Cyberpunk self portrait!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2013   #31
Cheers Anna
Thanks a bunch for the feedback!
If you see anything else that needs improving, just let me know

Old 07 July 2013   #32
This is really decent, as far as I can tell! Love it. One thing that bugs me - that chains pulling skin back... They looks like out of place, like something medieval rather than hi-tech. Maybe some screws will look more in style with rest of the skull? Or maybe it just me, never mind then. ^^

Old 07 July 2013   #33
Originally Posted by Darth-Biomech: This is really decent, as far as I can tell! Love it. One thing that bugs me - that chains pulling skin back... They looks like out of place, like something medieval rather than hi-tech. Maybe some screws will look more in style with rest of the skull? Or maybe it just me, never mind then. ^^

Hey man! Thanks for the feedback! Hmm.. I can see why that might seem odd..I was hoping to try and convey that this guy is actually a robot as a base design, and that they'd just found a hack way to fix a human face he'd "collected" to him as some kind of disguise.. but maybe that doesn't come across so well :\ I don't know! that's what I'm trying to achieve anyway.. On the other side of the head I've made one of the skin flaps almost fully tear, and I'm going to attach it with a bolt as if they were just trying to keep it there.. I'll put a few screws in there as well to see how that goes! Feel free to keep watching this space and giving me feedback I need all the help I can get

Old 07 July 2013   #34
Love the idea of the pulled skin instead, a valuable and original detail imo, it's in perfect cyberpunk according .

Old 07 July 2013   #35
Originally Posted by AndrewMcC: Hey man! Thanks for the feedback! Hmm.. I can see why that might seem odd..I was hoping to try and convey that this guy is actually a robot as a base design, and that they'd just found a hack way to fix a human face he'd "collected" to him as some kind of disguise.. but maybe that doesn't come across so well :\ I don't know! that's what I'm trying to achieve anyway.. On the other side of the head I've made one of the skin flaps almost fully tear, and I'm going to attach it with a bolt as if they were just trying to keep it there.. I'll put a few screws in there as well to see how that goes! Feel free to keep watching this space and giving me feedback I need all the help I can get

Well, maybe if face will be attached to chain via some kind of technological pin, not a simple ring, it would look better?

Old 07 July 2013   #36
Originally Posted by Darth-Biomech: Well, maybe if face will be attached to chain via some kind of technological pin, not a simple ring, it would look better?

Hmm.. I think you may be right! I'll fix it up as soon as I'm done remeshing some of the dynameshed parts and post an update so you can see how it looks, sometime tomorrow if I don't have any issues with this

Originally Posted by Kangal: Love the idea of the pulled skin instead, a valuable and original detail imo, it's in perfect cyberpunk according .

Cheers dude Glad you like it!

Old 07 July 2013   #37
With the neck pipe. What I meant was a little clip or whatever to tie each side of the skin. over the pipe itself. The bits where its reaching toward itself over the pipe kinda look like they need something to hold them in place.
If it was just skin it would tend to curl back at the edges, so there should be a reason its sitting the way it is. If you know what I'm worbeling on about. If not feel free to tell me to shush.

Old 07 July 2013   #38
Originally Posted by Pagrin: With the neck pipe. What I meant was a little clip or whatever to tie each side of the skin. over the pipe itself. The bits where its reaching toward itself over the pipe kinda look like they need something to hold them in place.
If it was just skin it would tend to curl back at the edges, so there should be a reason its sitting the way it is. If you know what I'm worbeling on about. If not feel free to tell me to shush.

OH! I thought you were talking about the pipe I had going into the face! And yeah, that is exactly right I'm just trying to decide on what would be best, whether it be a screw, bold, or maybe string, or even the chain could work! Which actually thinking about it now, might look nice. I don't know! Have any suggestions?

And thanks for the feedback, it's always useful

Old 07 July 2013   #39
Arrr opps check pipe. :P
My bad. I thought you were asking about the neck back there.
What about a little butterfly clip like the sort used to hold a bandage in place. IE; just two little metal hooks with a short bit of elastic between them. Although the chain or just string would work just as well. It's a question of how much tech you want to have. The strong works if you are going for a cobbled together look, but the chain seems more designed and built, while the clip is more surgical in nature.

I know you removed the check pipe, but if it sat really close under the ear, and entered the skin more at an angle, you could then have it run under the skin for a bit. Things under a person's skin particularly their face, does tend to creep people out. It pushes one of those buttons we all have about being injured. So again do you want to go with a living face, augmented by a robot, or more of a zombie cyborg kind of thing?

Old 07 July 2013   #40
You make a good case.. I'm going to need to really think about this.. :\ I'll have a go at both in tomorrow and see which ones look better..

I really like your idea about the pipe though! I'll definitely try it out. It shouldn't take long just to bust one out again.. But like I said! I'll sort that out tomorrow. I have a milestone in the morning, for a fully topologized low res mesh and my concepts, so I'm up for a good hour or two at the least doing that.. It's been so long since I had a full nights sleep!

Thanks for the feedback once again

Old 07 July 2013   #41
Grand total of 2 hours sleep last night, but all primary assets have been retopologized in topogun and assembled in maya. moved them into zbrush, and you can really tell the difference in speed. I knocked off a good 15 million polys. In saying that I will be smoothing the new hard surface models, but altogether, there will still be a MASSIVE difference between the 512 resolution dynameshed hard surface, and what they are now, with less then a thousand polys each. As of now it's just the face that's taking the majority of them (A solid 13 million) but this shouldn't matter so much when it's all exported into maps.

Old 07 July 2013   #42
very nice so far. Another idea could be to frazzle out the edges of the skin, so that it looks more damaged and used. Are you planning to texture it as well?

Anna

Old 07 July 2013   #43
Hey Anna! Thanks for the feedback I will get onto that!

Right now I'm doing the skin detail on the face, but I'll definitely try to make the edges of the skin look more organic! Here's an update of how it's going so far

Edit: And sorry, yes!! I am going to texture it It's part of our assignment. And our next module is vray, and I'm pretty sure there's an exercise where we get to learn how to make vray shaders for it.

Last edited by AndrewMcC : 07 July 2013 at 03:03 AM.

Old 07 July 2013   #44
hehe, as said, only ideas if you don't like them, I don't mind You could also make one mechanical, like that the lense of the eye is a camera lense. But this is only another idea as well. But so far it is looking great

Old 07 July 2013   #45
Hey! No ideas are bad ideas Keep them coming! That is interesting actually.. I think you may have given me an idea for the eye! Wait and see! I have special plans for that

Thread Closed share thread