CGTalk > Work in Progress and Critique > WIP/Critique: 3D
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 06-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #1
FloodMonkey

portfolio
Ethan Marshall
North Vernon, USA

Exclamation Interior WIP (help with lighting)

So basically I've been working on my own little living room scene and I'm having a really hard time with the lighting. I've given everything a plain vray material except for the windows and the light bulbs which are a glass material. The weird blotching on the wall is not looking natural in any sense. Currently the only lights in the scene are a vray dome light for the hdri lighting, and the vray sphere lights for the light bulb. also some rectangular lights that are in the entertainment center. Some help on this would be much appreciated. I'm putting a screenshot of the blotching and my render settings.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
Kev3D
Agent

portfolio
Kevin Russell
3D Artist
Kevisual
London, GB

Send a message via MSN to Kev3D
First off you want to make sure that the glass isn't affecting the lights in any way, turn cast shadows, affect GI etc. off or alternatively un-link the bulbs to the lights.

For consistent and accurate results, brute force is the way to go. The univeral VRay settings are handy for getting most of the way there (if you're okay with reletively long render times).

Old 06-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
FloodMonkey

portfolio
Ethan Marshall
North Vernon, USA

Thanks for the reply I seemed to have fixed it, it was fixed either by me turning the light cache subdivisions up a huge amount and sample size down a lot or because I disabled my vray dome. I'm re-enabling the dome since I'm pretty sure it was the divisions that fixed it up. I'll prob take your advise and use brute force in the end and see what I can get away with. still need to up the gamma but here's a screenshot after I woke up this morning.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
FloodMonkey

portfolio
Ethan Marshall
North Vernon, USA

Interior WIP

Well here's what I rendered out overnight after I reassigned all materials to everything. Gonna prob put some very low lights outside the windows to brighten it up a bit more and then work on making some props. A painting or two, some books, cds, dvds, vase, etc. Give me some of your thoughts please.

Also, anyone know about the slight grain that is in the render? I don't mind it a whole lot and think it looks kinda nice but might be a bit too much so would like to tone it down slightly. I'm using brute force/light cache in this render.

Last edited by FloodMonkey : 06-14-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
FloodMonkey

portfolio
Ethan Marshall
North Vernon, USA

Finally got some more free time to work on it. Calling it quits now since its in a good spot. More things I can think to do with it but anxious to put it aside and get working on something else. Probably come back to it later and improve in some areas.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread