WIP of the Mobile Suit Einhauen Kämpfer Custom

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
WIP of the Mobile Suit Einhauen Kämpfer Custom

Hi Everyone,
This is where I'm going to track my progress on my current project, the MS-18E Kampfer.

Quote: The "E" in the MS-18E Kämpfer's model number was an abbreviation for the German word "einhauen," which translates to "one strike." "One strike" summed up the Kämpfers role in combat as a fast assaul unit. It was meant to strike quickly, cause massive damage with its varied weapons loadout, and make a fast escape. The Kämpfer was a very focused design, never intended to work outside of its created role. Within this role it was an exceptional unit, rivaling the Federation RX series in firepower and speed. The unit was covered with thrusters and verniers to give it high maneuverability.- Referenced Wiki

When I saw this iteration of the MS-18E Kampfer Custom, (that's what I'm calling it) I had to model it.

A custom resin re-skined model, the original modeler is a guy that goes by the alias of LittleBoy. Not sure who he is IRL(I don't know Japanese) but I'm amazed by his work and I love his version. Here is a link to his work and my source of references.

The process of modeling strictly from reference images without orthographical views means this will take a lot longer for me to model. The roughing out process significantly longer as I've mainly just picked a piece, modeled some and moved to something else. I think ultimately this project will help me strengthen my eye and help me see more. I would say 90% of an artist efforts are spent in observation, if not more

I'm looking for critiques as I progress. Atm I'm still blocking out/ focusing on the feet and working my way up.
High Res wires
Thanks for looking!

Last edited by IRAFK : 05 May 2013 at 07:58 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #2
A friend over at polycount was able to share some instructions from a MS-18e kit and that solved my proportion issues. Yay! I didn't have much time to model this weekend. Busy with other home improvement projects and gardening. I did manage to block out most the model from the orthographic references given to me.

That's all for now. Thanks for looking!

Old 05 May 2013   #3
Working on the foot

Old 05 May 2013   #4
It was brought to my attention that my support edges were too dense and that I might have issues baking. I softened them up a fair bit. Im ready to finish this part and move on :P

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread