LOW POLY Aaliyah...Superhero in progress

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
LOW POLY Aaliyah...Superhero in progress

Hi everyone,

Right now I'm in the progress modeling the low poly base mesh for my character. So far, I only have done the head. I'm going to finish up with modeling the base mesh(entire body) in 3Ds max and then put this in Mudbox to add details. I need feedback on how to make this look better . Below you will find my reference pictures and also renders of my 3d model:

Last edited by MissOptimist : 06 June 2013 at 05:35 PM.

06 June 2013
I took the 3d renders and put them in Photoshop. I wanted to see how the 3d models would look like with eyebrows, lashes and hair. So I drew over the 3d renders:

Please I need constructive criticisms. If any of you guys want to draw out some mark ups for me, feel free to save my renders and mark them up to your heart's content

Last edited by MissOptimist : 06 June 2013 at 05:03 PM.

06 June 2013
It always helps to see wireframes of model

06 June 2013
Here is the wireframe:

Any constructive criticism will be helpful

06 June 2013
I think the topology is somewhat there but at the moment the model doesn't really look like her but where you have the topology wrapped around the mouth you could wrap it over the nose, and pull the lips out more, also going by the perspective view the back of the head looks strange.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

...This may/may not make sense but this is how I'd change the topology.

06 June 2013
It looks like you have added a triangle there in the new topology. Is it ok to include triangles? Also can you please elaborate on how I can make the model look more like her? Thanks

I will pull out the lips and fix the back head and post an update

Last edited by MissOptimist : 06 June 2013 at 05:00 PM.

06 June 2013
Sorry no, it looks like it in the perspective view but avoid at all costs (on any surface that isn't flat anyways) but the mouth topology that you have should loop around the nose I think. This is just a rough idea

06 June 2013
Hello,

I made the lips stick out more, fixed the back head, and the topology:

I really need to make this base mesh look like the basic shape of Aaliyah as much as possible, so any constructive, descriptive criticism and feedback much appreciated

This was the head topology I was using as a guide while I was fixing the model

Last edited by MissOptimist : 06 June 2013 at 10:37 PM.

06 June 2013
Hello!

She is really looking good with the new lips! The eyes need work; try adding more geometry on the upper lid, and bringing up and in the bottom outer corners. Her dome should be a bit higher and rounder. I think her jaw line would be higher in relation to her lips, and her nose is just a little off. Revisit the ala, apex and nostril.

Also in placing the iris she seems to have Sanpaku eyes with the white showing at the bottom

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by l3ear: Hello!

She is really looking good with the new lips! The eyes need work; try adding more geometry on the upper lid, and bringing up and in the bottom outer corners. Her dome should be a bit higher and rounder. I think her jaw line would be higher in relation to her lips, and her nose is just a little off. Revisit the ala, apex and nostril.

Also in placing the iris she seems to have Sanpaku eyes with the white showing at the bottom

hi there!
what do you mean by dome?
Also are you saying that I made her have Sanpaku eyes or that I need to make her have Sanpaku eyes?

it would be extremely helpful if you can take my render and mark it up too. I hope I am not taking too much of your time

06 June 2013
Dome= head (sorry for the slang)

it looks to me like she has Sanpaku eyes, not the model.

You are not taking up a whole lot but I should probably be sleeping lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cgtalk.jpg (47.0 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by l3ear : 06 June 2013 at 08:29 AM.

06 June 2013
Thanks a whole lot for the markup, they are helping me a lot! I fixed the eyes to make them look Sanpaku, made the head rounder, jawline a bit higher and worked on the nose:

06 June 2013
Definitely like the changes and the topology looks better (especially in the eyes), I did have an idea on a modification on topology here but if you choose to keep it how it is now I would suggest not making your polygons so straight.

06 June 2013
thanks for the mark up. What do you mean by round out the head polygons??

Thread Closed share thread