CGTalk > WIP > WIP/Critique: 3D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 07-06-2013, 10:06 PM   #16
Deadguy71
portfolio
USA

You're modelling a British "Challenger 2 MBT" (Main Battle Tank).

Here's some pics.. but just putting Challenger 2 into google will find you a lot more.
http://thebrigade.thechive.com/2011...r-28-hq-photos/

Old 07-07-2013, 02:56 AM   #17
tolansky
Frequenter
portfolio
Eduardo
Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadguy71
You're modelling a British "Challenger 2 MBT" (Main Battle Tank).

Here's some pics.. but just putting Challenger 2 into google will find you a lot more.
http://thebrigade.thechive.com/2011...r-28-hq-photos/

WOW ...
thank you friend, now I have good references.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #18
tolansky
Frequenter
portfolio
Eduardo
Brazil

the top is ready, I think. This time put chamfer at all, just do not put the parts used Turbosmooth why not get the mesh was all contorted.
now I'm going to model the wheels what do you think? or should I do the bottom?

Old 07-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #19
tolansky
Frequenter
portfolio
Eduardo
Brazil

here in my reference has some details on top but I can not see searched multiple images of the same tank and seems to be smooth on top with few details that most had only seen this box seems to be some sort of periscope or sights.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:00 AM   #20
Deadguy71
portfolio
USA

It's a sight, and it looks most like what appears in your front view blueprint.. It's a box with a door in the front which opens to reveal a darkened glass shield over a camera lens. That box is on what appears to be a pivoting joint, and the rectangular box below it is actually a bumped-up area with a glass panel on it, permitting someone to look out of the tank if they push their head against the "roof" in there.

Picture #14 at that link I gave you, gives a pretty good idea of the geometry up there.

Last edited by Deadguy71 : 07-08-2013 at 04:06 AM.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #21
tolansky
Frequenter
portfolio
Eduardo
Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadguy71
It's a sight, and it looks most like what appears in your front view blueprint.. It's a box with a door in the front which opens to reveal a darkened glass shield over a camera lens. That box is on what appears to be a pivoting joint, and the rectangular box below it is actually a bumped-up area with a glass panel on it, permitting someone to look out of the tank if they push their head against the "roof" in there.

Picture #14 at that link I gave you, gives a pretty good idea of the geometry up there.

HMMM ... I'll take a look thanks.
I'm packing

Last edited by tolansky : 07-08-2013 at 06:56 PM.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #22
Kangal
Rhino automotive modeler

portfolio
Mario Rossi
Italy

It's clear u're talented being this your first model, but there are still some technical issues.
Remember what i've said about chamfering , gaps and intersections since your model so far looks like it's done in Sketch Up. Take advantage of what Max can do for you .
I'll follow this, best of luck

Old 07-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #23
stinkles
PRO
portfolio
jeff grigsby
none
Venus%2BFlorida, United%2BStates

wires

I would love to see some wires. Surfaces seem too regular. If the edgeloops are available, I would warp large flat exapnsesof the tank metal to give it imperfections and such. This can easily be done in mudbox, or you can you the paint vertex or push pull verts with a soft selection to achieve this in MAx.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #24
tolansky
Frequenter
portfolio
Eduardo
Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangal
It's clear u're talented being this your first model, but there are still some technical issues.
Remember what i've said about chamfering , gaps and intersections since your model so far looks like it's done in Sketch Up. Take advantage of what Max can do for you .
I'll follow this, best of luck

thank you friend. Well I'm not trying to put everything just notching bevel objects Turbosmooth (should I put? Can put?)
HAHAHA ... SkethUP I laughed (no offense to anyone who uses)

Old 07-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #25
tolansky
Frequenter
portfolio
Eduardo
Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkles
I would love to see some wires. Surfaces seem too regular. If the edgeloops are available, I would warp large flat exapnsesof the tank metal to give it imperfections and such. This can easily be done in mudbox, or you can you the paint vertex or push pull verts with a soft selection to achieve this in MAx.

great observation friend, but I have no tablet to use Mudbox (I think it looks a little complicated in this case) will be making these imperfections and details of wires even in MAX.
thanks for the tip and for the comment.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:45 PM   #26
tolansky
Frequenter
portfolio
Eduardo
Brazil

Now I was a little lost when you say to put in all you cant say not to use Turbosmooth but normal objects and cant them?

Old 07-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #27
tolansky
Frequenter
portfolio
Eduardo
Brazil

I think now I understand What do you mean

Old 07-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #28
ACantarel
Helicopter-Guy

portfolio
Andre Cantarel
CG Model Supervisor
santa Monica, USA

Good amount of detailing so far!
But a first thing I noticed right away was that overall proportions between the parts seem to be off a bit.

have a look at this for example:

Look at that super thin strut that is suppose to support that big angled one. Double check if that is really that thin. I noticed those kinda things on a lot of your images.

Also here the barrel of the .50 cal seems to be way too long and the gun itself seems to be too small. It looks like you're matching the .50 cal to the smaller machine gun of the blueprint.
Also look at the flat rectangle panel on the side of the turret. It needs some additional edge loops to stop the normal smoothing reaching that far into the surface.

Try to avoid pictures like these as they don't show much of the model for review purposes:

I would put some ambient occlusion onto the images which makes the model easier to read.

So overall double check proportions of all the parts and pieces. Otherwise all the effort results in an odd looking model and it would be a not-so-good investment of your time.

You clearly have a dedication to high detail which I love! Now just get the proportions right and you're going to end up with an awesome model

Cheers!
Andre

Old 07-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #29
tolansky
Frequenter
portfolio
Eduardo
Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACantarel
Good amount of detailing so far!
But a first thing I noticed right away was that overall proportions between the parts seem to be off a bit.

have a look at this for example:

Look at that super thin strut that is suppose to support that big angled one. Double check if that is really that thin. I noticed those kinda things on a lot of your images.

Also here the barrel of the .50 cal seems to be way too long and the gun itself seems to be too small. It looks like you're matching the .50 cal to the smaller machine gun of the blueprint.
Also look at the flat rectangle panel on the side of the turret. It needs some additional edge loops to stop the normal smoothing reaching that far into the surface.

Try to avoid pictures like these as they don't show much of the model for review purposes:

I would put some ambient occlusion onto the images which makes the model easier to read.

So overall double check proportions of all the parts and pieces. Otherwise all the effort results in an odd looking model and it would be a not-so-good investment of your time.

You clearly have a dedication to high detail which I love! Now just get the proportions right and you're going to end up with an awesome model

Cheers!
Andre

thank you for comment and give tips are helping me a lot. I'm already changing

Old 07-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #30
tolansky
Frequenter
portfolio
Eduardo
Brazil

thanks to all who are helping me and spending all this knowledge, it is very important to me. I'm putting a lot because I have a dream that is working in visual effects, animation and modeling films. Here in Brazil is very difficult because there are few such jobs and what I can do is devote myself body and soul to try some chance abroad.

Last edited by tolansky : 07-09-2013 at 09:27 PM.

Thread Closed share thread