CGTalk > Work in Progress and Critique > WIP/Critique: 3D
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 06-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
Koivi
PRO

portfolio
Koivi Tasker
Australia

Red face My first Lamborghini

Been transferring my blender skills to Maya since 2012. I still think I need allot to learn in 3D software and so I've decided to share with you guys on what I've done so far on my Lamborghini. I've been working on it since the 18th of May.

[IMG]D:\Documents\maya\2013\OZ_rim\images\Aventador progress\23.png[/IMG]

Old 06-03-2013, 11:32 PM   #2
Artdigital
3d Enthusiast
portfolio
Danny Robinson
London, United Kingdom

Image not showing, you need to upload images to a site such as imageshack and copy the embedded link, look to me like the extension you're using is from your computer desktop.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:32 AM   #3
Koivi
PRO

portfolio
Koivi Tasker
Australia

Much abliged

Old 06-04-2013, 01:34 AM   #4
Koivi
PRO

portfolio
Koivi Tasker
Australia

[IMG]Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Old 06-04-2013, 06:54 AM   #5
Koivi
PRO

portfolio
Koivi Tasker
Australia

also is it ok if I don't combine all the objects?

Old 06-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
Artdigital
3d Enthusiast
portfolio
Danny Robinson
London, United Kingdom

I would be easier to see this without edge faces showing to see the contours better...

Old 06-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #7
Mr-Evil-studio
Expert

portfolio
simy soares
Mr.Evil-studio
New York, USA

Send a message via MSN to Mr-Evil-studio
great modelling right now

Old 06-05-2013, 12:12 AM   #8
Koivi
PRO

portfolio
Koivi Tasker
Australia

Half the entire model is an instance. Some bit's are not entirely accurate either.

[IMG]

Old 06-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
Artdigital
3d Enthusiast
portfolio
Danny Robinson
London, United Kingdom

Looking good!
I can see a line in the windshield, I know the Aventador bonnet is risen and a sharp edge going through the centre so you may want to model the windshield separately, also (a minor thing) the roof top does indent which you have but at the front endpoint it levels out.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 06-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #10
Koivi
PRO

portfolio
Koivi Tasker
Australia

Indeed is does. Infact half the entire model is an instance. If you have an easier method of mirroring the model then I'd be glad to hear it. I've set it up this way so I don't have to work on both sides. I'll merge it together before I start setting up the shaders.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #11
Tushkan
PRO
Sergey Kleimenichev
Minsk, Belarus

When I model something and I need to see a merged model, I usually do this:
1. make a mesh (let's name it pMesh1) and center it out in the origin (centering is not necessary however).
2. Duplicate is as an instance and change instance's scale.x to -1 (to mirror it in YZ-plane).
3. Combine both instances in one shape.

Now, what Combine basically does is it creates a new mesh (let's name it pResult) and hides both models which form a new mesh. But it doesn't only hide their transform nodes (pMesh1 and pMesh2), it also sets the pMesh1Shape's "intermediate Object" attribute to 1. It's important to know this.

4. Merge vertices (I use this tool on the entire mesh, not just individual vertices) of pResult with merge distance equal to 0.
5. Create a layer containing pResult and switch it to a Reference mode (so I can't accidentally select the result shape and edit it).
6. Select pMesh1 and change it's visibility to 1.
7. Select pMesh1Shape and change it's "intermediate Object" attribute to 0 (you can find it in an "Object Display" section in an Attribute editor. Make sure you select a shape, not it's transform node!)

Now if I edit the pMesh1, I can see how it affects both sides of the pResult. I can even clear pMesh1's history - it won't break the connection between pMesh1 and pResult.

Important notes:
1. All seam vertices must be exactly in YZ plane (their tx-value must be 0) or they won't be merged (because merge distance was set to 0). You also can make any other merge distance value to fix broken seams, but there is a risk of merging some thin creases in your model.
2. When you start adding new polygons for your pMesh1 (extrude or cut), some pResult's polygons may suddenly disappear. To fix this, simply reassign a material to pResult (to the whole mesh, not to the individual polygons).

Hope this helps. =)

Last edited by Tushkan : 06-06-2013 at 11:15 AM.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #12
Artdigital
3d Enthusiast
portfolio
Danny Robinson
London, United Kingdom

I'm working the same way with my model of the 1989 Tim Burton Batmobile, which helps me also.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #13
Koivi
PRO

portfolio
Koivi Tasker
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushkan
When I model something and I need to see a merged model, I usually do this:
1. make a mesh (let's name it pMesh1) and center it out in the origin (centering is not necessary however).
2. Duplicate is as an instance and change instance's scale.x to -1 (to mirror it in YZ-plane).
3. Combine both instances in one shape.

Now, what Combine basically does is it creates a new mesh (let's name it pResult) and hides both models which form a new mesh. But it doesn't only hide their transform nodes (pMesh1 and pMesh2), it also sets the pMesh1Shape's "intermediate Object" attribute to 1. It's important to know this.

4. Merge vertices (I use this tool on the entire mesh, not just individual vertices) of pResult with merge distance equal to 0.
5. Create a layer containing pResult and switch it to a Reference mode (so I can't accidentally select the result shape and edit it).
6. Select pMesh1 and change it's visibility to 1.
7. Select pMesh1Shape and change it's "intermediate Object" attribute to 0 (you can find it in an "Object Display" section in an Attribute editor. Make sure you select a shape, not it's transform node!)

Now if I edit the pMesh1, I can see how it affects both sides of the pResult. I can even clear pMesh1's history - it won't break the connection between pMesh1 and pResult.

Important notes:
1. All seam vertices must be exactly in YZ plane (their tx-value must be 0) or they won't be merged (because merge distance was set to 0). You also can make any other merge distance value to fix broken seams, but there is a risk of merging some thin creases in your model.
2. When you start adding new polygons for your pMesh1 (extrude or cut), some pResult's polygons may suddenly disappear. To fix this, simply reassign a material to pResult (to the whole mesh, not to the individual polygons).

Hope this helps. =)

would I have to cut the model in half first?

Old 06-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #14
Koivi
PRO

portfolio
Koivi Tasker
Australia

Been pndering for awhile on how I'm gonna do the vent pieces and I think I found out how using the "duplicate special," combine the objects and vertices then lastly use the "latice deformer."

Old 06-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #15
Koivi
PRO

portfolio
Koivi Tasker
Australia

I've placed the vent piece only thing is that it seem's to buff up my tri count. It's currently at 3.4k :/ Dunno if it's fine having an insanely high poly count for an animation. it'll probly end up being a still.

Thread Closed share thread