friend in advanced year to help me set up a basic vray scene in maya, and I'll try to pop out a quick turntable, and then the stress should hopefully be over!

Anyway, here it is!

 
Old 07 July 2013   #68
So instead of sleeping, I started having a go at replicating Leighs paint over. Figured I had time! And who needs rest anyway.

Here's the paintover.




and here's my new texture!



I tried to get as close as I could, while adding my own little twist. Loved the use of the yellow, really mixed things up, and I desaturated the face a tad, as well as adding a bit more purple around the image. It does look a lot better than what it did before! I especially like the cheek.

Edit: on second thought, I think I need more purple around the cheek, and a stronger red around the edges of the neck tear..
 
Old 07 July 2013   #69
OKAY. I was supposed to go to sleep 3 hours ago.. buuut.. guess not. Anyway. Last update for the night.

 
Old 07 July 2013   #70
That's all come together really well. You've done an excellent job.
 
Old 07 July 2013   #71
Love the blue veins. I'd added some heavy white scratches onto some metal parts, right now they're kinda monotone IMO.
 
Old 07 July 2013   #72
Cheers guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth-Biomech
Love the blue veins. I'd added some heavy white scratches onto some metal parts, right now they're kinda monotone IMO.


And I will do! But first I'm having a day off to relax and have a drink with my buddies
 
Old 08 August 2013   #73
So I've been away from this thread for a while, while we've been learning the intro to vray part of our course, but I'm back to it! I will be hopefully improving the texture and modelling detail on the way, but I want to start lighting and rendering it.



So I'm still very new to vray, and the lighting setup will change as I add the textures. Also I think the fill light comes over his left shoulder a bit strong. But right now I'm wondering if my character needs another subdivision for the displacement map to work properly! or maybe I'm just not doing something correct with the displacement attributes?
 
Old 08 August 2013   #74
Bumped up the subdiv level of the mesh, I'm a bit happier with how it's turning out now, just started to make the SSS shader, and I altered the key light a bit.

 
Old 08 August 2013   #75
Nice!
Just as a matter of curiosity, what was the response when you presented what you had.
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.