Old 06-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

New Mexican Landscape

This is pretty close to being done, but I'd very much appreciate feedback for any final tweaks.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
Telemachus
Expert

portfolio
Mo Ali
n/a
Birmingham, United Kingdom

I think it looks great, only I would expect somewhat harsher, stronger lighting and crisper shadows, for example on the wooden texture of the post and on the distant mountain. If possible, perhaps a little rippling "heat haze" in the distance would look good.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

Thanks for your feedback. I messed around in post to increase the contrast; I may actually rerender it later. As for the heat haze; the area I'm trying to get the feel of is ~8000 feet above sea level, so it generally doesn't actually get that hot.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
Telemachus
Expert

portfolio
Mo Ali
n/a
Birmingham, United Kingdom

OK fair enough about the haze thing. I didn't realize the elevation was that much. Looks like an improvement. The higher up you go the harsher the light would become, I reckon.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Hey man,

I'm not sure the prickly pears will grow at that elevation. The joint between the plates also look like they were melted together. The bottom of the plate will widen out, and the joint should be circular. The plates should also be way thinner.

Your cloud background image has some haze in it, and it would help to add a bit to your scenery. The clouds seem to be lit more from the front, while your 3D seems side lit.

-AJ

Old 06-25-2013, 02:37 AM   #6
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

Thanks for the feedback, AJ1. Prickly pears grow at up to 10,000 feet, so that's not an issue, and in any case I'm more sure about the prickly pears being there than I am about the exact elevation (I just now it's substantially higher than Albuquerque, which is 5,000 feet). You're write about their sculpting, though, and I adjusted that as best as I quickly could. I also found a new skyplate that fits the lighting a bit better (probably wasn't a good idea to get attached to a certain light setup before finding a skylplate). Finally, I decided in the latest version the mountaintop and the pole where competing too much for attention, so I tweaked the curves to push the mountain back a touch.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:37 AM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread