Epiphone Banjo

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Epiphone Banjo

Since going back to school for electrical engineering I feel my 3D skills slipping so I am taking on a project to model my banjo in my free time. I will be using my banjo as reference obviously but I will post a few pictures for you people to compare my model to. Please comment and critique my work along the way, that would be appreciated.

Software I plan on using: Softimage XSI, Photoshop.

Thanks, Brendan

05 May 2013
References

05 May 2013
First update
got the shell of the body modeled out. Not much of an update I know.

05 May 2013
A fellow banjo player! I also play. Well, try to play. Not really much to comment on yet, but I look forward to seeing this one progress.

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by leigh: A fellow banjo player! I also play. Well, try to play. Not really much to comment on yet, but I look forward to seeing this one progress.

Haha, I try to play as well, I can't say I'm good at it though. Anyway last update for the night.

I'm having some polyflow issues with the ring that has the cut-out shapes. Its pinching but only visible on close-ups. I'll fix it up tomorrow.

05 May 2013
Hey man,

Looks like your off to a good start!

You could maybe try using hard edges to control the smoothing around that gap. I know I troll everyone's modeling thread with the same advice, but it can be a good technique in certain cases. Also try using instantiated models for cloned parts if your not already.

-AJ

05 May 2013
Thanks for your input AJ, I prefer to use beveling over the hard edges function in XSI. As for instancing the multiple objects . . . I should have done that and I still might if I run into problems later.

Here's the next update I couldn't resist applying some materials and throwing in a HDRI (clearly an outside environment but that's fine for now).

05 May 2013
well I think i'm done modelling. Now onto textures and refining the materials. Also I need to think of a good scene to put this in.

Here it is. Also if anyone wants a different angle or an explanation of how I did something. don't hesitate to ask, I'm pretty open with my creation process.

05 May 2013
Ahh man I forgot strings, hahaha. How did I not notice that?

05 May 2013
Some Renders with textures

05 May 2013
Wow, that didn't take long. Impressive speed and a good-looking model.

05 May 2013
thanks guys, there is still a lot of texture work to be done I want to make it look more weathered and used. I'm currently trying to replicate the way the skin looks when it is all scratched which can be seen in one of my references and especially under the strings where a pick guard would be on a guitar.

Here is a quick sketch of an idea that I have in mind for a final image

I want it to be really warn looking maybe like an old photograph.

I might go Landscape with it as well.

any input would be nice, I rarely do full scenes.

05 May 2013
I think if you do them out of the house and not inside it will be better why because the sun or the sun lighting gives a more realistic picture i think is good idea good luck

05 May 2013
Mr-Evil-studio - an outside render you say? hmm I'll see what I can do, maybe a porch with a rocking chair. I'm starting to like that idea better than mine.

I haven't had an update in a couple days. so here's some shader tweeks and a high res image.

someone help me on the best way to age this banjo.

Thread Closed share thread