Cyberpunk self portrait!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2013   #1
Cyberpunk self portrait!

Hi everybody!
I heard this place is wonderful for learning and critiquing, so I figured if you guys could help me with a major university project, that'd be awesome!
Okay, so I'm a student at Media Design School in New Zealand and we have a two week summative to do a self portrait in the style of steam/cyber punk. It's just the bust, and I intend on posting my entire progress over the next two weeks on here, and hopefully get some sweet feedback from you guys! Anyway, enough talking, here is the beginning of my project.

I know this isn't exactly 3D, and I apologize if I've selected the wrong forum, but trust me, the concept art will only be a minor part of this. I plan to model it primarily with Zbrush, Maya and retopolgize with topogun. This is just a quick analysis drawing of my face, what I believe to be the muscle and bone structure.

From this I started coming up with concept ideas (see the green) based on what the certain elements of the form offered me. I've already collected a lot of reference of basically anything remotely mechanical related from the internet, but if anyone finds any nice materials/objects that could be used to enhance it, that would be much appreciated! I'm trying my best to get the best research and planning I can.

I know I'm not the best at drawing, but it's the thought that counts!
Enjoy.

Old 07 July 2013   #2
Progress!

So after a morning of mapping out ideas, I narrowed it down to a few concepts, varying levels of mechanical dependancy.

I find the first concept of the three to be the most appealing, although criticism/ideas are welcome! I find it to be a more interesting design, as well as it's potential to be added to. I had thought of making the skin used for the face a bit more decomposed and rotting, as if it had just been attached to the robot as a flawed attempt at disguise, maybe a bit darker and black in areas, darker red veins under the skin, to give a feeling of congealed blood, but we'll see how this pans out.

As a means of beginning the face I pulled a couple of orthographics into zbrush, and had quick go at recreating my skull (I know it's not necessary, but I enjoy the extra practise, plus I've never had a better result then when I know EXACTLY what's going on underneath the skin.) I feel it isn't too bad. Next thing will hopefully be the eyes/nose/mouth/ears.

Old 07 July 2013   #3
Quick Update before sleep.

Just a quick update of what I've done in the last hour or two. I've refined the skull a bit, shrunk down the monster teeth and the superhero jaw, and started a rough sculpt of the main facial features, ie. nose, mouth, and soon to be eyes and ears. Right now, it is time for sleep though.
More on it tomorrow!

Last edited by AndrewMcC : 07 July 2013 at 01:27 AM.

Old 07 July 2013   #4
Mapping out key facial structures

Today I've been sculpting out the base facial structures, and wrapping the face around the skull to help with the shape. Not really looking for a lot of detail, just want to get a mesh to put into topogun for the sake of topology.

It suddenly occurs to me what a weird shaped head I have..

Last edited by AndrewMcC : 07 July 2013 at 07:51 AM. Reason: incorrect image attachment

Old 07 July 2013   #5
This is outstanding work so far Andrew. The head already looks believable and anatomically well structured.
One small tip you might find handy. I notice that some of your robotic aspects are reasonable close to your real skin shape. Around the beck and back of the jaw areas.
So you can use an Eyeliner pencil to have someone draw these details on to your real neck, etc. and take reference images. This in turn should help you plan out those aspects of the build.

Old 07 July 2013   #6
Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagrin
One small tip you might find handy. I notice that some of your robotic aspects are reasonable close to your real skin shape. Around the beck and back of the jaw areas.
So you can use an Eyeliner pencil to have someone draw these details on to your real neck, etc. and take reference images. This in turn should help you plan out those aspects of the build.

That is a fantastic idea! Thanks so much for the helpful feedback
I'll give it a go tomorrow. Unfortunately I don't have a decent camera on hand, but I'm sure my phone camera will just help to give me a rough idea.
Thanks again!

Old 07 July 2013   #7
Refined

Okay, I'll admit, I had a bit of a chilled out evening, just relaxed to a bit of Tom and Jerry (classic, right?) Anyway, not a huge amount of work done, I mainly just refined the shoulders/what can be seen of the torso, and tried to get the shapes right before I run it by the tutor in the morning, and bring it into topogun. G'night all!

Old 07 July 2013   #8
I like the head bust, kinda reminds me of actor Adam Baldwin though...

Old 07 July 2013   #9
Adam Baldwin?

Haha really? okay well fair enough! I'm not sure how I should take that

Old 07 July 2013   #10
No that's a good thing as he is quite the badass but the stern look as well as the features remind me of him, I also believe the trapezius area needs to be more broad

Old 07 July 2013   #11
Feedback

Thanks dude!
And it is done! I've widened up his shoulders and given him a bit more bulk to the upper body, I'll upload an image of that later, but right now I'm giving him a quick retop, half way through. Uploading this before I leave for school.

Old 07 July 2013   #12
Retopologized face

face is 'torn off' and I've spent today getting it as close to perfect as I can via topogun, almost ready to start a bit of machinery

Old 07 July 2013   #13
This is coming along rather nicely. Good job.

Old 07 July 2013   #14
Feedback

Cheers mate!

Old 07 July 2013   #15
Update

So I've spent the day working out how to model hard surface in Zbrush. I know I could have done it in maya without a problem, but hey, you have to learn some time, and when better then under pressure?
Anyway, spent the morning working out the general gist of it, and I've started to make some progress on the robotic elements.

Long way to go!

Thread Closed share thread