Cyberstone WIP

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
Cyberstone WIP

Hi all.
I'm new to this forum, so if I'm posting in the wrong place, please let me know.
I've been tinkering with a large project for some time now. It's an 40-50 minute Cyberpunk story, about four members of a biker gang hired to do a simple mail job.
It's a very big project which at the moment has an effective zero budget. I've some friends who are helping by providing voices, music etc. But for the large part the Visual elements are all being done by me.
At the moment I'm just working to get a per-visualization animation done of the whole story. Then the intent is to go back and replace shots with final renders. Along the way I'm slowly building up the mesh assets etc to replace the simple or otherwise temp meshes
I was going to post an image but I can't seem to work out how at this point so I'll point you to the facebook page if you want to see more.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cybe...508502465857189

I'm always happy for comments good or bad about my work. My ego is big and grunty enough to handle itself so don't feel you have to be nice to the new guy. Just be honest, that's more useful to me in the long run.

I'm also looking for people to help out. I cant offer payment as such, but I'll always give full screen credit for any work contributed, and a free copy of the movie when it's done. Also I can offer product placement advertising in the movie if you'd like. Just drop me a line.

07 July 2013
OK. So now I can post images. Here is the logo I mentioned.
I also got the first of my principal character concept pictures today, so I'll be able to start the build on one of the final meshes finally.

As always comments good or bad are welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Logo_Temp_small.jpg (70.2 KB, 32 views)

07 July 2013
I've recently gotten the character art I need to finish one of the Principal characters.
Bob is the heavily cyberized team member. But his gear is old and mis-matched. Some of it wasn't even designed to be for humans, but rather construction bot bit refitted to work as cyberlimbs. Umm Bob is not a pretty man.
As organic modelling isn't my forte, I thought I'd start with the hard modeling bits. In this case his right foot.
There is still a little tweaking here and there to go before I move onto the more organic parts of Bob, but I thought I post a WIP so get a few opinions on what I have so far.

07 July 2013
Latest update.
My intent is to get the mesh done then take the figure into Zbrush and add a few details. However as I am yet to do anything in Zbrush I will have to cross that bridge when I get there.
In the mean time, Bob now has his other foot, and I'll be progressing to the legs next.
As always comments and criticisms are welcome.

07 July 2013
So now he has a leg to stand on.
Also I've added some simple color to help block out the textures for later. These will be unwrapped and painted properly once the mesh is finished.

07 July 2013
I think what you've got so far is fine. However, I'd recommend blocking out the entire character first, before going in and refining the shape/adding details. This means you can ensure you have the the right proportions/topology before going into deep with the detailing. This will save a lot of time later if you run into problems that need fixed and in general is a lot more efficient.

I'm a big sci fi fan so looking forward to see how this turns out.

07 July 2013
Thanks Ishimarushou. I'm working to concept art which is helping a great deal with keep proportions in line etc.
But as I'm not very good at organic modeling its a bit of slow process. So any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
Also being a rather a-symmetrical character, there isn't much of Bob where I can "cheat" and build half and mirror the rest.
The color blocking is easy for me to add as I go, as it helps keep parts easy to select.

As you are a sci-fi fan please feel free to comment on any and all aspects of the project. Because you are my target audience.

07 July 2013
Could you show us your concept art so we can see what you're trying to achieve for the character, which will allow us to to provide a more insight critique?

07 July 2013
I'm not sure how well the Concept will appear I had to reduce it a lot for the upload, but here you go. The left arm has already been designed and built, hence the one in the concept looking so basic.
There is also more images which can be seen on the facebook page.

Also the latest WIP of Bob looking slightly more hip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bob_Wip_5.jpg (70.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Cyberston Character Sheet - Bob_Body_Small.jpg (83.0 KB, 11 views)

07 July 2013
Now that Bob is abreast of the situation I've installed his left arm which was designed some time ago. Next up the right arms needs to be shouldered into shape
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bob_Wip_6.jpg (88.5 KB, 13 views)

07 July 2013
Now that's was handy.
Not wanting to get ahead of myself, but guess what's next?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bob_Wip_7.jpg (79.5 KB, 11 views)

08 August 2013
Bob is having to face up to the fact that building his head is not easy. But at least I'm making some progress. As always advice and feedback is very welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bob_Wip_8.jpg (35.8 KB, 8 views)

08 August 2013
So I restarted the head.
I wasn't happy with the last attempt, so I got a head from a poser figure. Cut it in half, reduced the poly count to about 25% mirrored the new head, to get a symmetrical mesh, which I then started to alter and tweek to fit my artwork.
Basically using the original as a way to get the geometry right for a basic human head. It's a cheat yes, but it's produced a much better result.
I still have a little more tweeking to do, then I have to add eyes, and change the left ear to a cyber ear, then unwrap and paint it.
As always comments are welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bob_Wip_10.jpg (33.0 KB, 3 views)

08 August 2013
I wouldnt say it's cheating, it's just one of the ways to get result, a cheap way, but still a legit way
keep working

08 August 2013
Thanks KilleroyCZ. I guess it's a matter of whatever gets me over the line, but it has shown me my current limits for organic modelling.
Still at least I know where to practice.

Here's another update. Bob now has a mirror for his soul. as well as a broken nose, pony tail, goatie, and cyber ear.
The hair parts are just place holders however, until I've done the rest of the mesh.

As always comments good ro bad are welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bob_Wip_11.jpg (38.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Bob_Wip_12.jpg (78.8 KB, 3 views)

Thread Closed share thread