Old 07-05-2013, 12:08 AM   #1
tolansky
Frequenter
portfolio
Eduardo
Brazil

trying to model a tank (help)

Hello friends of the CG,
I was trying to model a jet, had many difficulties in modeling it so many friends here CG recommended me to do modeling of objects to go learning more basic modeling techniques.
I am modeling a tank war (I concidero easier than a jet because it is rectangular) then got the weapons.
(sorry my english)
This is an MG-M2 that goes on top of the tank.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:55 AM   #2
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Hey man,

This looks really good! The chains do look a little small though. I had a look at some photos of the real thing, and the chains are several times thicker than what you've got.

Did you line up your model to any reference image? It looks pretty close to the real thing, but its hard to judge with the perspective in your images. For future updates, it does help to move your camera further away, and lower your field of view. I'm looking forward to seeing more!

-AJ

Old 07-05-2013, 03:25 AM   #3
Kangal
Rhino automotive modeler

portfolio
Mario Rossi
Italy

I think u should define as first instance the main shape of the tank, then go for details like that.
So, body + tracks, which if u want to do them correctly they're not so easy. Then, go for details like the one u've modeled, where the chamfers are too thin anyway.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:39 AM   #4
tolansky
Frequenter
portfolio
Eduardo
Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1
Hey man,

This looks really good! The chains do look a little small though. I had a look at some photos of the real thing, and the chains are several times thicker than what you've got.

Did you line up your model to any reference image? It looks pretty close to the real thing, but its hard to judge with the perspective in your images. For future updates, it does help to move your camera further away, and lower your field of view. I'm looking forward to seeing more!

-AJ

thank you for commenting.
So this model of gun I have reference in the plan. I made this model looking at pictures from the internet even.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:41 AM   #5
tolansky
Frequenter
portfolio
Eduardo
Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangal
I think u should define as first instance the main shape of the tank, then go for details like that.
So, body + tracks, which if u want to do them correctly they're not so easy. Then, go for details like the one u've modeled, where the chamfers are too thin anyway.

thank you for commenting.
I'll be modeling the body of the tank itself, from now on I will take this concept forever. Thank you! : D

Old 07-05-2013, 04:55 AM   #6
tolansky
Frequenter
portfolio
Eduardo
Brazil

here is the tank with the reference images. I'm using just to know the dimensions that can not see the details, I believe that I should get some details on the internet real tanks.
do not know why I came up with this black part.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
Kangal
Rhino automotive modeler

portfolio
Mario Rossi
Italy

Hi.
Let me say i really like as u approach CG, u're very humile and always try to follow suggestions and tips. U've understood what i meant , just i'll leave apart at the moment the gun, and i'd try to focus the efforts on the main shape only . Once everything will be correct and proportionate, let's go with details
Keep on !

Old 07-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #8
tolansky
Frequenter
portfolio
Eduardo
Brazil

Quote:
Hi.
Let me say i really like as u approach CG, u're very humile and always try to follow suggestions and tips. U've understood what i meant , just i'll leave apart at the moment the gun, and i'd try to focus the efforts on the main shape only . Once everything will be correct and proportionate, let's go with details
Keep on !

thank you!
be continuing today and posting. : D

Old 07-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #9
tolansky
Frequenter
portfolio
Eduardo
Brazil

hello friends,
I am continuing to modeling my tank, but today when I open the file gave this error.
someone please help me?
will I lost my job?

sorry ...
I've managed to solve, thought I had lost my job

Last edited by tolansky : 07-06-2013 at 03:37 PM.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #10
Telemachus
Expert

portfolio
Mo Ali
n/a
Birmingham, United Kingdom

The file may be corrupt. Try searching your computer for files named "autoback" which are the backup files 3ds creates at regular intervals. These are usually found at "C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\3dsMax\autoback\". Otherwise, create a new scene and try merging your corrupt file with it to see if you can salvage any objects.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #11
tolansky
Frequenter
portfolio
Eduardo
Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemachus
The file may be corrupt. Try searching your computer for files named "autoback" which are the backup files 3ds creates at regular intervals. These are usually found at "C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\3dsMax\autoback\". Otherwise, create a new scene and try merging your corrupt file with it to see if you can salvage any objects.

thank you friend was exactly what I did ... HAHA

thank you again.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #12
tolansky
Frequenter
portfolio
Eduardo
Brazil

continuing the modeling of the tank.
still missing some details on the top, took some parts from other tanks, is that I do not know the name of this tank and am also not finding the same models so I'm taking the other himself.

Thanks to all who are helping me, not only in modeling at all.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #13
Kangal
Rhino automotive modeler

portfolio
Mario Rossi
Italy

Good progress mate. Pay attention to the chamfers, be sure to chamfer everything, the littlest detail even, and try to make them bigger. Also, look at the intersections, u should delete any invisible geometry and to get a gap between intersecting geometry, chamfering the resulting parts. I know it's quite boring but u'll be glad of the final result
Good luck mate !

Cheers

Old 07-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #14
tolansky
Frequenter
portfolio
Eduardo
Brazil

Quote:
Good progress mate. Pay attention to the chamfers, be sure to chamfer everything, the littlest detail even, and try to make them bigger. Also, look at the intersections, u should delete any invisible geometry and to get a gap between intersecting geometry, chamfering the resulting parts. I know it's quite boring but u'll be glad of the final result
Good luck mate !

Cheers

well, thanks for help and give these tips.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #15
tolansky
Frequenter
portfolio
Eduardo
Brazil

will be a weapon that would be cool futuristic tank? a weapon laser for example I have a very nice model
was looking in the tanks here and saw that some have 2 weapons ... some others do not have some boxes in place of the second weapon.

Thread Closed share thread