Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 05-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
executioner1939
Veteran
portfolio
Richard Peters
Cape Town, South Africa

Smile Venator Republic Star Cruiser - All Hail the Grand Army of the Republic!!

Hey guys I am back!!

After a few months of being away, working on anatomy stuff and trying to get better, I decided to give it a break and go back to some hard surface work which I love . Being a massive Star Wars nerd, I decided to challenge myself by taking on a seemingly gargantuan project, the Venator Republic Cruiser from 'Revenge of the Sith'.

I have done quite abit of Hard Surface work in the past, images below for those that are interested, and am fairly confident that I will be able to finish this project to a somewhat detailed level and I hope to get some awesome constructive feedback from the amazing modelers and artists on this forum

Short Venator History

"The Venator-class Star Destroyer, also known as the Venator-class Destroyer, Republic attack cruiser, and later Imperial attack cruiser, was one of the capital ships used extensively by the Galactic Republic during the later parts of the Clone Wars, as well as by the Galactic Empire. It was designed and constructed by Kuat Drive Yards and Allanteen Six shipyards."

Source:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Venator-class_Star_Destroyer

Old Work - Soz for the bad render quality, they are just test renders.

And Now for the Venator - Current WIP

There are a lot of problems at the moment, and I have just started so haven't finished too much. And I am definitely no FractalSponge either, I do hope to add alot more detials though.

Thanks for taking the time to have a look

Happy Modeling

Old 06-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
executioner1939
Veteran
portfolio
Richard Peters
Cape Town, South Africa

Hey Guys

Just a small update

I have been working on the bottom of the ship over the last few days, haven't done too much in terms of detailing but did start detailing the one docking bay and cut in the main panels on the Hull

Old 06-05-2013, 02:17 AM   #3
executioner1939
Veteran
portfolio
Richard Peters
Cape Town, South Africa

Hey Guys

Some more updates, mainly did some work underneath the ship in the docking bay as well as the one part directly behind it, ass well as some more work near the engines. I want to add more detail and change some parts of my engines tomorrow but right now it is time for some rest xD.

I also really need some help with Lighting :(, I wanted to light my scene with a Vray Sun, which I have done, but am now unable to effectively light any other part of my scene with just normal Vray lights, I am a real noob with lighting and if any more info regarding this is required in order for someone to help me I shall provide it .

Here are my latest test renders with the updates.

Thanks for taking the time to have a look .

Old 06-12-2013, 12:47 AM   #4
executioner1939
Veteran
portfolio
Richard Peters
Cape Town, South Africa

Hey Guys

I am back again with a small update

I have completely changed the end of the main four Ion Thrusters and also added the base model for the Bridge/Coning Tower/Control Spire as well started detailing that large protrusion in between the engine arrays.

I also took the time to place lots of tiny little details all over the decks to try break up the paneling abit. I still have so much work to do on this model that it isn't even funny, but am really excited about it

I really feel like it is coming along quite nicely thus far, and would be interested if anyone has any comments regarding my progress at the moment

Anyway I am off to get some sleep now :/.

Here are my latest model renders:

You can right click and select view the images for higher resolution versions .

Old 06-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #5
Grubber
Frequenter

portfolio
Povilas Selila
Editor
VTeX
Vilnius, LT

Amazing work man!
Just do not stop.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
xeunox1
portfolio
Pieter Swart
private
Cape town, South Africa

super cool lookin model

exceptional work. i agree with grubber...DONT STOP. how about some nice close up shots of those turrets or other components that you've already completed. you may even add some secondary light sources at the bottom of the ship to illuminate that area and present it better

Old 06-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #7
executioner1939
Veteran
portfolio
Richard Peters
Cape Town, South Africa

@Grubber - Hey Man, Thanks so much for the kind words, I do plan on working on this until it is done. I am having loads of fun finally working on one of my favorite Star Wars cruisers

@xeunox1 - Thanks for the kind words!I do plan on adding lots more light around the ship to show off some of the details abit more and will also do some more renders of the guns in the future

I have a new update today, worked on and finished two buildings that will form part of the greebling that goes in the trench on these ships. For those that don't know, I am talking about the detailed strip between the two decks.

I wanted to build the one gun room from the drive-by scene in RoTS and aso come escape pods, I can't over detial them becasue I will need to make at least 20 different structures and copy them all the way down the trench and that will just lead to huge amount of polygons.

Anyways here is the latest render, hope you guys like it.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:53 AM   #8
executioner1939
Veteran
portfolio
Richard Peters
Cape Town, South Africa

Hey Guys, me again .

Here is another update of my Republic Cruiser, decided to start detailing the bridge superstructure, still days and days more work ahead of me. I just really hope it all looks okay, I must still do alot of detailing around the base of the bridge, and well, everywhere. I am unfortunately no I.L.M though.

Anyway here is the latest render

Old 01-12-2014, 05:59 PM   #9
executioner1939
Veteran
portfolio
Richard Peters
Cape Town, South Africa

Hey guys

Just want to add some more images of this project to my thread, I know it hasn't been updated in eons, the reason for that is because I have had to put a pause on this beast and focus on improving my Archvis skills so as to get a job one day :/.

Anyway here are three more renders showing off some of my progress that wasn't documented in previous posts. I apologize for the poor render quality chaps, I was just quickly punching these out. You will see all sorts of places on the model that are not finished or completed.

Feel free to leave some comments and crits if you wish .

And a belated Happy New Year to all! May it be filled with nothing more than success and happiness

Old 01-12-2014, 10:32 PM   #10
PKD
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Kiadaw Phua
Hobbyist not Hobbit
Germany

looking good. Keep it up.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:32 PM   #11
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread